PDA

View Full Version : Lemon Law....

UnionJack
09-13-2006, 09:19 AM
So I love my new Dodge Cummins, but I blew up the motor and it has been in the shop for almost two weeks and they are still trying to figure out if they are going to give me a new engine or fix the old one. How does lemon law work and has anyone used it?

Phat Matt
09-13-2006, 09:20 AM
So I love my new Dodge Cummins, but I blew up the motor and it has been in the shop for almost two weeks and they are still trying to figure out if they are going to give me a new engine or fix the old one. How does lemon law work and has anyone used it?
I think you would have to blow it up 3 times. :D

Nord
09-13-2006, 09:21 AM
I believe you have to either have 3 major problems, or the same major problem 3 times, I can't remember.

Sleek-Jet
09-13-2006, 09:22 AM
I think you would have to blow it up 3 times. :D
It's a Dodge... give it a little time... :D :D :D

OutCole'd
09-13-2006, 09:26 AM
Or in the shop for over 30 days in a 12 month period I believe.

LAFD
09-13-2006, 09:43 AM
are they trying to find out how to go about fixing it or are they trying to figure out how to screw you out of your warranty?

Hardly Satisfied
09-13-2006, 09:44 AM
first mistake buying a dodge

Jyruiz
09-13-2006, 09:47 AM
You have to take it back 4 times for the same problem, or twice if it is a safety issue, or like OutCole'd said.

HocusPocus
09-13-2006, 10:03 AM
http://ag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon.htm this site has the lemon law info.

UnionJack
09-13-2006, 10:04 AM
The AG of California's web site say "within the first 18 months or 18,000 mile the vehicle must spend more the 30 days cumlative in the shop" Who would I talk to about this, do you get a lawyer or what?

NoCal NoBoat
09-13-2006, 10:07 AM
Don't hesitate to call Daimler-Chrysler and let them know about the problem.
I had a head gasket issue with a Dodge Car @ 22,000 miles.
The dealership, where I bought the new car, "forgot" to mention that they were aware that there was that kind of problem with that particular make/model. And they certainly didn't volunteer that D-C would pick up the cost of the repair for the cost of a phone call and very little prodding.
Once I got a case number from D-C, my out of pocket went way down. One of my soccer moms paid $ 2,000 for a similar repair on the same year, make, and model. She was a second owner, and probably out of warranty.
Good luck. No sarcasm, I mean that sincerely. The car has been great since the repair, but I won't give the dealership the time of day. The car came with lifetime oil changes, but I pay to take it elsewhere...

sigepmock
09-13-2006, 10:10 AM
The AG of California's web site say "within the first 18 months or 18,000 mile the vehicle must spend more the 30 days cumlative in the shop" Who would I talk to about this, do you get a lawyer or what?
Start with the BBB( Better Business Beureau) sp? File a complaint, the contact Dodge Corp. Customer service and get a case file #opened. After that I'm not sure. Our shop mech. went through it I know this is how he got started but I'll ask him the rest when i see him today or tomorrow.
Sorry to here about your troubles.
Chris

Starloans
09-13-2006, 10:14 AM
I've heard the same thing outcoled. 30 days in the shop in a year. If they have had it almost two weeks and have not decieded yet, I bet it will be a month b 4 u get it back.
The ex GF had a POS Chrysler Sebering that was just that, a POS. Went to the shop numerious times for window problems and would not start after driving it for a while. The ex was a superior negotiator and didn't put up with any shit. They tried to give her a new one but she bought a Beemer instead. She was leasing the car. Had it for 14 months, got her down payment back and all the lease payments.
Basically what she did was after a few trips to the shop, she ask for the service manager and explained how inconveinenced she had been and didn't want the car any longer. I know this because I had to pick her up from the dealer a few times. This woman was an expert and pretty much got what she wanted and didn't make any bones about it. She wasn't rude or mean about it but was pretty clear what she wanted.
The service manager said to bring the car back on a certian day when the district manager would be there and he would check it out. She did and that was that. She got a check in the mail a week later.
I'm not she if she met any thresholds with trips to the dealer, days in the shop, etc. They just wanted her to go away. :cry:
Made her sign a paper saying she would not badmouth Chrysler, etc. I guess thay don't read these boards. :cry: :cry:
Good luck.

Starloans
09-13-2006, 10:23 AM
If you don't want the truck, don't go in and start saying I'm going to sue you, lemon law, I got an attorney, etc. Just keep going up the ladder of the company until you get what you want. I would not even say "lemon law" at this point. Start with the service manager and go up. Each person you come in contact with, ask them if THEY make the decisions and can solve your problem and keep going until you get a yes. They are a large company and once you get to the right person they will not want you screaming on ***boat or anywhere else about how bad Dodge is, etc.

LAFD
09-13-2006, 10:24 AM
didi you get it from a autonation dodge dealer? if you did let me know and i can get you in touch with the district service manager.

455Rocket
09-13-2006, 10:26 AM
I used the CA Lemon law w/ a 2004 Nissan Titan that went to shit... it was in the shop for 45 days. When you hit the time period of either 30 days OR the problem happens 4 times, go straight to a lemon law attorney. The dealer has no power, and the mfg. won't deal... The lawyer is paid by the mfg. PERIOD... you pay nothing.
PM me and I'll give you the # to my lawyer

beaverretriever
09-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Or in the shop for over 30 days in a 12 month period I believe.
Correct.
Our Durango was in the shop for over 30 days. We didnt even have to Lemon Law it. The dealer felt bad, called us, we came down, and they gave us the top of the line one at no extra charge, no questions asked. Now thats a good dealer.

UnionJack
09-13-2006, 12:16 PM
didi you get it from a autonation dodge dealer? if you did let me know and i can get you in touch with the district service manager.
Moss Dodge

Havasu Cig
09-13-2006, 12:20 PM
When we lemon lawed our 03 Excursion we used an attorney in Orange County. Nver even had to meet face to face with him. It was all done over the phone, e-mails and faxes. His fee was paid by Ford. When we brought up the issue of safety it sped up the process.

blown dough
09-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Our friend has the same exact truck as you and blew it up a few weeks ago pulling his boat to Havi.

UnionJack
09-13-2006, 12:37 PM
When we lemon lawed our 03 Excursion we used an attorney in Orange County. Nver even had to meet face to face with him. It was all done over the phone, e-mails and faxes. His fee was paid by Ford. When we brought up the issue of safety it sped up the process.
How long did you wait to talk to an attorney? I had the truck towed to Dodge on Sunday August 27, after the it shut down on me on the freeway and the undercaridge caught on fire... It was a small fire :cool:

uclahater
09-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Heres the web site address for the King of Lemon Laws :idea: :idea:
www.normantaylor.com/history.html

LAFD
09-13-2006, 12:53 PM
How long did you wait to talk to an attorney? I had the truck towed to Dodge on Sunday August 27, after the it shut down on me on the freeway and the undercaridge caught on fire... It was a small fire :cool:
shoulda let the sum bitch burn. :crossx:

Sherpa
09-13-2006, 01:13 PM
If you don't want "that" same truck back, give the dealer enough rope (time)
to hang himself so the lemon-law 30-day rule comes to play.... you won't have to even fight at that point............
someone wrote to contact the BBB.......... That certainly won't do shit...
neither will contacting the BAR............ The BAR will "attempt" to have both
parties go to arbitration, but neither are obligated whatsoever.........you're
still left holding the bag.......
Sherpa

meaniam
09-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Moss Dodge
]
moss dodge is a work of art. good luck if thats who you are going to with service. :yuk:

River918
09-13-2006, 05:50 PM
In a period of 14 months I had my 2004 Ford F250 PSD and a 2005 33' Gearbox 5th wheel lemon lawed...It is a long process, but woth the wait to get what you want....I used this law firm for the truck http://www.normantaylor.com/ and handled the trailer myself...I wouldn't recomend using them, but their site has alot of good information on it..They'll also send you an information booklet free of charge...
Normally the vehicle has to be in the shop 4 or more times for the same problem for a total of at least 30 days during the regular warranty period of the vehicle (mormally 3yr/36000mi)
If you can show the problem is a safety issue (ie. truck looses power while driving on the freeway like mine did) then it can be lemon lawed before giving them four chances to fix it.
pm me if you have any questions

UnionJack
10-06-2006, 02:11 PM
So today is day 32, and now they might have to do new injectors.... So they are hoping next week, I called norman taylor today

River918
10-06-2006, 02:18 PM
So today is day 32, and now they might have to do new injectors.... So they are hoping next week, I called norman taylor today
I would recomend going to pick up the truck..If they have had it for 30+ days for the same problem, that's all you're required to do. If you leave it there and they fix it, you're SOL. You can't lemon law it if the vehicle is fixed. Even if they take 6 months to fix it, once it's fixed you can't lemon law it.
Mine was in the shop for 6 days that last time and once it hit 30 days total for the same problem, the lawyer told me to go pick it up.

UnionJack
10-06-2006, 02:22 PM
I would recomend going to pick up the truck..If they have had it for 30+ days for the same problem, that's all you're required to do. If you leave it there and they fix it, you're SOL. You can't lemon law it if the vehicle is fixed. Even if they take 6 months to fix it, once it's fixed you can't lemon law it.
Mine was in the shop for 6 days that last time and once it hit 30 days total for the same problem, the lawyer told me to go pick it up.
If they call me back and say to do it I will, I will get a tow truck to come pick it up

Tom Brown
10-06-2006, 02:33 PM
What kind of mechanic takes 2 weeks to figure out how to repair a blown engine? :confused:

GoCiggie31
10-06-2006, 04:23 PM
I disagree:
Like said in earlier post: 18mo/18k , 30 days for the same cumulative, with unreasonable attempts (usually 4) and they are done.
Call the mfg and have a meeting with the GM of the dlr to start the process. The mfg will want to save attorney fees if the facts are there. You have a choice on a like-vehicle or your money back with maybe usage charge.
Most mfgs do the right thing and follow the law, sometime more if you stay in the product.

SUPERDUTYRHINO
10-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Lemon-lawing my 04 SD as we type, it doesn't mater whether they fix it or not. Even with an attorney the BBB will be involved, you'll win in the end, but it does take time. I'm at 44 days and counting...
Tim

River918
10-07-2006, 12:48 AM
I disagree:
Like said in earlier post: 18mo/18k , 30 days for the same cumulative, with unreasonable attempts (usually 4) and they are done.
Call the mfg and have a meeting with the GM of the dlr to start the process. The mfg will want to save attorney fees if the facts are there. You have a choice on a like-vehicle or your money back with maybe usage charge.
Most mfgs do the right thing and follow the law, sometime more if you stay in the product.
Just speaking from MY experience with having my 2004 Ford bought back under the lemon law.....My truck was bought back 24 months after I purchased it...

All-Star
10-07-2006, 12:57 AM
All of my friends that have been through this... have came out a head....
They pay all of your down payment back plus all of your payments that you have made......plus read up on the rules.... follow them. If you have already been having problems then document them and then find a Lawyer on line and they will do th rest. I think the rule of thumb is three time in three months for the same thing... But it has to be a major issue.
Good Luck! :220v:

GoCiggie31
10-07-2006, 07:10 AM
Just speaking from MY experience with having my 2004 Ford bought back under the lemon law.....My truck was bought back 24 months after I purchased it...
that is a good thing.
Sounds like Ford did the right thing even though it technically did not qualify. Sometimes it does not pencil for the mfg to fight if they know they have a safety issue or something that should not go public.

Not So Fast
10-07-2006, 10:35 AM
I find it ironic that I read story after story like this on Ford, Dodge or Chevy etc. but yet people keep buying them and they swear by them, sort of odd. NSF

455Rocket
10-07-2006, 11:41 AM
That's not the case... I drove my lemon truck for 2 weeks after they "fixed" it the last time. My atty. set up an appoitment to drop the truck off at the dealer, transfer papers were signed, and a check was in the mail.

Mrs.HLB
10-09-2006, 09:13 AM
We had a problem with our 04 Ford F150 that was taken back. I had contacted someone to Lemon Law the vehicle. She wouldn't do anything until we contacted the dispute settlement board at Ford first to see if they were willing to take the vehicle back. If not then I was to contact her. So I would suggest contacting Dodge (main office) complaint dept or whatever they call it and try to settle with them first. Our outcome was Ford took the vehicle back and didn't even have to go thru the Lemon Law Attorney. Paid us our down payment, payments made and any aftermarket stuff we did also. It was not that bad of a deal..
Good luck to you..
Mrs.HLB

Trailer Park Casanova
10-09-2006, 09:21 AM
I find it ironic that I read story after story like this on Ford, Dodge or Chevy etc. but yet people keep buying them and they swear by them, sort of odd. NSF
Until Toyota introduces a truck that will tow 18.000 lbs, it's one of the three for us.
Have no choice beyond that.
Our GMC's have been teriffic, our Toyotas perfect.