PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Scams?

Her454
09-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Lets go back about 2 years ago. I was getting gas on Sunrise Blvd in Sac and up rolls this new Escolade with two kids about 20ish. They gave me some story about over-inventory that day and they needed to get rid of some stereo equipment. Had a truckload of BOSE speakers and stereo's. All boxed up, still unopened in the packages, nice and pretty. For one hell of deal of course I could have it all. :rolleyes: I have to admit, they were good salesman, very persistent. Wouldn't take no for an answer and kept pushing. As curious as I was to know how they could sell that equipment so cheap my suspicious nature saved my ass from making a huge mistake that day. I just assumed the stuff was stolen and told them so and they insisted it wasn't and would give me paperwork for all I purchased. I left, and they moved on to another potential victim. I've always wondered if I missed out on some fantastic deal that day and second guessed my decision.
Until a few days ago.
A friend of mine was venting about a situation he got himself into and was pretty pissed off about it. Apparently he was delivering a load to a refinery in the Bay Area and there was a guy that was selling LapTops, cheap. Don't remember the reason they were going so cheap but he had called me at the time and asked about the model# and if it was a "good deal or not". He didnt tell me specifics, just questioned if it was a good laptop etc...and if the price was good because he was getting it from a "guy he worked with". I told him yes, they retailed for almost 1400.00. So he bought TWO.
When he got home, he opened them up and they were both full of floor tiles. Nothing else. All wrapped up like they had never been opened, but full of useless floor tile. I kinda laughed to myself but was thankful I didnt buy anything from the persuasive kids at the station two years ago. :rolleyes:
Anyone else get suckered by these azzholes? I felt pretty bad for him but not as bad as he felt when he had to tell his better half what he spent 600.00 on as a surprise for her.

stoker
09-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Lets go back about 2 years ago. I was getting gas on Sunrise Blvd in Sac and up rolls this new Escolade with two kids about 20ish. They gave me some story about over-inventory that day and they needed to get rid of some stereo equipment. Had a truckload of BOSE speakers and stereo's. All boxed up, still unopened in the packages, nice and pretty. For one hell of deal of course I could have it all. :rolleyes: I have to admit, they were good salesman, very persistent. Wouldn't take no for an answer and kept pushing. As curious as I was to know how they could sell that equipment so cheap my suspicious nature saved my ass from making a huge mistake that day. I just assumed the stuff was stolen and told them so and they insisted it wasn't and would give me paperwork for all I purchased. I left, and they moved on to another potential victim. I've always wondered if I missed out on some fantastic deal that day and second guessed my decision.
Until a few days ago.
A friend of mine was venting about a situation he got himself into and was pretty pissed off about it. Apparently he was delivering a load to a refinery in the Bay Area and there was a guy that was selling LapTops, cheap. Don't remember the reason they were going so cheap but he had called me at the time and asked about the model# and if it was a "good deal or not". He didnt tell me specifics, just questioned if it was a good laptop etc...and if the price was good because he was getting it from a "guy he worked with". I told him yes, they retailed for almost 1400.00. So he bought TWO.
When he got home, he opened them up and they were both full of floor tiles. Nothing else. All wrapped up like they had never been opened, but full of useless floor tile. I kinda laughed to myself but was thankful I didnt buy anything from the persuasive kids at the station two years ago. :rolleyes:
Anyone else get suckered by these azzholes? I felt pretty bad for him but not as bad as he felt when he had to tell his better half what he spent 600.00 on as a surprise for her.
I have seen that scam, a brand new VCR still in the wrapper. A friend bought one, got it home and found all he had was a box of rocks! :mad:

DILLIGAF
09-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Never fell for that one but have been approached many times.
I did get scammed in Vegas once...
I was at a BJ table and this cute girl came up to me and started a conversation. We hung out there for about 15 minutes or so and went to the bar where I bought her a drink. She proceeded to tell me she was in a girl band and on their way to CA to hopefully make it big. She had a CD and asked me if I would buy one. had the titles on it and a nice label. She said that was how they were getting to CA...by selling their CD's along the way. Being the nice guy that I am I bought one for $20. from her. When I was heading home I thought I would listen to it and see how it sounded. Nothing was on the CD at all. Pretty good scam to hit up "nice" guys in Vegas and find out later on the way home they got scammed. I suspect very few call to the hotle and let them know what is going on. I didn't.
Oh well....a sucka is born every day

wsuwrhr
09-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Too bad that scam will only work until they come across an "unhappy" custumer.
Something tells the floor tiles and rocks will find another home.
Brian
What a bad deal

Ziggy
09-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Yup, bought some speakers from a couple guys in the bank parking lot...around 1983 or so.
Best $50 speakers I ever had, lasted forever it seemed and then I put them up in my biz out in the workbays....still working to this day

Biglue
09-12-2006, 11:34 AM
I've seen many people get approached by guys selling the audio sets for "an unbelievable deal" around town. The guys that usually have the ad from a magazine that advertises the stuff they are selling for 5 times the cost they offfer it for. I always wondered about those guys. A couple months ago I noticed that there is a warehouse here in our industrial complex that is home to one of these operations. Somebody in another building bought a system from them, so I would assume they are legit as far as not giving the buyer bricks in boxes and so forth.
As far as the lap top, why wouldn't he open it before he left the guy's presence? That would suck big time. :mad:

Her454
09-12-2006, 11:38 AM
I've seen many people get approached by guys selling the audio sets for "an unbelievable deal" around town. The guys that usually have the ad from a magazine that advertises the stuff they are selling for 5 times the cost they offfer it for. I always wondered about those guys. A couple months ago I noticed that there is a warehouse here in our industrial complex that is home to one of these operations. Somebody in another building bought a system from them, so I would assume they are legit as far as not giving the buyer bricks in boxes and so forth.
As far as the lap top, why wouldn't he open it before he left the guy's presence? That would suck big time. :mad:
I don't know if the speaker/stereo guys were legit or not but I went with my gut feeling and hopefully I was right.
As far as the laptop deal, I asked the same thing and he said the guy had the laptop out and had a "few of them" he was selling so when he got the new boxes he didn't question it since they were unopened and he saw what was inside the other box. I guess the guy had two different models he was selling. I mean two different colors of floor tiles...................... :rolleyes:
What is even worse is that this happened at a "secure" refinery in Martinez Calif. How the hell did this guy get in there to scam these guys in the first place? After it happened no one seemed to know who the guy was or how he got in the plant.

Biglue
09-12-2006, 11:41 AM
I don't know if the speaker/stereo guys were legit or not but I went with my gut feeling and hopefully I was right.
As far as the laptop deal, I asked the same thing and he said the guy had the laptop out and had a "few of them" he was selling so when he got the new boxes he didn't question it since they were unopened and he saw what was inside the other box. I guess the guy had two different models he was selling. I mean two different colors of floor tiles...................... :rolleyes:
Well than sumbitch conned your friend just right. Probably would have gotten 9 out of 10 people with that approach.

Her454
09-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Well than sumbitch conned your friend just right. Probably would have gotten 9 out of 10 people with that approach.
I think he did but truth be told, the guys wont admit it.

Boatcop
09-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Similar thing happened to me.
I bought, what I thought was, a box of floor tiles, but when I got home and opened the box, I found out the bastard slipped a laptop in there. :mad:
:D
If it sounds too good to be true. It probably is.

Her454
09-12-2006, 12:06 PM
:D
If it sounds too good to be true. It probably is.'
My dad pounding that in my head over the years is probably what saved me that day LOL.

deltaAce
09-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Dialog w/parking lot "Salesmen" to see if they are legit, "Thats a great price guy's, let me call my desk Sargent back at the station, he'll want to take a look too! Can you wait here for a moment? :crossx:

soupersonic
09-12-2006, 12:10 PM
I thought it was called the " white van scam" . A couple guys cruisin around with alot of "extra" equipment willing to let it go cheap, its actually a legit company ,but what they sell is not good equipment like they say.They try to sell about $200 worth of speakers for thousands,showing brochures about how good the speakers are and pricing so you can see the "good deal" your getting.If you need to find these guys to "return" anything pick up your local paper and look for the ad that says "rock and roll" or something similar.

ratso
09-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Until a few days ago.
...good for you...that they didn't say...VIBRATORS! :crossx:

Biglue
09-12-2006, 12:32 PM
I think he did but truth be told, the guys wont admit it.
Hell nah. We'd never get conned like that. I posted that for the ladies to beware. :D

Her454
09-12-2006, 12:41 PM
...good for you...that they didn't say...VIBRATORS! :crossx:'
That something you're pretty familiar with Ratso? :crossx: :rollside:

YeLLowBoaT
09-12-2006, 01:56 PM
LOL you too, I remember those guys...I was asked atleast 3 times driving up and down sunrise.

MudPumper
09-12-2006, 02:13 PM
I got SCAMMED big time once. My girlfriend said she was taking me to a party. She said there would be an open bar, really good food and all my friends would be there. She was right, all my buddies were there, food was great. I hit the open bar, all I could drink. Woke up the next morning and I was married. :mad: WTF??????? :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

C-2
09-12-2006, 09:50 PM
The speaker scam was just that - a scam. White van with guys who liked to use the word "dude" a lot, carrying around copied artciles from audio mags nobody ever heard of. Dude, you never heard of .......
It was two brothers based in Chino, selling decent speaker boxes filled with chinese garb. Good size business, half of it was legit, they made the boxes for Mitsubishi big screens.
I had just completed an investigation on the owners and about a week later while sitting at a traffic light on Ventura Blvd in Encino...I see some stoner looking guy motioning for my attention. I roll down the window and sure enough...
Dude, we just got done with an install and have this extra set of killer speakers... I had to laugh.

doesitfloat?
09-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Until a few days ago.
My brother was 15 and fell for this exact scam. White van...Gave them $200 (in 1988-big $$$ for a 15 yo then) for these speakers that said Bose (or something good) but were made up of crap. He hooked them up all proud and went to play them and they sounded terrible--like an AM station. I felt so bad for him. But, he was stubborn and refused to accept that he got scammed and listened to them for over a year.

Thorsinc
09-12-2006, 10:51 PM
My deal started at 1,800. for a surround sound system. The “Dude” showed me the article in the magazine, invoice papers the whole nine yards. I made a quick call to my buddy who was online to look up the web page the “Dude” gave me. And my buddy did some quick searching around online and found about the scam, people selling them all over e-bay, forums warring people of he scam. So I bought the system for 30.00 and installed it in my friend’s garage and it sounds like a 40.00 system so I feel I scamed the "Dude for 10. bucks!