PDA

View Full Version : 4 seat Rhinos getting Tickets ?:

Trailer Park Casanova
09-12-2006, 05:42 PM
An official clarification on this new rule off the BLM website, perhaps still vague?:
RIDING IN PICKUP BEDS AND OTHER UNSAFE ACTIVITIES. No person shall ride in the bed of a pick up truck or any part of a motor vehicle not designed for passengers on or off road.
Question:
What is "designed for passengers"? Does that mean that it needs to be a seat? Does the seat require seatbelts? Does it have to be factory installed?
And, what kind of education will be given to the imported Law Enforcement Officers this year concerning this rule?
BLM answer:
This means that the area that the passenger(s) are occupying needs to be designed for passengers, some pickups can have seats mounted in the rear, but it must be according to factory specs for that vehicle, and seatbelts are required. The phrase "May not ride anywhere not designed for passengers" is for those people who would put seats on the roof of their car or in the trunk, etc.

shadow
09-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Roll cage, bench seat, 5 point harnesses. If you put anybody back there with anything less, just go ahead a clean your bank account out now to prepare for the lawsuit that will surely follow when you kill somebody.
Does that mean a couple of weeks ago riding around with 7 people and
mudslides i was putting my retirement in jepordy? :rollside:
Crazy Horse allows it until 11pm!

shadow
09-12-2006, 06:02 PM
No belts! I'd rather have everyone thrown clear. :D
I did loose a big bottle of Vodka the following weekend while launching.
The Rhino/not the boat.

GHT
09-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Roll cage, bench seat, 5 point harnesses. If you put anybody back there with anything less, just go ahead a clean your bank account out now to prepare for the lawsuit that will surely follow when you kill somebody.
Well said.... Not to mention the regret you would have the rest of your life especially if it is one of your kids...

Kilrtoy
09-12-2006, 06:25 PM
RHino's are designed for 2 people
That means the tickets are valid

riverroyal
09-12-2006, 06:33 PM
buy a 4 seat rhino?haaaa......bob how bout a 4 point harness?If that gets enforced in glamis,Im out,selling everything

Outnumbered
09-12-2006, 06:35 PM
I think this is the kind of dumb-ass moves they are ticketing....http://gallery.aaaextreme.com/d/7459-2/PB250044.JPG

GHT
09-12-2006, 06:36 PM
RHino's are designed for 2 people
That means the tickets are valid
Even if you install a roll cage and harnesses for all in the rear seat? If that is the case how can they not give you a ticket for all the modifications done to street legal buggies or anyother mods we have all seen?

riverroyal
09-12-2006, 06:36 PM
thats a bit unsafe

riverroyal
09-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Even if you install a roll cage and harnesses for all in the rear seat? If that is the case how can they not give you a ticket for all the modifications done to street legal buggies or anyother mods we have all seen?
they maybe trying to find something to get rhino owners for,they have gotten very popular

shadow
09-12-2006, 06:40 PM
I think this is the kind of dumb-ass moves they are ticketing....http://gallery.aaaextreme.com/d/7459-2/PB250044.JPG
Hey that looks like SWB in the back!

Kilrtoy
09-12-2006, 06:41 PM
we are talking about BLM LAND, not az highways.....

GHT
09-12-2006, 06:42 PM
they maybe trying to find something to get rhino owners for,they have gotten very popular
Agreed... But generally when they start (LE) pulling sh1t out of their azzes there is usually another rule / law that will protect against (or counter) the law they are trying to make fit to THEIR needs....

GHT
09-12-2006, 06:43 PM
we are talking about BLM LAND, not az highways.....
So this isn't street / traffic infractions?

riverroyal
09-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Agreed... But generally when they start (LE) pulling sh1t out of their azzes there is usually another rule / law that will protect against (or counter) the law they are trying to make fit to THEIR needs....
I had to read that like 4 times,johnny cockring :rollside:

riverroyal
09-12-2006, 06:45 PM
So this isn't street / traffic infractions?
then no,its not street stuff just on their areas,so cal dunes,occotillo etc

GHT
09-12-2006, 06:47 PM
I had to read that like 4 times,johnny cockring :rollside:
Sorry, I'll take off my cockring now.. But thanks for the help

Trailer Park Casanova
09-12-2006, 06:49 PM
http://www.kawasaki.com/kawasaki_main/images/features/mule3010t.gif
Is this what the BLM Rangers wanna see with rear seats?

riverroyal
09-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Sorry, I'll take off my cockring now.. But thanks for the help
giving you shait,but if that starts happening in glamis,my rhino will be worth 5k

HocusPocus
09-12-2006, 07:46 PM
http://www.kawasaki.com/kawasaki_main/images/features/mule3010t.gif
Is this what the BLM Rangers wanna see with rear seats?
thats about it i think. i was told that if it didn't come from the maker set up for additional passengers then its not legal. this was from a yamaha dealer when i asked about adding rear seats.

Magic34
09-12-2006, 08:15 PM
buy a 4 seat rhino?haaaa......bob how bout a 4 point harness?If that gets enforced in glamis,Im out,selling everything
No, you'll be fine. As long as it has been modified with bolted seats, extended cage and belts you are OK.

Magic34
09-12-2006, 08:16 PM
thats about it i think. i was told that if it didn't come from the maker set up for additional passengers then its not legal. this was from a yamaha dealer when i asked about adding rear seats.
That's what the dealer has to say to cover their a$$.
At the ASA meeting with law enforcement this was brought up. As long as you have the items properly installed, you'll be OK.

Kilrtoy
09-12-2006, 08:47 PM
here is your answer as far as Cali goes. As long as the manufacture meets the following and it is approved per the following codes you should be ok...
Vehicle Not Equipped or Unsafe
38330. It is unlawful to operate any vehicle or combination of vehicles which is in an unsafe condition, which is not equipped as required by this chapter or the equipment regulations of the governmental agency having jurisdiction over public lands, or which is not safely loaded.
Carrying Persons in the Back of a Motor Truck
23116. (a) No person driving a pickup truck or a flatbed motortruck on a highway shall transport any person in or on the back of the truck.
(b) No person shall ride in or on the back of a truck or flatbed motortruck being driven on a highway.
(c) Subdivisions (a) and (b) do not apply if the person in the back of the truck is secured with a restraint system. The restraint system shall meet or exceed the federal motor vehicle safety standards published in Sections 571.207, 571.209, and 571.210 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(d) Subdivisions (a), (b), and (c) do not apply to any person transporting one or more persons in the back of a truck or flatbed motortruck owned by a farmer or rancher, if that vehicle is used exclusively within the boundaries of lands owned or managed by that farmer or rancher, including the incidental use of that vehicle on not more than one mile of highway between one part of the farm or ranch to another part of that farm or ranch.
(e) Subdivisions (a), (b), and (c) do not apply if the person in the back of the truck or the flatbed is being transported in an emergency response situation by a public agency or pursuant to the direction or authority of a public agency.
As used in this subdivision, "emergency response situation" means instances in which necessary measures are needed in order to prevent injury or death to persons or to prevent, confine, or mitigate damage or destruction to property.
(f) Subdivisions (a) and (b) do not apply if the person in the back of the truck or flatbed motortruck is being transported in a parade that is supervised by a law enforcement agency and the speed of the truck while in the parade does not exceed eight miles per hour.