PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever rode in there boat while being pulled on the trailer?

VanDeano
09-12-2006, 04:15 AM
Have any of you sat in your boat while it was on the trailer being pulled on the freeway? I did it from Long Beach to Torrance and that is about a 8 miles trip on not so perfect freeways. Of course I stayed hidden in the cabin just in case of a chipper. If you never have, try it. You would not believe the abuse a boat takes just going down the road. Never in my life have I ever been in water that gave my boat more abuse then just being pulled on a trailer. It is almost frightening. So to me, water doesn't abuse the boat, the roads do more damage. Just my 2 cents.

RitcheyRch
09-12-2006, 04:20 AM
Never done it. Can only imagine the damage the freeways do to our boats. Look what they do to our cars and trucks.

Big Boys Toy PE857
09-12-2006, 04:45 AM
I've been told by some very knowlegable people that light weight race and drag boat type hulls suffer more damage and stress cracks from being towed than being flogged in racing. I've got an ultra light Kurtis 500 drag hydro that I'm sure has between 75-100 thousand towed miles. So far so good.

Devilman
09-12-2006, 05:02 AM
Have any of you sat in your boat while it was on the trailer being pulled on the freeway? I did it from Long Beach to Torrance and that is about a 8 miles trip on not so perfect freeways. Of course I stayed hidden in the cabin just in case of a chipper. If you never have, try it. You would not believe the abuse a boat takes just going down the road. Never in my life have I ever been in water that gave my boat more abuse then just being pulled on a trailer. It is almost frightening. So to me, water doesn't abuse the boat, the roads do more damage. Just my 2 cents.
Did it a couple of months ago. Didn't wanna bother with getting the truck seats wet, so just stayed in the boat. About a 5 mile highway trip from the ramp to a buddies house at about 40, maybe 50 mph. Don't think I would do it again though... :rollside:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2812Colet17.jpg

Havasu Hangin'
09-12-2006, 05:28 AM
I was following a 36' Daytona one time...it hit a bump, and came off the bunks a few inches (and that's a heavy boat).

Beer-30
09-12-2006, 06:08 AM
It would be interesting to do a comparison of riding on a leaf-sprung trailer and then on a torsion trailer (Extreme and such).

Howie Feltersnatch
09-12-2006, 07:50 AM
I've done it a couple of times from the ramp to the boat storage which is only about 1 mile. It felt like every time we took a turn the boat was going to fly off the trailer, even though we were going the same speed as we always do - it's a weird perspective.

NautiTwins
09-12-2006, 08:05 AM
I usually just ride around the camp ground in the boat. Scary thing is when you hit a pot hole and the entire boat jolts. They really do take a beating on the trailer.

SHOTKALLIN
09-12-2006, 08:51 AM
I rode in the cabin of a 28' Monterey from Chino Hills to Havasu once. It was cool till we ran out of beer. :cool: