PDA

View Full Version : quality toy haulers?

bordsmnj
09-11-2006, 07:59 PM
ok. it's almost time to hit the dirt this year and we're fixing to dump the hoopty hornet and get a toy hauler. what i want to know is which ones are junk and which one are gonna still be in good shape a few years down the road. we're looking to buy something that's not new but not old junk either . nothing older than say yr 2000. can't decide wether we want 26-30 foot tow behind or a 30-33 foot 5th wheel. i'm leaning towards tow behind. basically a shorter front sleeper deal. that's what we're looking at. i don't wanna start a pissing contest or so and so's great becuase it's the only one i've owned,blah blah blah. i'm looking for facts and well suported opinions.
so,com'on dirt and sand lovers i know your out there and that your knowin' alot that i aint knowin'. help me out. thanks -jas :)
..or just list brand names from best to worst on down to which ones not even to consider. (i will not buy a carson...EVER!) ought to be interesting anyway.

rivercrazy
09-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Personally I like Weekend Warrior and Ragen. We had a Weekend Warrior FS2300 and it was an awesome trailer. We also rented a 21' Ragen and it was also a very nice well built rig

mbrown2
09-11-2006, 08:07 PM
WW are nice, but Santek's are the s h i t...

bordsmnj
09-11-2006, 08:09 PM
on the rental were there any signs of delam. on the furnature or countertops? any leaks anywhere? did it clear adverse terrain in the dirt all right? hello and how's it going by the way. say hi to jen for me and linda :rollside:

bordsmnj
09-11-2006, 08:11 PM
santek
ww
rage'n
cool.so far so good. i've been lurking over at glammis dunes and wondering which one's the kind.

atomickitn
09-11-2006, 08:11 PM
i dont know shit but just wanted to say hello jas...... i will be looking AT doing the same soon :)

hipcash
09-11-2006, 08:12 PM
Next Level

rivercrazy
09-11-2006, 08:16 PM
on the rental were there any signs of delam. on the furnature or countertops? any leaks anywhere? did it clear adverse terrain in the dirt all right? hello and how's it going by the way. say hi to jen for me and linda :rollside:
Nope. That rig was few years old and solid.
Jason say hello to us to Linda too!
What are you towing with these days? That is huge with whatever trailer you choose. We went the WW superlight route because of the Tundra. It pulled it great but we never had any toys in it

Fire Angler
09-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Weekend Warrior has been Great for us for the last 5 years.

AngryJosh
09-11-2006, 08:19 PM
The officiial rankings are as follows
1)Next Level
2)Keystone Raptor---(this is what I have and its the shiat)
3)Weekend Warrior
4)all the others..................................... :rolleyes:

GAME TIME
09-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Weekend Warrior all the way. They have a good resale value too.

Biglue
09-11-2006, 08:20 PM
We want to get into the the dirt and sand toys eventually. We looked at a few builders and Weekend Warriors were built much nicer IMO. Their construction of the box itself is built with an overlapping roof over the sides. Other's were joint with sort of a weatherstripping type joint. The inside finish on them is nicest as well. Hope that helps you in your decision making. Good luck.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-11-2006, 08:21 PM
WW are nice, but Santek's are the s h i t...
There it is. Santeks are fantastic. Worth a good look.
Holiday Rambler are very well made, but brutally heavy.
Fleetwoods are low line, and it's what I buy.
Fixing some nagging, nuisance thing all the time, but cheap to buy and keep.
Slide out units keep their re-sale best no matter what ya buy.

Chipster27
09-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Weekend Warrior. They are a little more, but hold their value. Many of the TH mfgrs use some kind of fold up table for the dining area (WTF?!?) Almost none of them put a skirt around the couch, looks "unfinished". Cabinets are built incredibly strong.
Been very happy with mine. Ask River918 about his Fleetwood Gearbox and the difference between Fleetwood and Weekend Warrior.
Sure there are some highline trailers shiat look at a K-Z Escallade if you want to spend some $$$

bordsmnj
09-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Nope. That rig was few years old and solid.
Jason say hello to us to Linda too!
What are you towing with these days? That is huge with whatever trailer you choose. We went the WW superlight route because of the Tundra. It pulled it great but we never had any toys in it
f350 diesel.

bordsmnj
09-11-2006, 08:28 PM
i dont know shit but just wanted to say hello jas...... i will be looking AT doing the same soon :)
you guys gotta come out. good times! :cool:

hairysituation
09-11-2006, 08:30 PM
If you get a 28'-32' pull make shure you get a boxed frame I had a 30' c chan frame and the outside walls sagged.Also get one with a good strong floor.

MudPumper
09-11-2006, 08:30 PM
There is a reason why WW is the most popular selling toyhauler and it's not because they are inexpensive. Do some research with the people who sell toyhaulers and they will tell you. Also, you can't beat the ease of towing a 5th compared to a tow behind. Just something to think about.

Warlockjer
09-11-2006, 08:31 PM
We have the Raptor 3612 DS by Keystone. It has worked well for us :)

bordsmnj
09-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior. They are a little more, but hold their value. Many of the TH mfgrs use some kind of fold up table for the dining area (WTF?!?) Almost none of them put a skirt around the couch, looks "unfinished". Cabinets are built incredibly strong.
Been very happy with mine. Ask River918 about his Fleetwood Gearbox and the difference between Fleetwood and Weekend Warrior.
Sure there are some highline trailers shiat look at a K-Z Escallade if you want to spend some $$$
don't wanna get fleiced. i hear yuh loud and clear about those stupid tables. and i like solid cabinets as they tend to take a beating.this thing will spend summers at the river with any luck so i don't want it to be too striped down but don't need total deluxe. just after low maintainence stuff that dion't break. i got dogs and i get muddy. still don't care for the k-mart dinning table though,lol. this is great guys. keep it comming! :boxed:

rivercrazy
09-11-2006, 08:37 PM
spend the coin on upgrading to a 15.5 A/C unit up to about 26 feet. If you go bigger, go dual A/C for the river......

bordsmnj
09-11-2006, 08:38 PM
If you get a 28'-32' pull make shure you get a boxed frame I had a 30' c chan frame and the outside walls sagged.Also get one with a good strong floor.i like the idea of the aluminum tude steal boxed frame. who all uses this in their design?

bordsmnj
09-11-2006, 08:39 PM
spend the coin on upgrading to a 15.5 A/C unit up to about 26 feet. If you go bigger, go dual A/C for the river......
oh, gotta put that down in bold italics in my notes here. good call.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-11-2006, 08:41 PM
i like the idea of the aluminum tude steal boxed frame. who all uses this in their design?
I think Holiday Rambler

rivercrazy
09-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Check with Hustler about his new WW 32' tow behind. I've seen it and its SUPER nice. He appears to be very happy with the rig

andy01
09-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Go WW, there are a ton of them on the market pre-owned. They seem to last and people are happy with them. Go tag 30'. By far a tag is easier to sell then a fifth wheel. Also remember they year these trailers as early as they can. In other words if you buy a 2004 trailer it could have been finished and used in early 03. So it would have like 4 seasons on it now. Good luck, also remember trailers go for about a grand a foot brand new.
Andy

andy01
09-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Don't forget most pre-owned trailers are over priced by a couple a thousand. Some more. Do your homework on price. And watch this for used ones.......
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showforum=99

bignet
09-11-2006, 08:54 PM
Can't go wrong with a Titan...aka FunRunner. Bought a 24' toy hauler with all the bells and whistles, electric beds, AC, etc.. for under $16,000. Not bad considering what I would've paid for a Weekend Warrior of the same length. $150 payments per month. Definately not a Weekend Warrior, but also not as heavy either.
:crossx:
bignet

Biglue
09-11-2006, 08:54 PM
One more thing Bordsmnj. The mark up on these things are pretty big. I was at One of the Giant RV locations and looking at the 26 footer. In an effort to pressure me into buying on the spot the salesperson knocked 25% off the invoice price. Just thought you could have that bit of info handy if you decide to buy new. There is definitely room to haggle. :rollside:

Chipster27
09-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Also remember they year these trailers as early as they can. In other words if you buy a 2004 trailer it could have been finished and used in early 03.
True dat. I ordered my 2006 in 2004 and took delivery in 2005. By the books it's only 9 months old, but in reality it's a year and a half!
Of course some auto mfgrs are doing the same thing I picked up my 2006 Benz in May of 2005. :rollside:

Danhercules
09-11-2006, 09:31 PM
The Top of the line is an ALFA. The Toyhouse. Them are the $hit!! Lots of $$ though. They will last a long time. I am gonna get one some day!

cdog
09-11-2006, 10:12 PM
My dad just bought the 33ft. WW 5th wheel. He paid 39.5k OTD for it. Loaded with all the goodies. Shop around. The WW cheat on the production year. They are calling an 06 a 07 or 08 by now. Most used sellers were jokers. They want within 1k of new price.
When I looked at them with him I liked the Vortex trailer.

riverbound
09-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Alfa.
It might be a little big for what you are looking for but we have been very happy with ours.
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17548&stc=1

roln 20s
09-11-2006, 11:42 PM
Great thread with great info--I plan on buying one in March after the sand season and in time for the boating season. I had my eyes on these three in this order- your thoughts. I want to use it at the Islander RV resort for the summer but be able to hold a long travel sandrail for my future desert hobby (planning ahead).
Fleetwood Gearbox 300FS
Weekend Warrior FS3000
Keystone Raptor 3018
I planned on buying a used one, but if the deals are right, maybe I will just get a new one.
Your thoughts and feedback is very appreciative. BTW- never heard of Santek, I need to check these out.
Roln 20s

atomickitn
09-12-2006, 05:54 AM
you guys gotta come out. good times! :cool:
we are planning on it! hope all is well with you guys :cool:

atomickitn
09-12-2006, 05:59 AM
Alfa.
It might be a little big for what you are looking for but we have been very happy with ours.
damm baller ....that thing needs a foundation under it..... :cool: very nice though.

havasu5150
09-12-2006, 06:06 AM
Go to the Sand Sport Super Show in Costa Mesa othis weekend....every manufacturer will have their stuff on display.
I used to have a Frontier (same as Dunes) Loved it. no problems. Don't think they are building them anymore. They got out when the big motorhome manufacturers jumped into the toyhauler market. Also go to Carl's Acres of Trailers on Holt in Ontario. The sale guy (jerry) was an ass, but they have good deals.

racecar.hotshoe
09-12-2006, 06:20 AM
Alfa.
There trailers are top notch well built................But Jonny creen is a top notch prick.I know I used to haul his racecar for him.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
09-12-2006, 06:35 AM
Alfa.
I have always been very happy with your toybox too! :rollside:

havaduner
09-12-2006, 06:50 AM
I have owned several toyboxes over the years. All Warriors, have looked at others, always come back to WW. I would look strongly at a 5th wheel over a tow behind if your gonna go over 26-28 ft. they just tow sooooo much better.

RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
09-12-2006, 06:51 AM
They all weigh more than claimed
Carlisle tires are junk
Santeks are extremely heavy
Store indoors, or they fall apart
A used WW is older than advertised, They jump the gun on model years
A Generac generator WILL break down
Get the 15.5 AC or two
Make sure your stuff will all fit
Wack 20% of the price for the word GO
A lifted 3/4 ton truck pulling a fully loaded 38' 5er is a death wish
Just my observations

Bense468
09-12-2006, 07:37 AM
SANTEK TRAILERS (http://santektrailers.com/index.html)
If your looking for a QUALITY trailer. Hard to beat a WW for the price but they are pretty light.

sleekcraft78
09-12-2006, 07:55 AM
I have a Additude. bought it in 2003 and have only had one problem with it. The fresh water tanks braket screws snapped. For the money it is great. They always have the same floor plan as the ww but are about 15k cheaper. I really don't need corion counter tops while I'm camping.
I'm not saying everything was perfect in it but they have come along ways sense I got mine. I think I have the 50th built. Make sure you spend the extra cash on fiberglass siding. Cleaning mine sucks...
Oh, and don't screw on the table it will go though the floor.
I have a Additude. bought it in 2003 and have only had one problem with it. The fresh water tanks braket screws snapped. For the money it is great. They always have the same floor plan as the ww but are about 15k cheaper. I really don't need corion counter tops while I'm camping.
I'm not saying everything was perfect in it but they have come along ways sense I got mine. I think I have the 50th built. Make sure you spend the extra cash on fiberglass siding. Cleaning mine sucks...
Oh, and don't screw on the table it will go though the floor.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/15191CIMG0248-med.JPG

Mrs. casean
09-12-2006, 07:56 AM
How did I miss this thread? Time to trailer shop! Woohoo! I shop everyday and we're not even buying a new one... unless you'd like a 26' FB WW :D :p You know we love our WW and that's what we're looking at for the next trailer... We've had a Carson and it was great for our first trailer, not a single problem and very affordable. But it was time to step up and Sean was all about the structure and of course I liked the inside :D So we went w/ the WW based on the structure and the flooring and all that...
I'm not going to knock any trailers but the one I'd stay away from based on seeing it fall apart first hand is Santek. I could go on and on about what has happened to his, but I'll save you the details. He has got the worst customer service out of them and as most know, they are not cheap trailers. So he's very unhappy to say the least. He's had it for 5 years now but from the start, it has been falling apart and customer service would not help him out at all so he had to go to my cousin's husband who is the service manager at Affordable RV for help and has had to pay out of pocket for everything, even the linoleum curling up.
I'm just sharing what I know based on what I've seen w/ my brothers trailer... sucks to pay so much money for a trailer and see it rust, fridge work now and then and rubber molding strips fall off on the freeway...
Just do your homework and compare it all just so you really know what will be best for your toys, comfort, price and likes... happy shopping Jason & Linda!

sleekcraft78
09-12-2006, 08:01 AM
Couple more things to think about
If your going to be going down any washboard or rough roads the look away from the alluminum frames. I don't know first hand but I hear they crack. The wood frame give alittle

Mrs. Bordsmnj
09-12-2006, 08:34 AM
How did I miss this thread? Time to trailer shop! Woohoo! I shop everyday and we're not even buying a new one... unless you'd like a 26' FB WW :D :p You know we love our WW and that's what we're looking at for the next trailer... We've had a Carson and it was great for our first trailer, not a single problem and very affordable. But it was time to step up and Sean was all about the structure and of course I liked the inside :D So we went w/ the WW based on the structure and the flooring and all that...
I'm not going to knock any trailers but the one I'd stay away from based on seeing it fall apart first hand is Santek. I could go on and on about what has happened to his, but I'll save you the details. He has got the worst customer service out of them and as most know, they are not cheap trailers. So he's very unhappy to say the least. He's had it for 5 years now but from the start, it has been falling apart and customer service would not help him out at all so he had to go to my cousin's husband who is the service manager at Affordable RV for help and has had to pay out of pocket for everything, even the linoleum curling up.
I'm just sharing what I know based on what I've seen w/ my brothers trailer... sucks to pay so much money for a trailer and see it rust, fridge work now and then and rubber molding strips fall off on the freeway...
Just do your homework and compare it all just so you really know what will be best for your toys, comfort, price and likes... happy shopping Jason & Linda!
26" Front Sleeper is what I want. Front sleeper is a must. And I would be pretty happy if I had an oven too but I can do without. :rollside: I prefer a 5th wheel but I think 26' is the biggest we can fit without having to get a storage place and it seems the smallest 5th wheel is 30'. Who knows!
I cannot wait. I am so over the Hoopty Hornet!
Woo-hoo Linds! Riding season is almost here!!
xoxo

Mrs. casean
09-12-2006, 08:56 AM
26" Front Sleeper is what I want. Front sleeper is a must. And I would be pretty happy if I had an oven too but I can do without. :rollside: I prefer a 5th wheel but I think 26' is the biggest we can fit without having to get a storage place and it seems the smallest 5th wheel is 30'. Who knows!
I cannot wait. I am so over the Hoopty Hornet!
Woo-hoo Linds! Riding season is almost here!!
xoxo
That's our dilema right now too! We want the front bedroom but to get that we lose out on our storage space for the bikes/rhino so we have to go at least w/ a 30 towable but we can't fit that on the side of the house in our RV parking :cry: What to do what to do. We too want a 5th wheel but we'd for sure lose our storage space so we MAY get the 28 front bedroom next. As long as we can fit it in and then just put a bike in the bed of the truck. Decisions decisions! For sure get the front bedroom though, those drunk nights climbing up and down that damn ladder to go to the bathroom is really getting old :p We'll be in Ocotillo for october 28th weekend... will we see you there w/ a new trailer??? :D

Havasu Luvr
09-12-2006, 08:57 AM
Well ! let's be honest about a Toy Hauler purchase. It all boils down to the mighty buck. The price usually dictates how big and how much amenities are involved. I have never sat down and considered "RESALE" as an option in my decision. When I purchase extra toys it is usually with intentions of keeping it for as long as I am enjoying it. Most Haulers are pretty much the same with a few differences such as "Standard or Extra Options". Some mfg can get alittle crazy with amenities while other are the average standards. Since you are considering USED then you options are now limited as what is available on the used market. The only advantage you have with purchasing power is todays RV market and the high fuel prices. Dont get me wrong there are some GREAT deals out there but how often do we get those deals? We always hear about those GREAT deals from friends (always in the wrong place..lol). Before I purchased I watch the different trailers traveling down the hwys. TO be honest with you most name brand trailers were simular as all picture windows (exterior walls) flexed with the twisting of the roadways. On dips I would watch from the side to see how much the frame would flex with the dips in the roads...etc etc.. One of the reason I went with Fury is because the interior wall paneling had 3 layers of alum sheeting laminated into the paneling. There is NO flexing on any of the exterior walls. Also there is NO fender wells in my floor space inside. I have a true 98" interior and the price was right. While most other mfg were NOT willing to move on their MSRP of $45K with simular options Fury was willing to move to make a sale, They moved down to $34K with added feature such as adding a 15K AC unit in the Master/slide bedroom, upgrading the fuel cell to 26gal and installing the towing kit. I would overall advise you to just look and take your time. Decide what is important to your needs and go from there. Good luck in your HUNT.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/39PA292236.JPG

SoCalHD
09-12-2006, 09:09 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/39PA292236.JPG
HEY!!! Shouldn't that thing be in Havasu so we can come wake you up at 2:00am??????? And where did you say the keys to the golf cart were??? :crossx: :crossx:

Sleek-Jet
09-12-2006, 09:17 AM
FWIW Jason,
Having dealt with delamination problems on the last few RV's I've owned, next time I'm getting something made out of metal... Holiday Ramblers are high on the list...
I don't know if that's possible in the toy hauler ranks, but it's worth looking into.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
09-12-2006, 09:22 AM
FWIW Jason,
Having dealt with delamination problems on the last few RV's I've owned, next time I'm getting something made out of metal... Holiday Ramblers are high on the list...
I don't know if that's possible in the toy hauler ranks, but it's worth looking into.
What the heck does FWIW stand for??
Is it some secret code for "have you seen my husband or my lighter?" :D

Havasu Luvr
09-12-2006, 09:24 AM
HEY!!! Shouldn't that thing be in Havasu so we can come wake you up at 2:00am??????? And where did you say the keys to the golf cart were??? :crossx: :crossx:
Hey now, That was just wrong. You guys know I need my beauty sleep. I didnt even get to bring it home this past weekend. Heading up in a few weeks to bring it home.... You going to be out there next weekend? 23 Sept?
BTW..I sleep with the keys in my pillowcase. I've heard rumor about some of the RENTERS in the park...... :rolleyes:

Havasu Luvr
09-12-2006, 09:25 AM
I think it's for "Fock Week in Worrior"
:cool:

Sleek-Jet
09-12-2006, 09:26 AM
LOL... I think he's downstairs somewhere... sorry don't have a lighter either... :D :D :D
FWIW = For What It's Worth...

SoCalHD
09-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Hey now, That was just wrong. You guys know I need my beauty sleep. I didnt even get to bring it home this past weekend. Heading up in a few weeks to bring it home.... You going to be out there next weekend? 23 Sept?
BTW..I sleep with the keys in my pillowcase. I've heard rumor about some of the RENTERS in the park...... :rolleyes:
Amy and I are heading out thurs. the 21st till the 25th.....we are going to be in Laughlin, but might come down for one of the days....

sleekcraft78
09-12-2006, 09:47 AM
What is the overall length you can have? My 26' aditude is 30.5' overall. It has a front sleeper, I don't think there is a shorter trailer that offers a front sleeper that is shorter? My 26 goes for about 26k new and loaded.

DesertGirl
09-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Forest River, Next level, weekend warrior, Rage'n.
Dont get a dunes, they fall apart. Ask Brian, we looked at every possible brand out there for almost a year before we got the forest river. We really liked the sierra.
Hopefully see you friday night? At the sand sport super show? They will have trailers there too.

OldYeller
09-12-2006, 10:56 AM
Don't get stuck on looking at just one specific brand. Some are definately more popluar, like WW, and they do make a good hauler. But keep in mind that all of these companies bang out these trailers at world record speeds. There will always be good trailers and lemons with every brand. When looking at a unit, look at the siding, see if there is any buckleing or delamination going on. Most people dont take the time to go on the roof -- get up there!!! Walk on it, some flex is normal, but if you feel like your going to fall through -- your done looking at that one. Most toyhaulers go to the beach, pull off the outside refrigerator access panel and look at the cooling unit,if it shows rust, there could be isssues. Oh yeah, and never - ever, buy wilthout actually feeling that the refrigerator is actually cold!!!!!!!!! Too many horror stories about how "they said it gets cold". Refrigerators average around $1500 and up plus install. Also pay attention to the doors. Try twisting them to see if they are rigid, if they flex it has most likely delaminated - not good. I have been repairing RVs for some time now, and by far, the biggest mistake made is not throughly checking everything out and trusting what the seller says. Good luck.

whiteworks
09-12-2006, 05:56 PM
I had Santek build me a trailer in 2001 when they were in Brea. I use it for work a couple of time a week. so far I have not had one problem with it. It was pretty cool dealing with those guys. I went by during the build alot and every time It cost me about another grand because I would look at other trailers they were building and see things that just made sense. The reason that I chose Santek was that they are are like burger king you get it your way. all square steel tubing welded all the way around I forget what gauge they use but it is solid as a rock. I do the full detail about three times a year and it looks as good as the day I picked it up. I rearended a turck while pulling it once I bent my slide hitch but the treiler was fine. I backed it off a driveway/embankment/ravine loaded with about 8000 lbs of material in it and had to call a crane to lift the back of the truck and front of the trailer up and boom it back over to the driveway "Ill see if I can find the photos of the crane incedent" all and all this trailer is tough and functional for my needs. during the bulid I took a freind with me who occasionally works with me, he is about 4" taller than me and when we were walking through another trailer he hit his head on the lights. my trailer did not have the walls yet so I went in the office and told terry to raise the roof 3" not as much as a question just said no problem and that was that. if your going to have one built do your homework on what you want and list everything you can think of it gets hard to remeber all the details when it time to design and build. they will accomadate every request you just got to pay for it.

SoCalSouthpaw
09-12-2006, 06:08 PM
I traded my 26' Dunes for one of these 19ftr's. Thing is setup pretty cool. Its got a gene, 20 gallon gas tank w/ elec pump, an aircompressor, outdoor shower and get this..a pressure washer, dual elec bunks, and finally, a 750W Kenwood sound system, that has a 12' and is swtichable to the outside.
See for yourself..
http://www.fleetwoodrv.com/nitrous/

whiteworks
09-12-2006, 06:24 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2879MVC-005F.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2879MVC-014F.JPG this occurred on a sunday Vic's crane service is the bomb

Waldo
09-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Shop around for sure...
If you look in the trader for toy haulers...I think there's a reason WW's far out number the other brands in there. Maybe it's the volume (marketing)they sell or maybe it's the quality (of which I was told). My sister owns a 30 footer and has never had problems. However, I've heard 10x as many stories of WW product failure/cust serv sux. I'm sure you'll hear the WW success stories as well. Do your homework kids.
Kind of like the DCB crew vs. Elim vs. Ultra vs. Shock vs. etc.................

DesertDog
09-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Do a search for rv.net forums.They have just about any info you want on RV's and there is a toy hauler forum.Be sure to check out the trailers by KZ,especially if your looking for a 5th wheel.They are top notch and even have some nice floorplans with built in garages and slideouts in trailers that aren't very long.
This model is pricey but it gives you an example of what the company is capable of.www.kz-rv.com/brochures/kz07_escalade_sportster.pdf

Screemy1
09-12-2006, 07:42 PM
it is a hard choice, I had a toy hauler... found myself wanting to camp with the boat too.... So now we have a small class c motorhome, and for the bikes a trailer that hold some tools, a bbq, two big bikes and our sons lil bike, and a golf cart.... that so far has been great with the exception that we hardly have time to go out in them :(

bordsmnj
09-12-2006, 08:23 PM
well i've been meticulusly(sp?) going through adds and putting them in the nada guides(can't find kelly book for rv's online) and it seems that ALL these things are over priced??? i'm not bitching about the prices yet just wondering what i'm missing. is everyone upside down on these things?

Mrs. casean
09-13-2006, 07:09 AM
well i've been meticulusly(sp?) going through adds and putting them in the nada guides(can't find kelly book for rv's online) and it seems that ALL these things are over priced??? i'm not bitching about the prices yet just wondering what i'm missing. is everyone upside down on these things?
Maybe becuase they took money out of their house to pay for it and have an interest only mortgage and are not feeling the pain of it so want to squeeze every dime out of someone they can and sell it? Just my guess.There are at ton on trailers for sale on GlamisDunes.com too you should check out. At least it may also give you more of an idea what they are selling for used. Lots of really nice used ones out there too! Well keep on doing your homework Jason! You'll be happy you did and like someone said earlier, there are lemons w/ every manufacturer and everyone has a story whether they paid big bucks or bought the cheaper trailer out there. Good luck & hopefully we'll meet up w/ you guys this desert season at least once this year! :D

dunerking
09-13-2006, 07:59 AM
We have a Keystone Raptor 5er 33,and love this set-up.I had a WW before this,but my Raptor is much nicer,the Alumaframe structure is a nice touch.Goodluck

Sun burners
09-13-2006, 08:05 AM
Santek.

catman-do
09-13-2006, 08:10 AM
I have a 2004 28' Sandpiper for sale!!! Im just wanting payoff (i believe its around 17200).
Santeks- Very nice trailers!!
Keystone- Very nice, some lack storage space (if you have a rail)
WW- IMO they are "over hyped", Ive got friends with them that have problems just like every one else.
Forrest River- Ive owned two and neither has given me any problems, however I have heard stories and it seems that how happy the customer is depends on how well the service dept was)
GearBox- DONOT BUY!!! Ive got three friends with them and they all have major headaches! Delaming, cabinets, slides not going in.
Carson- POS
Attitude- lower end units
Also when looking at these different brands keep in mind how long they have been around, because manuf warranties arent good if the manuf isnt in business.
WW is popular because it was the first company to come out with a toyhauler in 89, also the first company to offer a "wide body" design. On the down side they almost went out of business when Bob (Giant RV) gave the owner of WW a 300k front to help him out. The money problems were due to units not selling and service issues with the units out there. So dont let people misslead you to believe WW is the night in shining armor.
A few things to consider:
-Towing capacity of your f350- aluminum is alot lighter than fiberglass sides.
-Fifth wheels are a little easier to pull.
-what type of toys are you going to put in it. (storage area needed).
- If you only have bikes and quads, maybe look at something with a garage and 2-3 slides in the living areas so you have more room for the dogs.

Magic
09-13-2006, 08:36 AM
We purchased a 3612 Raptor last year, and we really love it. We keep it at the river during the summer and use the garage as a spare bedroom, then we bring it home during the winter for desert riding trips. (If your using a toyhauler suring the summer make sure to get the 2nd A/C Unit)
We also liked the WW, and Alfa Toyhouse. If we were looking again, would definetly look at the KZ Escalade 41cks.

Hustler
09-13-2006, 09:22 AM
I can tell you this. STAY AWAY from the Gear Box. Fleetwood had the worst customer service I have ever delt with. It took over a year to settle the multiple problems delt with. They denied warrenty work that was on our due bill and were just a complete pain in the ass to deal with.
Our new FSW3200 has been an awsome trailer so far and the WW service department has pretty good to deal with. The WW has a life time structural warrenty but on to original purchaser. If you buy a new WW make sure you go through Head Injury over on the Glamis Dunes boards he'll give you a great price and if you ever have any problems with it he has some pull with WW. All trailer mfg have good and bad about them and it's all about what makes you happy. If have any more questions just give a call.

MBMOSEBILT
09-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Just got a WW FSC3200. It rocks!

77charger
09-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Carson- POS
Why is that i have one and have had no probs with it.I know they dont come with all the bling etc.But i do get a/c,heat,shitter,shower,table,and a warm dry place to sleep knowing i dont have to worry about a rubber roof that has to be checked out evry 6 months!!I agree though every manfctr will have probs i have read alot about it on rv forums and glamis dunes too.
I know add up the options and they get pricey but then again i'd rather pick the stuff i want vs paying more for stuff i dont need that comes with it regardless.
I have heard too they dont hold resale but for my trailer a new one goes for 11.4k i can most likely sell mine for 9k and it is a 03 model so 2.5k less after 3.5 years aint all that bad percentage wise (more expensive trailers pay more they sell for more just a biger number to play with)