PDA

View Full Version : Drive dissconect

Dirtvet
09-12-2006, 11:29 AM
I'm looking for some options on breaking in the new cam. I would like to try it at home but, I dont think that I can remove the bellhousing to remove the drive shaft and and still run the engine at 2500 RPM required for the break-in.
Could you give me any tips that would make the break-in a little easier? I used the search function and coulden't much help on this subject.
I'll try and post a few pics of the bellhousing, I hope that they come out.

beerjet
09-12-2006, 11:31 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17554
looks like a pain in the ass.

Devilman
09-12-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm looking for some options on breaking in the new cam. I would like to try it at home but, I dont think that I can remove the bellhousing to remove the drive shaft and and still run the engine at 2500 RPM required for the break-in.
Could you give me any tips that would make the break-in a little easier? I used the search function and coulden't much help on this subject.
I'll try and post a few pics of the bellhousing, I hope that they come out.Two friends of mine both broke theirs in on the ramp, no boat ramps within a reasonable driving distance? :rollside:

shaun
09-12-2006, 11:59 AM
I think you have the same system i used to have for mounting the motor, it's a 3 point mount, there are 2 side brackets that mount to the stringers and then the housing clamps to the pump. In order to remove the drive line your going to have to unbolt the motor mounts, slide it forward, pull the housing and then unbolt the drive line... definitely a pain in the ass.

shaun
09-12-2006, 12:00 PM
oh ya, your going to need a engine hoist also :)

ERV JR
09-12-2006, 12:49 PM
As Bad As Everyone On Here Says It Is , I Took A Hose To The Motor And One To The Pump In The Grate , And Broke The Cam In In The Driveway. I Have The Same Bell Housing With A Motor Plate In Front And There Is Now I Was Going To Undo The Drive Line. So Far The Boats Run Good And No Problems With The Pump

SmokinLowriderSS
09-12-2006, 01:32 PM
As Bad As Everyone On Here Says It Is , I Took A Hose To The Motor And One To The Pump In The Grate , And Broke The Cam In In The Driveway. I Have The Same Bell Housing With A Motor Plate In Front And There Is Now I Was Going To Undo The Drive Line. So Far The Boats Run Good And No Problems With The Pump
Consider yourself lucky. And if you ever rebuild it with a UWR (ultimate wear ring), don't ever do it again.
I broke my cam in on the ramp, leave the inner springs out if you have 3-pc set to save stress on the wear-points.

Dirtvet
09-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the help!
The ramp idea sounds so much easier. From what I have read it goes something like this.
Back into the water on as steep of a ramp as I can.
Try and find a nice clean ramp that wont kick up a lot of dirt and rocks.
Keep the drive in forward.
How deep should it boat be in the water?
And will the one bar at the bow be enough to keep the boat in place?
Sorry for all the stupid questions but I don't want to replace another cam.
Thanks!

SmokinLowriderSS
09-12-2006, 03:16 PM
The boat doesn't even need to float. Cover the intake with water so it can feed. 2500 RPM and I do not think, in fwd, you are really going to pull a bunch of crap off the ramp surface. The boat should stay on the bunks and go nowhere but buy a set of transom tie-downs if it concerns you. I use a set for highway tows even though dad never did. Wal-Mart of all places sells a decent set, nylon strap, plenty tough. Way long on my Taylor (3'), but oh well.

beerjet
09-12-2006, 03:35 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17557
Sounds like smokin's got it to me . My trailer has a big ass bumper for the nose .
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/beerjet/38800487968302.jpg

SmokinLowriderSS
09-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Mine has a big rubber "V" pad, immidiately ahead of the bow eye, angled so the hull iself lays on it. Bow eye actually sits ON the aft/lower face of it and my winch holds it there.

Devilman
09-13-2006, 03:32 AM
Thanks for the help!
The ramp idea sounds so much easier. From what I have read it goes something like this.
Back into the water on as steep of a ramp as I can.
Try and find a nice clean ramp that wont kick up a lot of dirt and rocks.
Keep the drive in forward.
How deep should it boat be in the water?
And will the one bar at the bow be enough to keep the boat in place?
Sorry for all the stupid questions but I don't want to replace another cam.
Thanks!
SmokinLowrider's method was the way we did it. Friend of mine just broke in his blower motor a couple weeks ago, thats the way he did it. Ramp doesn't have to be steep, it's a good idea to check if ya can make sure there ain't a bunch of crap on the ramp though. Left it tied down on the trailer, backed in about top of the tire deep in the water. Bumped it about to about 2500 rpm & enjoyed a couple of frosty beverages while she sat there & hummed. :rollside:

h2oboy
09-13-2006, 12:33 PM
I just tied my my pump down to the trailer and put an extra strap on the front bow eye to the trailer to help keep the nose in place.

Dirtvet
09-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Frosty beverages! Hell yea, I could do that!
Thanks for all the info!

Taylorman
09-14-2006, 11:00 AM
SmokinLowrider's method was the way we did it. Friend of mine just broke in his blower motor a couple weeks ago, thats the way he did it. Ramp doesn't have to be steep, it's a good idea to check if ya can make sure there ain't a bunch of crap on the ramp though. Left it tied down on the trailer, backed in about top of the tire deep in the water. Bumped it about to about 2500 rpm & enjoyed a couple of frosty beverages while she sat there & hummed. :rollside:
Who could that be? Is it in his new boat?

Devilman
09-14-2006, 11:04 AM
Who could that be? Is it in his new boat?
I was talkin about Greg's. Nah, its still in his Taylor. We got it finished up that weekend we went to his lakehouse. He just came & got the Youngblood a couple of weekes ago, it needs a little work, so he said he was just gonna take his time with it. ( that & get rid of the pink colors on it :D )
You still going to Talledega?