PDA

View Full Version : 460--blowing oil out of breathers... help

thinkblue83
09-11-2006, 10:47 PM
ive got a 460 in a 81 crusader and am experiencing oil blowing out of the breathers at about 4200rpm and up. i was running 1 breather and one cap and then went to 2 breathers. the valve covers are the edelbrock signature series and have 2 push in breathers and am still experiencing oil blowing out. i thought maybe a pcv valve would help but its still happening. oil pressure is always very good and the boat is running great, my thinking is that the push in breathers just arent made for high pressure and need higher quality breathers such as the bolt in models. so im looking for a good set of valve covers that have the bolt in breathers but am having a difficult time finding them for the 460.
has anyone experienced this with the 460 and can offer any advice??
i appreciate any feedback, thanks

mirrorimage
09-11-2006, 11:14 PM
well the first thing to say that ...this is a very common problem with aftermarket valve covers .. now with a ford . the rockers. and pushrods sling oil all over the place and if you look on stock valve covers they have a small plate covering the opening part way to keep the oil inside ... i had the same issue with my ford ,and the pcv valve was pulling oil into the intake manifold... wich gave me a weird signature on the plugs... running the tall breathers is one way to solve the problem ,and on a friends motor he also runs a foam inside the breather also .. i have mine going to a canister that is higher than the covers and when the motor isnt runnng the oil drains back to the motor ... i hope that helps ya out .... i know ive been there ... good luck .. :) :) :rollside:

SmokinLowriderSS
09-12-2006, 02:42 AM
Yes, as mi said, see if you have "baffled" valve covers, that one is step 1. That usually covers most of the problem. Then a PCV can help too (as long as it has a baffled opening too) by reducing pressure in the inside of the engine that pushes oil droplets into the breathers.

IMPATIENT 1
09-12-2006, 05:26 AM
my bbf will spit out @1/10 a quart every 4hrs of runnin.i baffled the covers,installed larger breathers on both covers and it still does it.mill has @45hrs on it, no leak down probs, just a ford thing i guess.next yr. i'll have a evac system.

09-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Its not a valvecover problem. From what you have described it is excessive pressure in the crankcase. It can leakdown test just fine but the rings can unseat at higher rpms causing too much pressure. You might have a ring or a ring land problem. Has the engine ever been overheated?

beerjet
09-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Mine did the same thing . I was told that the rings are just worn . I bought a set of valve covers with baffles and push in breathers and it pushed the silicon out of the back of the manifold. After all that I put in a push in breather that has a PVC valve in it and the top of the breather unscrews(autozone) and of course the hose to the manifold . Problem solved I guess , more like a band-aide really for me but when I unscrew the breather there is very little oil in it. I'm just glad it's not just a chevy thing. :p
-beerjet-

beerjet
09-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Its not a valvecover problem. From what you have described it is excessive pressure in the crankcase. It can leakdown test just fine but the rings can unseat at higher rpms causing too much pressure. You might have a ring or a ring land problem.
BTW - I'm with you on this one .
-beerjet-

460 jus getn it
09-12-2006, 12:35 PM
I had the same problem out of my ford. Went to pcv on the passanger side and breather on the drivers side and the problem went away. I only had the problem when i was WOT for a long period of time. Leak down test was fine.

Devilman
09-12-2006, 12:43 PM
I had the same problem out of my ford. Went to pcv on the passanger side and breather on the drivers side and the problem went away. I only had the problem when i was WOT for a long period of time. Leak down test was fine.
I started LMAO when I saw you posted in this thread. :D

Biglue
09-12-2006, 12:49 PM
:rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

460 jus getn it
09-12-2006, 12:55 PM
I started LMAO when I saw you posted in this thread. :D
And i started cracking up when i saw you posted this...Lets not get this place in an up-roar. They need there rest round here. You know they have to save up for the next CP THREAD............................................ ........

Devilman
09-12-2006, 12:58 PM
And i started cracking up when i saw you posted this...Lets not get this place in an up-roar. They need there rest round here. You know they have to save up for the next CP THREAD............................................ ........
LMAO, good point.:D