PDA

View Full Version : Out of the closet

vdrivenman
09-12-2006, 03:27 AM
kinda in a way! out of the blue a guy called me last week and wanted to buy my Liberator o/b i had for sale.which i had given up on selling this year !
he said he had a jet boat he could bring if i might be intersted in a trade. took them both to the water.he left with the lib and i came home with a youngblood tx19 gullwing.
kinda confused on the driving only one pedal and don't steer to well at idle,but takes a set and runs good out the back door to about 1000 ft.
got a 13/ 1 bbc, t/r with 2 1050 dominators.rect port o/c heads, new roller stick,lifters & rockers this year, msd. berk pump spinning stainless b impellar to 5800rpm.
i am TOTALLY new to this JB stuff so if i said or posted something incorrect or unbeliveable don't jump me and make me out to be stupid. just help me out.
heard nothing but good stuff about the YB hulls so next year should be fun!
gotta few things to fix and spruce up,but overall the boats in GOOD shape!
tried to post some pic's,but jpg's to large have to get jules to resize them.

centerhill condor
09-12-2006, 03:33 AM
congrats! how 'bout some pics?

atxwrangler
09-12-2006, 05:13 AM
congrats,lets see it!

IMPATIENT 1
09-12-2006, 05:23 AM
its a nice boat, i've pics of it in my email but they don't work this mornin, nothing but x's.wtf is up with x's lately?? :mad: gary, if you sell the yb, i want it!!!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-12-2006, 09:58 AM
You mention something about closet, I thought I was in benchracers:D Glad to see that you have the best of both worlds;) So tell us, Do you like the ride? Youngbloods are kick ass hulls. We need pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once upon a time, I had a gullwing hull but I ended up getting the okie doke and wasnt able to keep it:cry::cry:

NUTHIN
09-12-2006, 10:05 AM
ive seen pics also..
very nice ride indeed..
congrats GARY!!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Why is it that everyone else seen pics except for me :cry: :cry: :cry: I feel left out :crossx:

vdrivenman
09-12-2006, 11:54 AM
i tried to post some pic's but he j pegs are to large and won't let me post them. i will have to get my boss to resize them so i can post.
i sent them to a few of the outlaws i converse with on here for some approval and goods & bads!
already started working on it for the 07 boating season.
gotta start saving money right now for FUEl !

vdrivenman
09-12-2006, 04:47 PM
i tried to resize the pic's myself.hope it worked !

Mr. Crusader 83
09-12-2006, 06:45 PM
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17561
dont get rid of that paddle. you will need it one day. ha ha ha
im just jokin. clean boat, congrats. i bet it hauls a$$!!!

QuickJet
09-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Very nice Gary...........
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17564

vdrivenman
09-13-2006, 03:02 AM
thanks Crusader & QJ for posting the pic's!
i beleive the boat is set up right by a guy named Jimmy Duggan & Chop(larry nelms).someting about 2, 4, 6.
i've spun my vdrive bbc's to 6400 but this is a little different animal so i am just going to leave everything alone and try & learn to drive the thing and enjoy it.
it is no long distance top end racer but up to about a 1000 ft it will be good and on the lakes i frequent thats good.
i'll try & find the stick numbers and post them. it is pretty radical and hits hard.
the water is plumbed into where the evac normally is and u can control it with a valve by the drivers seat to help eliminate and chance of sucking water in due to the cam overlap.
i remember reading or hearing a lot about clean out covers blowing off. i certainly don't want this to happen. what is the recommended cure?
how often do you change the oil in the pump?
a couple peeps recommended weld a small rudder on the pump to help with steering at slow speeds. how small & what shape? what type material are these pumps made from?
how & how often should you check the,intake & pump for debris?
i know these may sound stupid to some of you Xperienced jetters,but this is a 1st for me.
thanks
and NO i am not changing my sig name !

Devilman
09-13-2006, 04:00 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17560
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17562
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17563
The rest of the pics..... Nice ride, V-driven.
Far as your questions, I know there are peeps here more educated than me, but I can share what I've learned from this site...
The rudder, after extensive reading here, it was a toss-up whether it actually beneficial to have it. Seemed most people went without. I decided against buying one myself & learned to manuever at slow speeds quite well. Practicing in a an uncrowded area helps. :D Pumps are made from some sort of aluminum, if I'm not mistaken.
Checking for debris, I usually give it a look before heading to the water. My boat cover is tied down right under the pump, so I'm right there anyway. Just shine a light in the intake. Chances are, if there is something in there, it'll be fairly easy to see. And if you suck something up, you'll know it. :D
Far as changing the oil in the pump, I've owned the boat for 2 years & haven't done it yet. Haven't heard of anybody doing it either. Guess I may learn something new, if there is a way or time to do it...

NUTHIN
09-13-2006, 06:12 AM
real good gary..
good trade for you..
bring it out west here and
race around with some
peeps. one being me!!!
hehehe enjoy!!

QuickJet
09-13-2006, 08:32 AM
real good gary..
good trade for you..
bring it out west here and
race around with some
peeps. one being me!!!
hehehe enjoy!!
I'll get in on that!!! Hey Gary, maybe you can come out to lake Pleasant in Oct. for the little get together. Arizona is in the middle of everywhere right? :D

fleetimus
09-13-2006, 10:48 AM
Nice boat!~!!! I have a TX19 Condor. You will like the handling once you get used to it. The gullwings take a different set than the other hulls. Take your time and work into the speed.
Pump maintenence is easy. You should have a jerk at the front, just give it a couple of squirts. The back should have two 1/4" pipe plugs, take them both out and fill with 80-90 until it is full.
Check the driveshaft. If it has jerks, grease it. If no zerks, take it out and check the joints. Losing a driveshaft can be a memorable experience.

IMPATIENT 1
09-13-2006, 11:15 AM
gary, here's the youngblood's website.chop helms is a host and you can talk to him about your boat since he set it up.he's a nice guy and will answer any set-up questions you might have.
http://www.youngbloodjetboats.com
come to think of it, i think i've seen pics of your boat(the y.b.)on that site too!

fleetimus
09-13-2006, 12:41 PM
You also may want to look into the Banderlog valve for the header water. I have used it on both of my boats and it is great. http://www.banderlog.com/ (http://)

vdrivenman
09-13-2006, 12:59 PM
the boat came from ricky bobo and i've talked to chop b4 when that tx20 tunnel was for sale. u might have seen this boat on greison(sp),broken bow.he ran with some guys out of atlanta(bruce penny)& texarkana robbie barrett & a few others.
he showed me all the zerts u mentioned and the plugs.said her fills it b 4 each outing with 90 gear oil.
do u use syn or plain ole 90. how often should u do a complete oil change on the bowl? how do u check for sloop or wear?
the drive shaft? is short and has no cover,but i don't forsee putting one on
because no one will be around it while it is running.
i guess just check the clean out cover bolts b4 each use.do they back out or just break due to vibration?? loctite?
it has a valve system on it located by the drivers seat to control the h2o to the headers.it is actually plumbed in at the evac point on the header so there is no chance of kick back due to the cam overlap.
anyway to tell what the boat will do if u loose complete power? i dumped the throttle the other day at about 4 g and it just laid down and went straight,but i fear that ain't the norm?
Nuthin & QJ u just wanna a good ole boy from Texas to come out so u can spank my boat and make fun of the way i talk!!!!!! and hell it is 995 miles from my house to el paso!!!!

NUTHIN
09-13-2006, 01:07 PM
no im thinking QJ wants to make my jet look stupid...

vdrivenman
09-13-2006, 01:32 PM
B,
i thought i was confused! how must you feel with a big 500+ huffer motor in a jet and bonafide azz kickin flattie in the stable also !!!
i'm think QJ still thinks the Sanger runner is a jet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
spanky spanky
i may have to come west,just to see how it is done out there!
my old ride probably wouldn't run out there anyways.
i am at sea level here!

IMPATIENT 1
09-13-2006, 01:43 PM
the y.b. that i've rode in went straight if we lost power at speed.its was kinda cool because i herd the sputter and knew what was comin.i grabbed the dash and held on for dear life, the driver laughed at me and said it always goes straight till it loses the speed and i may turn then.love those boats! a youngblood,tx19 or 20, or a cheyenne are all on my list for a new boat next season, just depends on what i find.
man its a small world, my uncles has been hooking up with barrett's ex-wife :crossx:

NUTHIN
09-13-2006, 01:55 PM
tell them im sorry...

IMPATIENT 1
09-13-2006, 03:17 PM
tell them im sorry...
is this robbie barret???? used to live around b.bow? had a black and purple tunnel with a 427, really nice boat.

vdrivenman
09-13-2006, 04:05 PM
m1 now that is barrett deveraux.
i used to own a dver hydro that belonged to robbie b. got wrecked when it came off the trailer. i bought it from bruce penny.
robbie b's jet was 4 sale on db.com not to long ago.
i guess he is till a FF up at red river !

IMPATIENT 1
09-13-2006, 04:22 PM
m1 now that is barrett deveraux.
i used to own a dver hydro that belonged to robbie b. got wrecked when it came off the trailer. i bought it from bruce penny.
robbie b's jet was 4 sale on db.com not to long ago.
i guess he is till a FF up at red river !
he sold the black and purple tunnel to phelps racin and phelps just sold it on ebay last week.

vdrivenman
09-13-2006, 04:56 PM
well if u've been or run with any of those guys u've seen this boat.
bruce penny had a beautiful placecraft dragster with a 606 in it.til someone
pulled the pin on his hitch while the boat was parked at his work. it passed him on the way home and center punched a big east Texas pine tree.
that deaver went to a second randall ross(stealbluz) and from there on to skip willett.
small world huh! if u see a yellow lib p/f around those neck of the woods ricky bobo owns it.

IMPATIENT 1
09-13-2006, 08:34 PM
well if u've been or run with any of those guys u've seen this boat.
bruce penny had a beautiful placecraft dragster with a 606 in it.til someone
pulled the pin on his hitch while the boat was parked at his work. it passed him on the way home and center punched a big east Texas pine tree.
that deaver went to a second randall ross(stealbluz) and from there on to skip willett.
small world huh! if u see a yellow lib p/f around those neck of the woods ricky bobo owns it.
get a jury of boaters and you'd get off for justifiable homicide for killin whoever pulled that pin! i hate people who are jealous of others boats. when i see a nicer boat, i stop and admire the creativity of the owner and so on.don't have to be a fast boat, just one that you can tell its owner loves it.

QuickJet
09-13-2006, 10:24 PM
Whoa...different Barrett!! I think THIS though is going to need some explaining though..........
man its a small world, my uncles has been hooking up with barrett's ex-wife :crossx:
You realize you said uncles as in 2 not uncle as in 1 right? :D

vdrivenman
09-14-2006, 02:45 AM
a nicer guy than bruce you will never meet. give you,loan you,whatever to help a guy out.
works hard,loves his family and his toyz. this was nothing more than jealousy and the boat was pristine.he still has it stored away,but it ain't fixable.
i guess i'll have to make a couple trips next year.one up to OKIE country and one out west. gotta get a hitch welded on the toybox so we can pull the YB.
look like a gypsy klan coming down the highway(can i say Klan on here)??
i am not going to comment on the uncle(s) plural or singular dealio!
poor o'le barrett (Nuthin) is probably really confused.
still need an answer on the clean out cover securing it and reason for failure!

springerpete
09-14-2006, 04:34 AM
Call Duane at Hi-Tech Performance he can help you with the clean out cover question. www.hi-techperformance.com

IMPATIENT 1
09-14-2006, 05:37 AM
Whoa...different Barrett!! I think THIS though is going to need some explaining though..........
You realize you said uncles as in 2 not uncle as in 1 right? :D
sorry, i meant uncle's as in uncle is.okie slang,lol. i talked to the barrett from here, different guy all together.this robbie barrett is from north texas or southern okla.,not cali.. nuthin got a good laugh though, he thought his ex was cheating on her current hubby :p sorry nuthin

vdrivenman
09-14-2006, 09:13 AM
i knew who and what you meant!
i just wanted to enjoy the confusion and see what nuthin had to say!
hoping for a nice wekend so i can work on theboat. the trailer is an original panther. i beleive they came with the yb boats!
back to work !