PDA

View Full Version : prop/strut distance

Fired Up
11-16-2002, 09:38 PM
My old shaft was bent on my canyon flat and the previous owner of the boat had (yes,5) nickels between the shaft the outshaft on the v-drive. I had a new aquamet made about 1/2" shorter. How far from the back of the strut barrel should the prop be? Right now it is just shy of 3/4" of an inch. .650 inches measured with calipers. Is this too far back from the strut. I can't remember, more like I don't know. Thought it was supposed to be closer. I'm going to run it in the RR class next season. Thanks........

Fiat48
11-16-2002, 10:39 PM
Rule of thumb: end of the strut barrel is 26" measured to the end of the caviation plate. Keep the prop as close to the strut as you can for support. Blown boats generally have the strut underneath the boat further, but keep that prop close to the strut for safety.
The reason I gave you the strut measurments is because somebody has purposely (5 nickles) spaced the prop back, probably to keep the nose down. measure the strut barrell and see where it is at.

Sangster
11-17-2002, 07:40 AM
If the boat took a good set the way it was leave it...Although 3/4" is at the limit (3/8" is better)..I would have removed the nickels & added .500" to the shaft & went from there....Make sure your using a long coupler also... wink .

Fired Up
11-18-2002, 03:44 PM
Sorry. What I meant on my last post was that I ADDED about 1/2" to my new propshaft to make up what the nickels did. I'll check my measurements when I get home from work tomorrow on prop/plate measurements. This weekend at Bakersfield I saw a wide variety of distances between prop/strut measurements. Some were a good 1" others were just close enough to get a puller in. HP seemed to make a difference as to which were closer and which were not.