PDA

View Full Version : outdrives should have "whirlaways"

Sherpa
09-13-2006, 01:25 PM
The Lake Texoma crash got me thinking......
If/when a drive breaks, and locks up one prop on a twin-screw boat, the
other motor is still powering the hull toward the broken drive side, causing
a real-quick turn.......
so why don't outdrives, or arneson drives have whirlaways-??
The whole accident might not have happened given to above was already
inplace................
In a cat hull, one broken drive (prop locked up solid) would be equal to
throwing out a bigass parachute on one side of the boat.............
reverse gear could still be accomplished by pre-setting a load limit enabling
the prop to spin backwards up to a pre-set torque.
--Sherpa
thoughts or comments-?

Dave C
09-13-2006, 01:27 PM
they already do... well sort of... when those POS drives break its usually a shaft so they free spin.
motor lock is a whole different story altogether :sqeyes:

Havasu Hangin'
09-13-2006, 01:31 PM
I think they were saying the tie-bar let loose, so there was no steering.
The prop locking up doesn't really cause as many problems as people think. If a motor locks up, then the prop stops. And if the drive breaks, sometimes the prop will freewheel.
I believe Dan had a motor shutdown at 140MPH+, and it went straight (with a little help). I think where you can get in trouble is if the gimbal breaks...then you lost steering, and you will probably hook.

soupersonic
09-13-2006, 01:58 PM
I think they were saying the tie-bar let loose, so there was no steering.
The prop locking up doesn't really cause as many problems as people think. If a motor locks up, then the prop stops. And if the drive breaks, sometimes the prop will freewheel.
I believe Dan had a motor shutdown at 140MPH+, and it went straight (with a little help). I think where you can get in trouble is if the gimbal breaks...then you lost steering, and you will probably hook.
On mine, the power steering is run by the starboard engine and when that one doesnt run its a b*tch to steer.Is steering set up the same most baller boats? If it is i would hate to have that engine shut down at speed.

deltaAce
09-13-2006, 02:27 PM
There would still be the problem of the powered drive push-steering to boat.

RiverDave
09-13-2006, 05:12 PM
I think an easier solution to that would be for somebody to just design a drive that doen't break.. It doesn't seem to me like this would be impossible to do..
RD

SK48
09-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Also a whirlaway is great in a small race boat, but just the design means that
you cannot use reverse with one. Some of the ski race boats used to have
them with really big springs, so you could back up, as long as you did not apply much power.

Run_em_Hard
09-13-2006, 06:52 PM
I think an easier solution to that would be for somebody to just design a drive that doen't break.. It doesn't seem to me like this would be impossible to do..
RD
Good idea...someone should get on this!!!

wsuwrhr
09-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Good idea...someone should get on this!!!
I would have done this already, but I can't afford a boat to test it on.
Brian

mbrown2
09-13-2006, 07:26 PM
RD
Hmm...Easier said then done.....Maybe we will cure aids too....seems to me folks have been trying on the outdrive..........and failing
:idea: :) :idea:

h2oski2fast
09-13-2006, 08:09 PM
Hmm...Easier said then done.....Maybe we will cure aids too....seems to me folks have been trying on the outdrive..........and failing
:idea: :) :idea:
The issue with making an outdrive that will last will be the cost. I have seen some designs (Bravo Style) that would last only problems being sourcing the gears that would last and the cost would be outrageous, so all the budget ballers will still run the cheaper stuff and people would still be breaking them.
There are 6s out there, and when properly driven and maintained, are nearly bullet proof. Only problem is the budget ballers would rather take their chances to run with big boys.
The whirl-away idea is a good one, only problem is that it would have to be on the prop shaft to be effective, that would render reverse useless.
The accident in Texoma, as very unfornate as it is and from my understanding, was not a driveline failure, rather a steering component failure.

Run_em_Hard
09-13-2006, 08:40 PM
What about titanium gears and shafts??? Seriously.

wsuwrhr
09-13-2006, 11:23 PM
There are much better alloys than titanium IMHO.
Titanium is used mostly as a strength to weight ratio alloy.
Brian

Mr. V-Driver
09-14-2006, 08:27 AM
Titanium doesn't have the impact or abuse quality that 4340, 8620, 9310 steel has and some of the other type of steels that we use.
Metalurgy tests have been done. We make some high strength shafts and innerds for Teague Marine for their platinum bravo drive. Replaces the stock Mercury stuff and is Vertually unbreakable!!!!
If anyone wants to upgrade give them a call 661-295-7000.
Ask for Mike, he should be able to give some insight on the issue.
AS far as a Whirlaway on these drives, Hmmmmm!
Hope this tech. info. helps!!!

RiverDave
09-14-2006, 09:25 AM
Titanium doesn't have the impact or abuse quality that 4340, 8620, 9310 steel has and some of the other type of steels that we use.
Metalurgy tests have been done. We make some high strength shafts and innerds for Teague Marine for their platinum bravo drive. Replaces the stock Mercury stuff and is Vertually unbreakable!!!!
Might want to check with 3 Days Only on that.. I know he's broken a few of them, and he's only running 800 HP per side.
RD

Jordy
09-14-2006, 09:33 AM
RD
Yeah, here you go talking all crazy and shit... Next thing you know, you're going to suggest that the prop should be on the front of the outdrive. :rolleyes: :D :D

h2oski2fast
09-14-2006, 09:51 AM
Right, now what do you do about the poor design (for higher HP aplications) cone cluthes? That will be the next part to fail. The 4x4 drives also dont live, reason being the 2 extra gears are cantilevered, so there will be flex.

h2oski2fast
09-14-2006, 09:52 AM
There are much better alloys than titanium IMHO.
Titanium is used mostly as a strength to weight ratio alloy.
Brian
The military now uses M3 instead of Ti.

superdave013
09-14-2006, 10:10 AM
You guys need to $hit can those black junk buckets and go back to what works.
Yup that's right, you need a Casale V drive is ya wanna play with big power and not bring spare drives to the lake. :D

wsuwrhr
09-14-2006, 11:28 AM
You guys need to $hit can those black junk buckets and go back to what works.
Yup that's right, you need a Casale V drive is ya wanna play with big power and not bring spare drives to the lake. :D
Yea what he said.....
1500 HP all day long.
Brian

Boatlesss
09-14-2006, 05:18 PM
The issue with making an outdrive that will last will be the cost. I have seen some designs (Bravo Style) that would last only problems being sourcing the gears that would last and the cost would be outrageous, so all the budget ballers will still run the cheaper stuff and people would still be breaking them.
There are 6s out there, and when properly driven and maintained, are nearly bullet proof. Only problem is the budget ballers would rather take their chances to run with big boys.
The whirl-away idea is a good one, only problem is that it would have to be on the prop shaft to be effective, that would render reverse useless.
The accident in Texoma, as very unfornate as it is and from my understanding, was not a driveline failure, rather a steering component failure.
The report on the internet did not state there was a steering problem with the Eliminator.
http://www.wacotrib.com/hp/content/gen/ap/OK_Boat_Accident.html