PDA

View Full Version : Night rides

Tom Brown
09-11-2006, 09:40 PM
It always starts the same way. ... feelin' kinda tired... got up at 5am to drink some foul tasting shit.... in the name of science... no big deal because I had to get to work early anyway, took some time off to have a medical procedure done that gave me the shits real bad, and then after work went straight from work to a buddy's place to help him move. That's plenty of excuses to be tired.
Once home, I made some dinner and sat down to the computer. It's a little late to do much. Maybe Jbb is online. He's always more than pleased to beat the shit out of me. I haven't been on ***boat in a while...
After the better part of an hour of sitting at the computer, I feel like my ass is glued to the chair.
... but I crave the trail. Wouldn't it be great to head out on the bike? Maybe just 20 minutes, or so, before bed.
... so I went out. It was glorious. If there was a nicer fall evening, I don't recall it. It was about 50*F, barely a breath of wind. The trees are just starting to change color. The lake was almost a perfect mirror... so flat that the reflection of the legislature was just as bright as looking at the building itself but just enough surface motion to make the reflected walking path lights twinkle a bit.
Ten minutes into the ride, I'm feeling pretty good about life. The tree scented air tasted delicious. It was like having one of those pine tree air fresheners in your car... only better.
Fifteen minutes into the ride, I find my chest getting warm. My head is sharp, thoughts are clear, and my legs are wanting to work.
By the twenty minute point, I'm hunched up over the handlebars, hammering the peddles like I'm on my way to one of SYA's parties. Screw Lance Armstrong. I own these paths.
There's no stopping now. There never is.
I frequently leave the house feeling like my ass is dragging, thinking I'll just go for a short ride. I've never gone on abbreviated ride. Never. It's always over an hour of pretty hard riding.
Now that I'm back, I've gotta say... I feel pretty terrific. :)
Oh... if you see Lance, don't mention what I said. Just tell him I said 'Hi' and let him know I'm still up here in the north, doing well, feeling great, and living strong. :cool:
http://www.carlsonspeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/img_0768.jpg

No Name
09-11-2006, 10:10 PM
I don’t do any night riding, but I do get in 15 miles a day. Some days I don’t feel like going but I force myself to do it because I know how good it makes me feel once I get rolling.
I have to say, I love ridding my bike. :)

Tom Brown
09-11-2006, 10:16 PM
I have to say, I love ridding my bike. :)
You're good people, No Name. :)

No Name
09-11-2006, 10:30 PM
You're good people, No Name. :)
Right back at ya TB. :)

Jbb
09-12-2006, 12:54 AM
Dont let him bullshit ya folks.....Brown likes the feeling of sitting on his own nutz...he's weird that way.... :p
....btw Tom......does the new nose ring create a loud whistle on the downhill run like you had hoped?
http://www.wildboston.com/media-091106-wewillremember/picture/31_podborka_39.jpg

Tom Brown
09-12-2006, 07:32 AM
......does the new nose ring create a loud whistle on the downhill run like you had hoped?
Only when I exhale.

Ryphraph
09-12-2006, 07:44 AM
I used to do 2 or 3 night rides a week. I really miss them, and riding in general. I need to find a way to get back to riding 5 or 6 times a week.
Ryph

soupersonic
09-12-2006, 08:32 AM
http://www.wildboston.com/media-091106-wewillremember/picture/31_podborka_39.jpg
I saw a kid at the mall the other day (wife dragged me there) that looked like that except with a slightly smaller ring and these dredlock things for hair.I wonder what he was thinking as i laughed out loud at him to his face?

NautiTwins
09-12-2006, 08:38 AM
I used to go on weekly night rides, then I got married, had twins with another on the way. Now a days I walk past the bike every morning on my way out to the trash can to throw away the diapers and beer cans.. I did get new tubes for the bike though, thinking I was going take her for a ride one of these days. It pains me to see her hanging on the wall like a piece of art.

Sleek-Jet
09-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Never picked you for a Hasslehoff fan Brown... :idea:

superdave013
09-12-2006, 09:04 AM
There's a big azz mountian lion in the spot were we ride. (I'm sure there's more then one) The lead guy in our group saw it last Tuesday. Said it was a big focker too.
I still ride out there a few times a week. But when on the less traveled trails by myself I can't help but think about it. lol
As a matter O fact I'm going out there today right after work. :)

superdave013
09-12-2006, 09:18 AM
oh yes, after that dose of Tom Brown inspiration I'll be starting a nice relaxing bike ride today right at 5:00PM.
I would say at about 5:50 I'll be rolling through this spot. :)
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/48P082406059_resize.jpg

NautiTwins
09-12-2006, 09:47 AM
oh yes, after that dose of Tom Brown inspiration I'll be starting a nice relaxing bike ride today right at 5:00PM.
I would say at about 5:50 I'll be rolling through this spot. :)
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/48P082406059_resize.jpg
Nice bike. How does she climb. LOL

superdave013
09-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Nice bike. How does she climb. LOL
pretty good for what it is.
Santa Cruz Bullet with a pretty light build. It's right at the 34 pound mark. Not bad for a 7" wheel travel bike.
I've got a Brooklyn downhill bike that's a real pig. It's so heavy it's hard to push. lol But worth it every time. :)

NautiTwins
09-12-2006, 10:05 AM
pretty good for what it is.
Santa Cruz Bullet with a pretty light build. It's right at the 34 pound mark. Not bad for a 7" wheel travel bike.
I've got a Brooklyn downhill bike that's a real pig. It's so heavy it's hard to push. lol But worth it every time. :)
LOL. When I was riding a lot (200 miles or so a week) I tried out the Santa Cruz and just about killed myself in the parking lot. It made me feel like superman.
I will always love my Klien though. Attitude Race XTR. I just need to get in shape to enjoy it again.

Devilman
09-12-2006, 10:17 AM
I used to go on weekly night rides, then I got married, had twins with another on the way. Now a days I walk past the bike every morning on my way out to the trash can to throw away the diapers and beer cans.. I did get new tubes for the bike though, thinking I was going take her for a ride one of these days. It pains me to see her hanging on the wall like a piece of art.
What is it with hanging stuff on the wall. last time you were talking about hanging your jetboat on the garage wall, LOL.... :rollside:

superdave013
09-12-2006, 10:23 AM
LOL. When I was riding a lot (200 miles or so a week) I tried out the Santa Cruz and just about killed myself in the parking lot. It made me feel like superman.
I will always love my Klien though. Attitude Race XTR. I just need to get in shape to enjoy it again.
you prolly were close to superman putting in that kind of milage. I don't do half of that. Just ride for the fun of it. Make a point of doing the every Tues & Thursday untill the time changes.

Rexone
09-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Be careful out there dave.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17552&stc=1

NautiTwins
09-12-2006, 11:10 AM
you prolly were close to superman putting in that kind of milage. I don't do half of that. Just ride for the fun of it. Make a point of doing the every Tues & Thursday untill the time changes.
Most of it was commuting to work. I did it straight for one year, just to see if I could work in a professional environment (Shirt and Tie) and make it work. I was doing 36 miles a day, night ride once a week in the hills, then a play day on sat. or sun on our local trails.
GOD I MISS BEING IN SHAPE> Just thinking about a 1/2 day climb makes me tired now. LOL

NautiTwins
09-12-2006, 11:10 AM
Be careful out there dave.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17552&stc=1
Now that is funny!

NautiTwins
09-12-2006, 11:19 AM
What is it with hanging stuff on the wall. last time you were talking about hanging your jetboat on the garage wall, LOL.... :rollside:
LMAO. I have this thing about stuff just laying around on the garage floor. it needs to have its proper spot off the ground. If I could suspend the cars somehow then I would be in really good shape.

Froggystyle
09-12-2006, 11:26 AM
I feel you Brown...
I asked for the entire group of folks associated with anything to do with Christmas presents for me to get together last year and buy me a really nice HID rig for the helmet and a good quality Halogen for the bars to make shadows for depth perception.
Now my problem is, nobody I ride with has a good setup. :(
So, I have a bitchin light setup charging eternally in the corner of my office.

NautiTwins
09-12-2006, 11:32 AM
I feel you Brown...
I asked for the entire group of folks associated with anything to do with Christmas presents for me to get together last year and buy me a really nice HID rig for the helmet and a good quality Halogen for the bars to make shadows for depth perception.
Now my problem is, nobody I ride with has a good setup. :(
So, I have a bitchin light setup charging eternally in the corner of my office.
Just be the leader. One of the guys we used to ride with had a really nice setup and we would put him upfront on the downhills. Luckily he was fast enough and kept a good pace. The guys behind went off his light and it worked great.

3 daytona`s
09-12-2006, 08:30 PM
It always starts the same way. ... feelin' kinda tired... got up at 5am to drink some foul tasting shit.... in the name of science... no big deal because I had to get to work early anyway, took some time off to have a medical procedure done that gave me the shits real bad, and then after work went straight from work to a buddy's place to help him move. That's plenty of excuses to be tired.
Once home, I made some dinner and sat down to the computer. It's a little late to do much. Maybe Jbb is online. He's always more than pleased to beat the shit out of me. I haven't been on ***boat in a while...
After the better part of an hour of sitting at the computer, I feel like my ass is glued to the chair.
... but I crave the trail. Wouldn't it be great to head out on the bike? Maybe just 20 minutes, or so, before bed.
... so I went out. It was glorious. If there was a nicer fall evening, I don't recall it. It was about 50*F, barely a breath of wind. The trees are just starting to change color. The lake was almost a perfect mirror... so flat that the reflection of the legislature was just as bright as looking at the building itself but just enough surface motion to make the reflected walking path lights twinkle a bit.
Ten minutes into the ride, I'm feeling pretty good about life. The tree scented air tasted delicious. It was like having one of those pine tree air fresheners in your car... only better.
Fifteen minutes into the ride, I find my chest getting warm. My head is sharp, thoughts are clear, and my legs are wanting to work.
By the twenty minute point, I'm hunched up over the handlebars, hammering the peddles like I'm on my way to one of SYA's parties. Screw Lance Armstrong. I own these paths.
There's no stopping now. There never is.
I frequently leave the house feeling like my ass is dragging, thinking I'll just go for a short ride. I've never gone on abbreviated ride. Never. It's always over an hour of pretty hard riding.
Now that I'm back, I've gotta say... I feel pretty terrific. :)
Oh... if you see Lance, don't mention what I said. Just tell him I said 'Hi' and let him know I'm still up here in the north, doing well, feeling great, and living strong. :cool:
http://www.carlsonspeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/img_0768.jpg
A never seen before photo from ET :) priceless

Rexone
09-13-2006, 02:31 AM
Tom didn't really ride at night. He just put the bike in the driveway and shot a pic in his lame attempt to attract chicks.