PDA

View Full Version : is this scarab overpriced

axkiker
09-13-2006, 08:39 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-SCARAB-28S-28-FOOT-454-W-B-M-BLOWER-EXTRA-CLEAN_W0QQitemZ150027884646QQihZ005QQcategoryZ2643 2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
what do you all think about the buy it now price.

Tequila-John
09-13-2006, 08:42 AM
not sure bud

Jyruiz
09-13-2006, 08:43 AM
I don't know, but they could at least have had it detailed before taking the pictures, it looks dirty.

Tequila-John
09-13-2006, 08:49 AM
I don't know, but they could at least have had it detailed before taking the pictures, it looks dirty.
Yeah it does look dirty!

DILLIGAF
09-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Especially the engine and compartment.

RiverDave
09-13-2006, 08:54 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-SCARAB-28S-28-FOOT-454-W-B-M-BLOWER-EXTRA-CLEAN_W0QQitemZ150027884646QQihZ005QQcategoryZ2643 2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
what do you all think about the buy it now price.
I think I'd be hard pressed to pay that much money for that boat..
So to answer your question, Yes I think it's over priced.
RD

shockwavebd
09-13-2006, 09:01 AM
It's hard to say without seeing the boat in person and taking it out for a run......but the way the picks look I would think 25 to 30 would be in line.....closer to the 25 mark

axkiker
09-13-2006, 09:06 AM
yeah i dont know much about scarabs. I just happen to run across it and looked like a good fixer upper. I liked the lines and the blown motor. I am with you all I think its priced too high as well. However I have never priced scarabs.

Jordy
09-13-2006, 09:07 AM
I don't know:
THIS BOAT IS POWERED BY A CHEVROLET 454. THE VALVE COVERS HAVE BEEN UPDATED TO A 502.
Those "updated" valve covers have to be worth something, probably not as much as if they'd been updated to a 572. :D :D :D

playdeep
09-13-2006, 09:07 AM
Very overpriced....
Same boat,same year Scarab for sale here in New Mexico for 25k..
Ad says new 454,it's been for sale for several months...I'm thinkin, 20-22 might take it.

VanDeano
09-13-2006, 09:33 AM
If engine and outdrive had very low miles either from a rebuild or just low miles and the boat was in excellent condition and the seller (dealer) would agree to give me a 1 yr warranty on engine and outdrive then 25k seems ok.
The way I look at it is if I don't know the person selling the boat or a credible person telling me the history of the boat I would figure the engine is junk and I would have to consider the extra amount of money to replace the engine and that would be about 5k for a crate, and the outdrive I would think it would be junk too so I would have to deduct 2,500. Since you dont know the history I wouldn't give him more then $20k. If you pay him 25k and engine goes BOOM now your looking at a 30K paid.
Anytime you buy a boat that is almost 20 years old you have to expect the worse. But I would have to admit from what can be seen the boat is pretty clean. At least who own it look like he didn't do a half ass job in the engine compartment. Everything seem to be in place and nicely organized. I see it only has 187 hrs on it. Hell I put an average of 5 + hrs on mine on any given weekend. I average 50+ hrs on mine in a season. 187 hrs is nothing on a 20 old boat. (if it is true). What does that average out to about 9 hrs a season?
Tell him you'll give him 18k cash and see what he says. Because in 1988 the price of that boat new probably was around 50k - 60k

HocusPocus
09-13-2006, 09:53 AM
either you bought it, or someone else did.. the bidding is over on it.

Hardly Satisfied
09-13-2006, 10:30 AM
all boats are overpriced

HocusPocus
09-13-2006, 10:36 AM
all boats are overpriced
:crossx: :crossx: can't argue with that :crossx: :crossx:

VanDeano
09-13-2006, 10:48 AM
all boats are overpriced
Amen brother :crossx:

Magic34
09-13-2006, 10:52 AM
I think I'd be hard pressed to pay that much money for that boat..
So to answer your question, Yes I think it's over priced.
RD
I agree.

axkiker
09-13-2006, 11:45 AM
either you bought it, or someone else did.. the bidding is over on it.
I never bid on the boat. The reserve was never met so im guessing that it never sold unless outside of ebay. I was just reading through the add and he states "the reserve is not much lower than the buy it now price so dont think that you will steal it." The reserve was over 30k for a while and I guess he realized he would never get that so he lowered it to just under 30k. I was just currious what a good price would be since I am thinking about going this route one day.
I dont think I could really see giving much over 15 k for it. Unless they were nearly new engines and drives. Too much of a risk that things could go south really fast and leave me with an unusuable boat.

redneckcharlie
09-13-2006, 12:16 PM
if your serious about that boat, make sure you go look at it before you bid! i have been in that dealership in el paso on a few occassions, and to say some of their stuff is rough, is being nice. they are very close to the border and theres a reason for that. i'm not trying to start any xxit, just go look. :rollside:

axkiker
09-13-2006, 12:20 PM
thanks for the info but im just window shopping right now. Trying to get an idea what I want to do for the future. Good to know that I can probably ask around on this board and get insight on any dealers etc around the country. Will make shopping alot easier.
thanks

BajaMike
09-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Talk about riden hard and put away wet (and dirty) :cry:
...the boats almost 20 years old....I wouldn't give $10k for it.
:yuk:

spectras only
09-13-2006, 12:42 PM
If you want good info on scarabs , go to the right coast guys for feedback .
www.offshoreonly.com is one [ tons of scarabs on their classified's site ] .
www.speedwake.com is another . My experience with older scarabs is that
you have to check transoms and stringers real good . Friend of mine has a
38 he stretched to 41 and had to do some wood work on it ;) . I personally
would look for a project [ ie; broken engine or drive] that's cheap ,and do
the engine/drive combo to my liking . My friend also bought a 47 Pantera
recently with triple s/c engines , and just blown one of the engines ,
putting a rod cap through the oil pan :2purples: . Obviously there was
some issue with it :rolleyes: .Least he's got the boat fairly cheap :cool:

axkiker
09-13-2006, 12:56 PM
If you want good info on scarabs , go to the right coast guys for feedback .
www.offshoreonly.com is one [ tons of scarabs on their classified's site ] .
www.speedwake.com is another . My experience with older scarabs is that
you have to check transoms and stringers real good . Friend of mine has a
38 he stretched to 41 and had to do some wood work on it ;) . I personally
would look for a project [ ie; broken engine or drive] that's cheap ,and do
the engine/drive combo to my liking . My friend also bought a 47 Pantera
recently with triple s/c engines , and just blown one of the engines ,
putting a rod cap through the oil pan :2purples: . Obviously there was
some issue with it :rolleyes: .Least he's got the boat fairly cheap :cool:
ok more good info.
I gotta ask how do you stretch a boat from 38 to 41 feet. Im a pretty good fabricator but thats even out of my league.
later

spectras only
09-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Ask the Howard guys :) . They're making a 35 out of a 28 :cool:
My buddy worked on this yacht . It was strechted to 225' from 200 or so .The stretching and some upgrade cost a cool 20 M .
http://yachts.monacoeye.com/yachtsbysize/pages/attessa01.html

ClownRoyal
09-13-2006, 02:14 PM
I have owned two Scarabs. One a 1990 31 with 454 mags. Clean thruout and sold for $40K. That was a fair price.
This boat is way overpriced. Need to get it for under 20K. That is assuming it is turnkey. Old boats like this can nickle-and-dime you to death.
My .02 1/2