PDA

View Full Version : Houses/lots in havasu

HALLETT BOY
09-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Went looking at houses in Havasu this past weekend, found a house I liked a lot
but it was "on your level prepared lot "...my question is : what are the benefits and/or downside of buying a lot and building a home versus a house already built on an existing lot ... do they work out the same price in the end ? are there any
reasonable priced lots left ? are there any good lots left ? any new areas opening up to constuction ?

Havasu_Dreamin
09-12-2006, 09:28 AM
The benefit of building is you get to choose exactly what it is you want, layout, features, decor, colors, tile vs carpet etc.....

Kachina26
09-12-2006, 09:30 AM
The benefit of building is you get to choose exactly what it is you want, layout, features, decor, colors, tile vs carpet etc.....
And the benefit of buy already built is, you move in right away. If you can wait, it's cheaper to build. If you have a low tolerence for stress, it's easier to buy one that's done. Costs a little more to buy ready built.

AirtimeLavey
09-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Plus if you set a realistic budget for the area, and stay within your budget (very difficult, almost impossible, esp. if there's a woman involved - j/k), you can get more for less. You just have to manage the stresses of the process. The right contractor will make or break you. Good luck, and post pics. if you do it. :cool:

ChumpChange
09-12-2006, 09:33 AM
By building, you can control the steepness of your driveway in order to make sure you'll be able to get your boat in......oh wait, on an existing lot, you can already see that. :)

Havasu_Dreamin
09-12-2006, 09:39 AM
You just have to manage the stresses of the process. The right contractor will make or break you.
Very true!
We had a very stress free experience with Summit Homes. Well, no stress from dealing with Summit or Mohave State Bank for the construction loan. The only stress involved was that my mom passed away two weeks after the forms were placed for the foundation. This was to be my parentsÂ’ retirement home and now she was not there to enjoy it. Summit told us to take however long we needed to figure out what we wanted/needed to do, the bank said the same thing. Abrey, owner of Summit homes, even offered to buy the lot and house back from us. They, Summit Homes, their rep Joanne Kupfer, and Mohave State Bank, made what was a terrible situation easier for my dad and I to deal with and for that I will forever be grateful.

Havasu1986
09-12-2006, 09:42 AM
By building, you can control the steepness of your driveway in order to make sure you'll be able to get your boat in......oh wait, on an existing lot, you can already see that. :)
I bought my 1 year old house and didn't factor in the steepness, or width of "boat deep" garage. Thats why I have a new RV garage and a 4x4 thats stays attached to the boat.

INSman
09-12-2006, 09:51 AM
Ouch, that is gonna' leave a mark :220v:

Kachina26
09-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Well, I could always park it in your gara....... Oh wait, you don't have one :D I'll be enjoying mine this weekend :cool:
Hey Blaine, when's the pool party, it looks nice.

Mrs.Racer277
09-12-2006, 10:00 AM
OUCH! :p

Mrs.Racer277
09-12-2006, 10:04 AM
We built last year and I would do it all over again. Took about a year but was painless. :)

ChumpChange
09-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Well, I could always park it in your gara....... Oh wait, you don't have one :D I'll be enjoying mine this weekend :cool:
I'll have a garage again there soon enough. Haven't you read the real estate thread???? The sky is falling. I should be able to get a house there for $50,000 in the next week or so :rollside: . The last garage wasn't big enough for the new boat anyways. :idea:

prosthogod
09-12-2006, 10:20 AM
I have a house that is 1 yr old that I will need to sell as our new one is built. But I want to lease it back until july. It has a very level driveway for the boat.

Mrs.Racer277
09-12-2006, 10:21 AM
I'll have a garage again there soon enough. Haven't you read the real estate thread???? The sky is falling. I should be able to get a house there for $50,000 in the next week or so :rollside: . The last garage wasn't big enough for the new boat anyways. :idea:
Let me know if you find 2 houses for that price I am in. :)
I just found the perfect lot this week for the sky is falling price of $250,000 :cry: :)

INSman
09-12-2006, 10:27 AM
No official "pool party" , go ahead and take a dip when you want and just clean up when you leave. :cool:

SummitKarl
09-12-2006, 10:31 AM
but it was "on your level prepared lot "...my question is : what are the benefits and/or downside of buying a lot and building a home versus a house already built on an existing lot ... do they work out the same price in the end ? are there any
reasonable priced lots left ? are there any good lots left ? any new areas opening up to constuction ?
well I am sure Blaine the Baller and several others here on the board that I have built houses for will agree with me.
Traditionally it's cheaper to build that to buy existing. what I have seen with people on this board is that they on average come out with about $50k to $75k profit/move-in equity on the back side, that margin is narrowing a bit as the market corrects, but the lot prices are correcting a bit as well so it should really be a wash.
what are the benefits to building....ARE YOU MARRIED????,
1) the first benefit is the wifey is happy from the start because she got to pick all the colors/floors/counter tops etc. there by saving you from having change them to her taste once you buy a existing home :idea:
2) not all the builders do this, but I work with you to get that house custom tailored to YOUR!!!! needs, and being a boater myself "I KNOW" exactly what to look for and do to make parking that boat a breeze.
3) you don't get a full warranty with a used home nor do you get that new home smell :)
let Warlock25 (realtor) and myself put together a Hot Boat package for you
before you brave the Havasu Market alone
Karl

INSman
09-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Baller no, but I do love my Summit home and although it is a process to pick everything out to taste and budget, the end result is well worth it along with the walk-in equity at closing in lieu of paying off someone else'e equity on a resale.

Riveratz
09-12-2006, 11:32 AM
Building you can choose what you want and save some $$ in the process.
BTW I am just finishing my process (Oct. 3rd).... Be prepared for 12 months... I am going on 13 months.
Buying one already built. Yah you can move in right a way but someone else has already chosen tile colors, cabinet colors, ect.
I had 2 builders plans merged together to get the house my wife and I could agree on. I wanted the big RV garage she liked a different house....
Like I said I just went through the whole process and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

andy01
09-12-2006, 11:51 AM
What is the average per sq ft to build now?

Havasu_Dreamin
09-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Be prepared for 12 months... I am going on 13 months.
WOW! From the time we bought the lot to the time we took posession was 9 months. And that included 2 months of deciding what model to build.

djunkie
09-12-2006, 12:16 PM
We bought our house/lot while it was being built. It was a lot cheaper than buying the lot and building the home thats for sure. Luckily it was what we liked so it worked out for us. At the time we looked at a few lots that were IMO shitty. Step inclines and small lots. The lots were ranging from $65k to $125k. We ended up with a lot that was worth probably over $100k (at the time) and a house on it for less than a $100k more.

Todd969
09-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Are ya finally ready to pull the trigger Gordon? It would be nice to have you as a neighbor.

SummitKarl
09-12-2006, 12:31 PM
What is the average per sq ft to build now?
(cost/under roof) w/std garage and tile = $55
in Havasu we tyically go by (cost/sq ft living) = $106
The numbers are based on the following floor plan, that sells for $200k on your lot
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2734FUTURA3X3.jpg

Sun burners
09-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Buy a BIG LOT,
As FLAT as you can.
Build a BIG GARAGE,
Attach a house.
Then see how much bigger you can go on the garage.
Or as others have said buy used and try to get a big lot.
Lake views are real nice!
Mike

USCFAN
09-12-2006, 01:29 PM
No official "pool party" , go ahead and take a dip when you want and just clean up when you leave. :cool:
I already beat him to it. :wink:

IDRPSTF
09-12-2006, 02:12 PM
my $.02
Also take into consideration that locking into a fixed rate on a home now as opposed to a construction loan rolling into a fixed in a year could be risky. Rates now are now spectacular, but they could get worse. Also keep an eye on the MLS and how long houses are sitting on the market. I was planning on waiting another 6 months to buy a place in Havasu, but I got a realtor that listened to exactly what I wanted, and what I wanted to spend and found the perfect place in 2 days. I bought in within the hour and love it. Havasu has great people, great food, great activitys and with the bridge going in upstream will now be more accessable to Vegas.

little rowe boat
09-12-2006, 02:15 PM
And the benefit of buy already built is, you move in right away. If you can wait, it's cheaper to build. If you have a low tolerence for stress, it's easier to buy one that's done. Costs a little more to buy ready built.
This is the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I can attest to it.

TCHB
09-12-2006, 02:56 PM
1. We have good friends that live in Havasu and built their own house and was tough dealing with the builders. It also cost them alot more money that they thought. The builder just kept adding $$$$ as they went along. I think most builders know exactly what they are doing and know they have you!
We sold our lot and bought a nice home and built a garage to meet our needs.
My advice is to find a house built!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Inventory way up and a lot to pick from today.

Roxysnow
09-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Maybe 5 years ago it was a incredible deal to purchase a lot and build a house. Lots then were 5k to 50k. But now, with lots ranging from 125k to 250k then cost of the house 175k min. to 250k after upgrades? Total cost is 250k to 500k? It's almost better to buy a nice home and add the RV garage separatley. There are lot of NICE homes in Havasu already built being let go at some awsome deals! Just low ball the shiat out of the sales price! MOre equity someone has in the home, the more willing they are to negociate!

4DAY4PLAY
09-12-2006, 03:18 PM
A little birdie told me to wait about a year and pick up a river house for about 10-20% less than todays already reduced prices.

SummitKarl
09-12-2006, 03:23 PM
1. We have good friends that live in Havasu and built their own house and was tough dealing with the builders. It also cost them alot more money that they thought. The builder just kept adding $$$$ as they went along. I think most builders know exactly what they are doing and know they have you!
My advice is to find a house built!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Inventory way up and a lot to pick from today.
thank you but not all of us work that way, the tactics you describe are that of Verde homes and that does not represent the rest of us like Summit and Bridgewater.
I take offence to your comment TCHB, please don't group the rest of us in with one bad Apple........
Thanks
SK

socalmoney
09-12-2006, 03:59 PM
If you do build, you should think about modular home construction. You could design your entire house and have it built in an environmentally controlled warehouse and then they ship it to your job site. Your time on site would be minimal. Once your foundation is laid, your house would be together in a day or two. Great way to do a vacation home since you don't have to be local to your site.
If you do on site construction consider SIP technology. Structural Insulating Panels. It could reduce your energy costs greatly for such a hot area. Also construction time is reduced tremendously. Check it out.
http://www.cleverhomes.net/
http://www.insulspan.com/

INSman
09-12-2006, 04:09 PM
thank you but not all of us work that way, the tactics you describe are that of Verde homes and that does not represent the rest of us like Summit and Bridgewater.
I take offence to your comment TCHB, please don't group the rest of us in with one bad Apple........
Thanks
SK
I agree SK, Summit did not waiver from what we mutually agreed to prior to signing the contract and gave a great base package and allowances that most don't, hence no need for a bunch of add-ons. Tech Shield included in the price and covering the garage as well was one of almost countless nice standard features.

dirtmover
09-12-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm building a 4 bed 3 bath 3 car boat deep 1889 sq ft on an 80x125 lot on the south side right now. for sale $372.000 buy now pick your own colors let me know...........

Bling Bling
09-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Thanks
SK
I don't think he's grouping anyone. He just stated a fact about building a house in Havasu. If anyone is slamming a paticular it's you on Verde homes. I'll be the first to tell ya the project I just finished was the worst thing I've ever been through, and I've done my fare share of projects. It lagged my builders extra costs were a joke, 80 g over and he new what he was doing from the start. I will also say that my builder was great, came well recomended, and is one of the leading high end builders in Havasu. Hell I just took him to dinner Friday night. But it still sucked. Some of his subs pulled shit on our project that the best con man would be amazed. And to top it off, 2 weeks after finish, an inside job by one of his subs left me with no flat screens, and no more stereo equipment. So if you can't see that my project was focked, I don't know what to tell ya.
And Sk, you can ask Warlock25 he nows me, I'm a pretty stand up guy. I treated everone very well through the entire project, and yes it came out very nice.

Roxysnow
09-12-2006, 04:37 PM
I don't think he's grouping anyone. He just stated a fact about building a house in Havasu. If anyone is slamming a paticular it's you on Verde homes. I'll be the first to tell ya the project I just finished was the worst thing I've ever been through, and I've done my fare share of projects. It lagged my builders extra costs were a joke, 80 g over and he new what he was doing from the start. I will also say that my builder was great, came well recomended, and is one of the leading high end builders in Havasu. Hell I just took him to dinner Friday night. But it still sucked. Some of his subs pulled shit on our project that the best con man would be amazed. And to top it off, 2 weeks after finish, an inside job by one of his subs left me with no flat screens, and no more stereo equipment. So if you can't see that my project was focked, I don't know what to tell ya.
And Sk, you can ask Warlock25 he nows me, I'm a pretty stand up guy. I treated everone very well through the entire project, and yes it came out very nice.
That blows! By the way, the house is sweet!!

CBadDad
09-12-2006, 04:49 PM
This is gonna get good.
Popcorn please.

blown dough
09-12-2006, 05:01 PM
I'm building a 4 bed 3 bath 3 car boat deep 1889 sq ft on an 80x125 lot on the south side right now. for sale $372.000 buy now pick your own colors let me know...........
Very interested, we were in escrow on one house but our boat didn't fit, what size garage doors and depth of garage??????

mjc
09-12-2006, 05:16 PM
If you can do some work yourself look for a fixer (if theres any left) and do it yoursefl. I got mine 7 years ago for 44K then ripped the garage done and self contracted a much bigger garage for about 15K.

blown dough
09-12-2006, 05:19 PM
If you can do some work yourself look for a fixer (if theres any left) and do it yoursefl. I got mine 7 years ago for 44K then ripped the garage done and self contracted a much bigger garage for about 15K.
The house we thought we were buying was in a gated community and our realtor was not sure if we could make the doors bigger (CCR"S) as their was plenty of headroom and infact how long to have it permited.

Bling Bling
09-12-2006, 05:50 PM
That blows! By the way, the house is sweet!!
Thanks man. The back yard is coming out great. See ya out there.

GHT
09-12-2006, 06:22 PM
This is true considering it takes a Lake Havasu Builder 7 to 12 months to build THEIR spec home..... They obviously don't know what schedules are for..... Unless the owner agrees to this amount of time, then they deserve everything they get... :cool:

little rowe boat
09-12-2006, 06:27 PM
This is true considering it takes a Lake Havasu Builder 7 to 12 months to build THEIR spec home..... They obviously don't know what schedules are for..... Unless the owner agrees to this amount of time, then they deserve everything they get... :cool:
I wish, it took Verde 19 months to complete ours.

GHT
09-12-2006, 06:33 PM
I wish, it took Verde 19 months to complete ours.
Was yours a custom or semi-custom? Damn too bad, sorry to hear about 19 months. I would be interested to hear some of their excuses... :rolleyes:

voodoomedman
09-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Why not look into spec houses. That way the house is already built but you are buying new. You just look until you find one you like. That's what we did with ours and we love it. The only thing we had to do was paint, decorate and put in furniture. Was already landscaped too.

INSman
09-12-2006, 07:32 PM
7 months on my project with Summit, can't complain

kingLHC
09-12-2006, 07:32 PM
I have a 1750 sf home 1/4 mile from Windsor ramp. 3/2/3 with room to add a double RV garage and a panoramic lake view. Would consider selling at 500k.
There's a house for sale across the street that's a deal for someone looking in this price range. 1 year old Bridgewater home, 2100 sf with a drive thru RV garage. Owner's moved out of state. Doesn't have the view mine does, but it's still a great home. Located on Chandler Drive.
I have a couple of 2 car garage homes as well, if anyone's interested, email at kspyke@frontiernet.net

kingLHC
09-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Some builders do that, not all. Ask around. Read the contracts. I was a realtor here and can tell you first hand, there are good and bad builders. That's why you have a contract. Glad to hear you found what you wanted. Personally, I buy used.
See you on the water.

BIGRRNU
09-12-2006, 07:46 PM
I suggest build your own. Added equity, custom touches pride of creation.
We bought the lot and then our realtor found us a builder that made a model to please us. Niky G. w/Selman Our home was built by Stonehenge Construction. Bruce was a delight to work with, especially changes to the floor plan, no problem and no extra charges. Very patient and his gal Amanada kept it all together and kept us in the know. Since we were out of town it was great. Also provided weekly pics on their website www.Stonehengeconst.com He even let us do a few things like surround sound ourselves. He was so cool with everything it was amazing. We spoke with other builders and found them to only offer their cookie cutter model No changes or serious upcharges would result. They were very cautious about who had access.
We got exactly what we wanted and got to see it step by step. A very fun and exciting project - No stress but I certainly see how it could go that way if not in town. And imagine this ----- everything done for 2 months and we run down to the channel for a bit and get back, where's the key? I thought you had it, no I thought you had it. *@?&! Desperate,we call Bruce on his cell on a Sat and guess what he gets us in. THATS CARE to the very end.

blown dough
09-12-2006, 07:52 PM
I have a 1750 sf home 1/4 mile from Windsor ramp. 3/2/3 with room to add a double RV garage and a panoramic lake view. Would consider selling at 500k.
There's a house for sale across the street that's a deal for someone looking in this price range. 1 year old Bridgewater home, 2100 sf with a drive thru RV garage. Owner's moved out of state. Doesn't have the view mine does, but it's still a great home. Located on Chandler Drive.
I have a couple of 2 car garage homes as well, if anyone's interested, email at kspyke@frontiernet.net
May be interested need at least 9' doors and 40' feet for our boat>

Hardly Satisfied
09-13-2006, 01:25 AM
once you sign a contract it's a done deal on price

TOBTEK
09-13-2006, 06:57 AM
Thanks man. The back yard is coming out great. See ya out there.
im drinking Monster drinks all day Sat, HOLDING it all day....... and coming over to your pool :)

TOBTEK
09-13-2006, 07:00 AM
if anyonly is interested, I have a line on a brandnew 1820 3 bedroom, 2 bath, RV garage home. in a GREAT neighborhood two blocks up off the 95. owner/builder will take 369,000.00 really nice home! call me if interested.

Mrs 2LKHVSU
09-13-2006, 07:05 AM
We spend so many short weekendS in Havasu we have found that LOCATION is a factor for us. We are 1 mile to Windsor on the lakeside of 95 near Walmart. 3 bedrooms/3 bathrooms and 3 car garage are perfect for a vacation home. Our garage accomodates our boat with room on the side to build a RV sized garage. Now it can be perfect for someone eles...it is FOR SALE!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

blown dough
09-13-2006, 07:43 AM
if anyonly is interested, I have a line on a brandnew 1820 3 bedroom, 2 bath, RV garage home. in a GREAT neighborhood two blocks up off the 95. owner/builder will take 369,000.00 really nice home! call me if interested.
What size garage on the RV parking side? Need at least a 9' door and 41' deep, let me know???