PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky Leo's

beyondhelpin
09-12-2006, 05:37 PM
What happened to the days when you could see police cars from a long distance? Used to be all cop cars looked the same. Over the last year Tulsa has removed the lights off the top of their cars. The also added 3 Malibus. All different colors and no lghts. Now they are really getting tricky. Added to their many Harleys, they now have several Ninja style cop bikes! Last month they added a black Ford 500 with custom chrome wheels. Chrome custom wheels on a cop car?!!! Now they have added a few Dodge Chargers with custom wheels. WTF
Not fair, you cant tell who is who and whoses writting the tickets! :mad: :mad: :mad:

ratso
09-12-2006, 05:39 PM
What happened to the days when you could see police cars from a long distance? Used to be all cop cars looked the same. Over the last year Tulsa has removed the lights off the top of their cars. The also added 3 Malibus. All different colors and no lghts. Now they are really getting tricky. Added to their many Harleys, they now have several Ninja style cop bikes! Last month they added a black Ford 500 with custom chrome wheels. Chrome custom wheels on a cop car?!!! Now they have added a few Dodge Chargers with custom wheels.
Not fair, you cant tell who is who and whoses writting the tickets! :mad: :yuk: :crossx:
They gotta be prepared for all those hard core criminals running 5mph over the speedlimit.

HM
09-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Let me start the flaming with "Just slow the fock down and go the speed limit, YOU BASTARD."
P.S. I hate it too, sneaky bastards!!! :D

Boatcop
09-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Oklahoma sounds a little behind in the times.
Many Departments did that several years ago. Trying to keep a low profile and in a quasi "stealth" mode. The trend was to dump the light bars for deck/grill lights. Black & Whites for neutral colors.
But then came a slew of rapes, robberies, homicides, etc. from imposter cops in easy to duplicate "smooth-tops". (as we called them)
Not to mention collisions during traffic stops, pursuits, etc.
When I'm running code, chasing a bad-guy, or stopped on the side of a dark highway at 2:00 AM, I want to be lit up like a Polish Christmas Tree.

GHT
09-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Today (In Vegas) I saw a Chevy deisel truck with a tool box bed that had someone pulled over... Looked like an everyday work truck.... Bet it had all kinds of S.W.A.T. equipment in it or something.. :)

Boatcop
09-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Today (In Vegas) I saw a Chevy deisel truck with a tool box bed that had someone pulled over... Looked like an everyday work truck.... Bet it had all kinds of S.W.A.T. equipment in it or something.. :)
More than likely a truck inspection vehicle. DPS has those here in AZ. Regular Highway Patrol, but trained and assigned primarily to commercial vehicle inspections. The tool box holds portable scales, bolt cutters, and other tools of the trade.

BadKachina
09-12-2006, 07:10 PM
It's funny we we're driving through the neighborhood the other day and my teenager points a standard cab green dodge pickup with tinted windows and says he sees that cop pulling people over all the time. It's pretty sneaky but in niegborhoods you should be doing the speed limit anyways.

Kilrtoy
09-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Its called the changing of times, vehicles are phased out and new ones replace them...
crown vics wont be around after next year
so 500's, chargers and impala's are the only choice left.
Kawi is out of teh game, so that brings out the BMW,HONDA and HARDLEY
08 KAWI should have a new model inplace and it will be the KZ1000 modified with a new fairing and bags

Boatcop
09-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Screw the Impalas. Give me one of these:
http://www.gmfleet.com/image/showroom/lgcar/07_Chevrolet_TahoePolice_LG.jpg

Kilrtoy
09-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Actually that is standard in beverly Hills and the SGT's and above drive land Rovers

Mighty Thor
09-12-2006, 08:35 PM
After years of multi colored HP cars the State here went back to the old Black and Whites cause people refused to pull over for a green, red, blue or white crown vic. The state Supreme Court said that people had a right to protect themselves by not stopping for a vehicle that did not "Clearly" look like a HP.

Outnumbered
09-12-2006, 08:41 PM
In the last few days I have seen a few Chargers and Durangos on the Fwy. Some DPS and some SO. The Durango was ultra-stealthy, looked like a soccer mom mobile--blue paint and stock wheels. The Charger light bar gave it away. The low-pro bar on the Durango looked like a roof rack :220v:

socalmoney
09-12-2006, 09:12 PM
These are made to tow boats, not pursue criminals at high speeds.
I would rather drive this.
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/il/features/general/does.that.cop.car.have.a.hemi/charger.police.500.jpg

Chromegorilla
09-12-2006, 09:31 PM
A couple weeks ago I went to visit the inlaws in NC and just before we left SC on I-95 I saw 2 brand new Ford Mustangs with chrome rims and lots of stickers ( Moroso, Edelbrock, Summitt) on the windows. One black with white rally stripes , the other white with blue stripes. It was SC State Troopers. One of the cars had a cowl hood.... well they had a new vette pulled over.... sneaky fockers :yuk:

Riomouse911
09-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Driving the SUV's stink. Too slow, poor cornering, brakes get hot and fade in a heartbeat, rear ends go out all the time due to harsh stop and go etc.. the Charger type vehicle looks like it's more the ticket... :cool:
CHP years ago experimented with tan and white and grey and white crown vic cars in urban areas to catch speeders, but that experiment went the way of the dodo. The Camaro's that are all white are nearing retirement, too. THOSE were sneaky cars on the freeways.
It's funny, here where I work the folks who holler and yell the most about the speeders ripping down the block when their kids are outside are the same ones who beef and complain the most when they get stopped for speeding on someone else's street. Hypocrites. :mad:
Plain and simple, we all roll the dice when we drive too fast, tow our boats too fast etc. We all get away with it 95% of the time, but when we get stopped and ticketed, the house won on that roll.

YeLLowBoaT
09-12-2006, 10:01 PM
I miss my ex-chp mustang. I am not sure what they did to it, but it would would smoke all of the "factory" mustangs.

Kilrtoy
09-12-2006, 10:13 PM
I miss my ex-chp mustang. I am not sure what they did to it, but it would would smoke all of the "factory" mustangs.
I used to have one working special assignments and DAMN that car hauled ass, it was a great highway car , but special assignment sucked.
I also used to have a ss camero, I think that think was as fast as my 05 vette, never got to find out....car was way to distracting to work in thou, even the chippies in their camero's were jealous

Seadog
09-13-2006, 05:25 AM
Oklahoma has used sneak mobiles for years. They are mostly used for functions that require a low profile, but at times they are used for traffic control with other standard marked cars. Usually, the standard cruisers are used for pulling people over. The Hipos stick with the B/W scheme. They have gone with the real low profile light bars and supervisor cars have no light bars. They also use a few SUVs.

Sleek-Jet
09-13-2006, 05:31 AM
DPS (or who ever) here in Tucson runs damn near everything... I think they even have a corolla or two on I-10, lots of new Impalas and I saw a Charger the other day. No white and blue markings, standard paint, chrome wheels. The only way you can figure out it's a cop is the fact that all the windows are completely blacked out... absolutely stealth at night.