PDA

View Full Version : Helmets

Her454
09-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Save lives. My daughter and step son are proof of that. Layed a brand new crotch rocket (I HATE THOSE THINGS) down tonite and they are both covered with road rash, busted knee, separated shoulder and possible broken arm and my daughters helmet has a chunk out of it right at the temple where she hit the pavement. I don't like those bikes and didn't want him to buy it - OR her riding it but at least they had sense enough to put helmets on out on these country roads. He took a turn too fast and hit the bank and endo'ed the bike and then skidded it down the road. They are lucky and Im very grateful for helmets tonite. Hate those phone calls. :yuk:
Go hug your kids.

JustMVG
09-12-2006, 09:25 PM
Wow glad they knew better and put the skid lids on, i wont ride without my helmet on even if it's just a 1 minute ride, you never know whats gonna happen. What kind of C rocket was it....

Her454
09-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Wow glad they knew better and put the skid lids on, i wont ride without my helmet on even if it's just a 1 minute ride, you never know whats gonna happen. What kind of C rocket was it....
I couldn't tell you, I no nothing about them and don't really care to. All I know is its Red & Black and pretty messed up now. Only two months old.

YeLLowBoaT
09-12-2006, 09:47 PM
I am glad to hear that they were not badly hurt.

doesitfloat?
09-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Sh!t, that is scary. They, and you, are so lucky. How old is he?
I don't think anyone under 21 should ride those things. There's so much to learn as a driver (sometimes the hard way) that I think kids should be driving a 70's sedan (read: lots o' metal around 'em). Those damn crotch rockets are so quick and unforgiving for the beginner, mistake prone, rider.
I'm glad for you that your not ID'ing 2 bodies right now. Good luck on their recovery.

BiggusJimbus
09-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Save lives. My daughter and step son are proof of that. Layed a brand new crotch rocket (I HATE THOSE THINGS) down tonite and they are both covered with road rash, busted knee, separated shoulder and possible broken arm and my daughters helmet has a chunk out of it right at the temple where she hit the pavement. I don't like those bikes and didn't want him to buy it - OR her riding it but at least they had sense enough to put helmets on out on these country roads. He took a turn too fast and hit the bank and endo'ed the bike and then skidded it down the road. They are lucky and Im very grateful for helmets tonite. Hate those phone calls. :yuk:
Go hug your kids.
Now had they been wearing the rest of the proper gear, Jackets, gloves, Pants, Boots, they might have gotten away with just bruises.
The good stuff is not cheap, but it's worth every penny. I've had freinds go down at over 100 mph and not had damage to anything but the gear and the bike.
Shorts and t-shirts are not a good idea.
Jim.
Oh, and I'm certainly glad that they are mostly OK and that the lessons weren't too brutal. But the road rash is going to leave a mark on their memories.

Her454
09-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Sh!t, that is scary. They, and you, are so lucky. How old is he?
I don't think anyone under 21 should ride those things. There's so much to learn as a driver (sometimes the hard way) that I think kids should be driving a 70's sedan (read: lots o' metal around 'em). Those damn crotch rockets are so quick and unforgiving for the beginner, mistake prone, rider.
I'm glad for you that your not ID'ing 2 bodies right now. Good luck on their recovery.
Thanks guys. He is 22 and she is 19. Very unforgiving, he learned that tonite. He was so scared that he hurt someone else, I hope he learned a lesson.

YeLLowBoaT
09-12-2006, 10:13 PM
I hope your right about curring them of wanting to get back on a bike.

Run_em_Hard
09-12-2006, 10:23 PM
People who love to ride will get back on a bike no matter what...but one good thing is lessons are always learned. I owned my Bullet bike for over 2 years and everyday you learn something new. I had a Semi blow a tire on the free-way while I was approaching it from the back. I was doing about 80 when it hit my bike and flew over my head. I never rode behind Semi's after that. He found his limits, just too bad he did it without full gear and with someone else on back.

Kilrtoy
09-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Now had they been wearing the rest of the proper gear, Jackets, gloves, Pants, Boots, they might have gotten away with just bruises.
The good stuff is not cheap, but it's worth every penny. I've had freinds go down at over 100 mph and not had damage to anything but the gear and the bike.
Shorts and t-shirts are not a good idea.
Jim.
Oh, and I'm certainly glad that they are mostly OK and that the lessons weren't too brutal. But the road rash is going to leave a mark on their memories.
OH SO TRUE
boots, gloves, glasses, good pants and upper torso cothing....
people who ride anything without a helmet is an idiot

Run_em_Hard
09-12-2006, 10:27 PM
I have to agree about whats being said here...leather gloves and a leather jacket are just as important as a helmet.
Glad that they are both alive...

BiggusJimbus
09-12-2006, 10:28 PM
I hope your right about curring them of wanting to get back on a bike.
It would be sad if they were afraid to get back on a bike (at least after a proper period of reflection on their errors), but preperation, training and experience are incredibly important. Especially when riding 2up.
I've been lucky. I've ridden for almost 20 years and never been down at any speed above about 2 mph. But I always expect it could happen at any time.
I didn't consider taking a passenger for a long time when I first started riding. I barely felt in control of myself. I certainly didn't think I could handle the actions of a passenger that was not used to riding. It takes a little practice to learn to be a good passenger as well. Until both of those factors are under control, riding fast 2up on a country road is a really bad idea.
Not to say that any of these factors were the cause here, I just don't know that, but I've seen and heard about enough of these kinds of results to suspect some of the above played a part. And a modern sportbike not offer much forgiveness in teh event of a mistake.
Like I said, just good to know that the lessons didn't come with a more serious price tag.
Jim.

Kilrtoy
09-12-2006, 10:30 PM
I've been lucky. I've ridden for almost 20 years and never been down at any speed above about 2 mph. But I always expect it could happen at any time.
Jim.
Yes you have, damn that is along time....

Run_em_Hard
09-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Kilr...how many times you been down. I know that you have told me about all the special training that you have been through, it sure would be nice to be able to take a class like they put you guys through.

BiggusJimbus
09-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Yes you have, damn that is along time....
I couldn't even begin to count the close calls.
But I've survived well by expecting every driver on the road to act in the worst possible manner.
Cuts down on the drama of riding in the cities.

Run_em_Hard
09-12-2006, 10:35 PM
I couldn't even begin to count the close calls.
But I've survived well by expecting every driver on the road to act in the worst possible manner.
Cuts down on the drama of riding in the cities.
The way that I have always said it is..."Drive like your invisible". Cause to most the people on the road you are.

Kilrtoy
09-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Kilr...how many times you been down. I know that you have told me about all the special training that you have been through, it sure would be nice to be able to take a class like they put you guys through.
Its been twenty years and 6 times, the second to last Im lucky to be even alive or even walking, head first into a parked car at 30mph, it was over and done in 2 seconds before I even knew what had happened...

BiggusJimbus
09-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Its been twenty years and 6 times, the second to last Im lucky to be even alive or even walking, head first into a parked car at 30mph, it was over and done in 2 seconds before I even knew what had happened...
I'm guessing in those 20 years, you've done 20 times the miles that I've done. I've ridden probably 100K miles in those years. Not a huge amount, but I sure don't want to stop anytime soon.

Kindsvater Flat
09-12-2006, 10:44 PM
Glad Brits ok Traci. Other kids name wouldn't have to start with the letter B would it?

YeLLowBoaT
09-12-2006, 10:44 PM
I like what the CHP officer said when he was investaging me being side swiped by a motor cycle. "Who ever has the most lug nuts wins"
I would not ride a bike on the street in sacramento, its just not safe( hell just driving here you have to be nuts.). Too many idoits in both cars and bikes. I have been hit 5 times since jan 1 of this year. None of them have been my falt. In fact all ,but 1 I was standing still. On the plus side I have made alot of money off my old truck being hit...If it was not for the fact that I use my truck for work I would paint targets on it.

Kilrtoy
09-12-2006, 10:50 PM
I'm guessing in those 20 years, you've done 20 times the miles that I've done. I've ridden probably 100K miles in those years. Not a huge amount, but I sure don't want to stop anytime soon.
Dont think I have done 100K yet, but I have done about 60k in the past three years, I average about 25 a year, but remember I only ride 3 days a week,
my partner does about 45K a year

JustMVG
09-12-2006, 11:53 PM
I used to ride t shirt flip flops shorts, went down and from then on i have worn all the safety equipment i can, no matter how hot it is, yeah it gets warm, but then i feel alot better with it on, glad to hear they're alright, Take Care T

RiverRatMike
09-13-2006, 01:17 AM
Go hug your kids.
Motorcyclist Dies,
No Helmet Is Probable Cause
WIKIEUP, AZ - A Golden Valley man was killed in a two vehicle traffic accident on U.S. 93 Sunday. The Department of Public Safety (DPS) said James L. Morris, 56, was dead at the scene of the wreck about 22 miles south of Wikieup.
DPS said Morris was northbound in the slow speed lane when a van was passing to his left at about 6:16 p.m. The agency said Morris drifted to the left with his motorcycle clipping the rear corner of the van.
DPS said Morris was ejected when the motorcycle left the highway and entered the median. Morris reportedly was not wearing a helmet and suffered severe head trauma

Trailer Park Casanova
09-13-2006, 03:13 AM
Oh Brother, glad to read they're OK other than some Raspberries and hope the rest heals soon Traci.
Geeze, they dodged a bullet and that's good.
Sorry to read you're going through this.
It'll all be better soon.
We sold the Harley,, too many close calls.

VanDeano
09-13-2006, 03:29 AM
Save lives. I don't like those bikes and didn't want him to buy it - OR her riding it but at least they had sense enough to put helmets on out on these country roads. He took a turn too fast and hit the bank and endo'ed the bike and then skidded it down the road. They are lucky and Im very grateful for helmets tonite. Hate those phone calls. :yuk:
Go hug your kids.
Im glad to hear they are both OK......BUT DONT BLAME THE BIKE, BLAME THE RIDER.

Rexone
09-13-2006, 03:36 AM
Glad they are ok Traci. That could have been a very tragic result. Skin and bones heal up, heads, not so much.
A little off topic but.... Now if we could only get the fast boaters to wear helmets as well as lifelines. I heard (hearsay) that Myra Gibson died of head injuries in the Poker Run accident at Lake Texoma. I can only wonder if a helmet would have saved her life. Just something to think about. I ski raced for over 20 years as an observer. I'm sure my helmet if not saved my life saved be from being brain damaged beyond my present level. Hit head pretty hard on a couple occasions. I don't go fast anymore without wearing one and I use to regularly.

Jbb
09-13-2006, 03:53 AM
Glad to hear they will be ok T......must have been a stressful phone call for you...

RitcheyRch
09-13-2006, 04:07 AM
Sorry to hear about their accident but glad to hear they are okay. Could have been worse.

cap'n chuy
09-13-2006, 04:18 AM
boy howdy on the gear!!! a good friend races a prostock bike in nhra and went down at 185, full leathers and gear and all she got was black and blue from the waiste down and a broken pinky!!! :yuk:

DILLIGAF
09-13-2006, 05:01 AM
Sorry to hear that T. I am glad they will be OK in time. Road rash feels worse as it starts to heal so it will be a painful reminder and hopefully it sticks in their minds as to how dangerous it is.
I personally don't wear a helmet if the law doesn't dictate I have to. Yes, it is a risk but I just prefer to ride that way. I always drive defensively and have been down 3 times. I don't drive a crotch rocket but a Harley. I am cautious but not overly cautious. There is a very fine line and only experienced riders know the difference. Too cautious and you put yourself at a higher risk...too aggressive and you also put yourself at a higher risk. I have been riding street bikes since I was 16. At 17 I made a trip from N CA to San Diego and back on a Honda 350 and Kawasaki 400. I don't know how many miles I have driven but it has added up over the years. One thing I do in 99% of my rides is to put on appropriate boots and jeans.
Be safe and expect the unexpected if you ride. Your friends and family want you to come back....

Sherpa
09-13-2006, 05:21 AM
it's never "if" you go down, it's always "when".
back in 1987 a buddy and I were looking at Kawi Ninja's to buy. the dealer told
us that 75% of the crotch rockets were crashed in the first 4-6 months......
--I didn't buy one. my freind did, and went down in the first 3 weeks of owning it...
--Sherpa

cap'n chuy
09-13-2006, 05:39 AM
check out her crash, after you click on the site its the last video on the page
www.nhra.com/2004/events/race10/video/index.html

doesitfloat?
09-13-2006, 05:39 AM
Oh Brother, glad to read they're OK other than some Raspberries and hope the rest heals soon Traci.
Geeze, they dodged a bullet and that's good.
Sorry to read you're going through this.
It'll all be better soon.
We sold the Harley,, too many close calls.
We did the same. Planned on getting another one but with 7 & 5 year old kids, we felt that we owed it to them to stick with boats and dirtbikes.
I'd hate for them to have to grow up w/o parents just because we "had to feel the air rushing through our hair". Sounds selfish...

Her454
09-13-2006, 06:05 AM
Thanks everyone, she finally got home from the hospital last night at 2:30. Long nite. :( K-Flat, wasn't Brady, it was Scotty.
I found out HE didnt have a helmet, gave it to her as they were just taking a short ride so he wanted her to have it on. He is from Sacramento and doesn't know these roads as well as he should, especially with a rider. Took a sharp corner too fast and then hit a dirt bank. On the other side of the bank was about a 100 foot drop so Im counting my blessings. Glad she at least had a helmet. Damn kids. I dont think she'll get on another one for quite a while and it couldn't make me happier. He's pretty sore and will have some road rash scars and one hell of a limp to remind him for a time to come. No alcohol involved, they don't drink. I'm blaming it on youth and inexperience.
Thanks again everyone.

Wet Dream
09-13-2006, 06:07 AM
Go hug your kids.
You can't blame the bike, I don't care what kind it is. I know, a slow ass oil drippin Harley can't go as fast, but I'm sure your step son would have laid one of those over in the same turn. You have to blame the inexperienced rider and passenger. He took the turn too fast. He had control of the throttle and brake. Going into a corner and through the apex, if the passenger doesn't know how to roll with the bike, it can upset things in a hurry. Everything has its limitation to performance. I'm not perfect either. Hell, I laid mine over at 5mph at night with gravel in the road. I'm glad thay are ok.

lawbreaker2
09-13-2006, 06:15 AM
People who love to ride will get back on a bike no matter what...but one good thing is lessons are always learned. I owned my Bullet bike for over 2 years and everyday you learn something new. I had a Semi blow a tire on the free-way while I was approaching it from the back. I was doing about 80 when it hit my bike and flew over my head. I never rode behind Semi's after that. He found his limits, just too bad he did it without full gear and with someone else on back.
I'm glad to here they are going to be ok, But on another note, With semi's is, I drive one and it is very hard to see bikes, and The other thing that bugs me is, I will be rolling down the big road and a car with start to pass and then just hang out for awhile next to my drive tires, or the rear trailer tires, NOT GOOD, I have see and read where a tire blew out and went though the side window of a car and killed a little baby in a car seat, How would you like to be that drive now, So please dont ride next to a big rig, just get bye as fast as you can.

lucky
09-13-2006, 06:45 AM
Go hug your kids.
wow Glad they are alive Traci -- My exstep son just bought one also - I worry about him as he is a bad luck sleprock !

Tremor Therapy
09-13-2006, 06:47 AM
I am glad to hear that they will both heal. Lots of good info here, and it is true, it is not the bike it is the rexperience of the rider. I know back in the dark ages I laid my bike down twice, and I always wanted to go riding again. It was the third time and kids that got me off a bike, but once the kids are all grown and out, I will be on one again.
I hope for both of them that they now have a little more experienced banked for the next time they decide to ride a bike!

wsuwrhr
09-13-2006, 07:11 AM
So much good advise that I can't add anything else.
My heart sinks everytime I read a thread like this.
I am glad everyone made it out relatively OK. I lost a very good friend in a motorcycle accident when we were 19, I'll never forget him or the lessons I learned.
Bikes are so dangerous today, but so fun at the same time. So fast, so quick.
Every new rider I hear about, I am always concerned.......when will it happen the first time.
I am just glad the injuries aren't severe.
Brian

Ziggy
09-13-2006, 07:52 AM
First off......Thank goodness they are ok and not badly hurt...I can only imagine your panic at first T....
We complain about new waverunner and high power boat drivers and their lack of ability..........this type of incident I would classify in the same catagory. We all hope he learned a lesson and thankfully it seems it wasn't overly harsh.

Her454
09-13-2006, 08:06 AM
Personally I've lost a few friends on bikes and seen some nasty bike wrecks on my daily commute. They are just not my cup of tea but to each his own. Really makes you think about things and how quickly they can happen.

Big Kahunaa
09-13-2006, 08:30 AM
i'm glad everyone is okay
i don't ever ride or drive next to big rigs they scare me

Flyinbowtie
09-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Good Gawd, Traci!
I can only imagine what last night was like for you.
Give em' both hugs for us R&R kin, will ya?
I like the fact that you at least see them learning a little bit about life from this.
They are both too young and have too much to look forward to for this kind of shiznit...

FMluvswater
09-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Glad they're okay, Traci. Hope you are too now. :wink: