PDA

View Full Version : What Marina around the OC area???

Magic34
09-13-2006, 02:08 PM
I want to start looking into moving our 55' Sea Ray from Tampa to the OC area. I know nothing about marinas that are in that area as well.
I would like to try and stay close to the OC airport (J. Wayne) so I could grab a quick flight and be on the boat within 2 hours of leaving PHX.
The only thing I know is that there is probably a long waiting list to be in the slips. Are there any covered slips in the area as well?
Which ones should I look into? Being close to the airport is more important than being close to Catalina or something. The boat holds a ton of fuel, so that isn't the issue.
Thanks!

DILLIGAF
09-13-2006, 02:11 PM
I want to start looking into moving our 55' Sea Ray from Tampa to the OC area. I know nothing about marinas that are in that area as well.
I would like to try and stay close to the OC airport (J. Wayne) so I could grab a quick flight and be on the boat within 2 hours of leaving PHX.
The only thing I know is that there is probably a long waiting list to be in the slips. Are there any covered slips in the area as well?
Which ones should I look into? Being close to the airport is more important than being close to Catalina or something. The boat holds a ton of fuel, so that isn't the issue.
Thanks!
I guess the Back Bay (Newport Beach) area would probably be the closest for you. Huntington Beach would be second. As far as getting a slip good luck. I guess some people sell their old broken down boats to get around the slip issue. Maybe buy a broken down boat for a lot of money and then junk it to get a slip?

JB in so cal
09-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Newport is 2 miles from jwa. Dana Point is about 15 miles to the south. Prolly long wait lists at both places as well as Huntington Harbor. No covered parking anywhere in so cal.
I like Newport for the restaurants, night life, etc. but from your slip to open water could be about 20 minutes. Dana Point; the longest would be 5 minutes.
Dana Point has Turks; great watering hole.
Good luck with your search.

Cole Trickle
09-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Newport Beach/Balboa
Huntington
Dana Point
I am pretty sure that Dana point will be the cheapest per foot.I am also pretty sure that it is really hard to get a permanent dock at all 3 places.
My mom sub leased a place for awhile and was on the waiting list with her 30' Sailboat for quite some time.She ended up selling the boat because it was such a hassle.
If you get it out here and need an extra deck hand I am always game:D

NautiTwins
09-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Thanks!
You may also want to look into Ventura. You can fly out of Williams Gateway to Oxnard then you would have a 10 minute drive to the harbor. Just a thought!

Caribbean Jet
09-13-2006, 02:22 PM
If your flying, what about Long beach? Long Beach Airport is not far from Marina's out there. We have a 30 sale boat out there. You have to drive through the Industrial part to get to the Harbor but it's nice once you get there. Just a thought.

BajaMike
09-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Slips are very hard to get....it took me a one year wait to get a dry storage spot for my little 20 footer in Dana Point.
Newport is the closest, then Huntington Harbor (10 miles), then Dana Point (20 miles) from the airport.
There's not much to do or places to go with a boat out here either, compared to boating in the South. I've boated in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi and Loisianna, and there's nothing like that here, very few bars on the water have more then one or two slips for visiting boaters.
You won't find anything like Shephard's in Clearwater Beach on the whole west coast..... :cry:
http://www.shephards.com/images/gallery2_01.jpg
If was me, with a nice big boat like that, I'd probably keep it in Florida...
:rollside: :)

SOCALDETAIL1
09-13-2006, 02:26 PM
You can try Newport Dunes, Pretty much anything in OC is a waiting list. I can pretty much get you in Huntington Harbor or Long Beach (Bahia Marina). I am at these marinas once a week and they are packed. You can also try Newport Slip Management 949.675.4847. I think at this point your better off just looking for a person that is sub-leasing a slip. Mark

h2oski2fast
09-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Real tough to find a slip for a boat over 50' in Newport or Huntington, Probably Marine Del Ray would be the best for that.

BajaMike
09-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Newport is 2 miles from jwa. Dana Point is about 15 miles to the south. Prolly long wait lists at both places as well as Huntington Harbor. No covered parking anywhere in so cal.
I like Newport for the restaurants, night life, etc. but from your slip to open water could be about 20 minutes. Dana Point; the longest would be 5 minutes.
Dana Point has Turks; great watering hole.
Good luck with your search.
Turks is cool, but there really is not parking for transient boats, except room for about 3 boats at the Jolly Rodger, unless you have a digney and anchor out..... :idea:

SOCALDETAIL1
09-13-2006, 02:30 PM
Real tough to find a slip for a boat over 50' in Newport or Huntington, Probably Marine Del Ray would be the best for that.
Marina Del Rey is going through some big issues right now I would stay away from there.

Froggystyle
09-13-2006, 02:34 PM
You won't find anything like Shephard's in Clearwater Beach on the whole west coast..... :cry:
http://www.shephards.com/images/gallery2_01.jpg
You ain't kidding... That is my single favorite bar in the world. The best part is wading out, walking down the beach a little ways, back in to get the Rum Runner from the hotel bar next door (purely lethal amount of clear stuff in that drink, with a 151 "floater" at the bottom. They fill the bottom of the drink with 151, don't stir it then float the rest of the mix on top of it. You stick your straw in all the way to the bottom and drink fast until it is below the little line on the outside of the styrofoam cup. Instant hammered.) and then wading back out, back up the beach and hanging out in the water drinking your rocket-fuelesque Rum Runner. That was the best scenery, hottest ladies and best drive up bar I have ever been to. I will be bringing the Revolution there soon I hope.
The best part about Tampa was going out on Saturday night, and seeing everyone from the night before in bikinis the next day at Shephards.
Ahhhhhh... Tampa.

sigepmock
09-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Thanks!
The problems you Faulking BALLERs face......I really feel bad for you.... :cry: :yuk: :D
PS can I use it when your not in town??? :crossx:

BajaMike
09-13-2006, 03:08 PM
You ain't kidding... That is my single favorite bar in the world. The best part is wading out, walking down the beach a little ways, back in to get the Rum Runner from the hotel bar next door (purely lethal amount of clear stuff in that drink, with a 151 "floater" at the bottom. They fill the bottom of the drink with 151, don't stir it then float the rest of the mix on top of it. You stick your straw in all the way to the bottom and drink fast until it is below the little line on the outside of the styrofoam cup. Instant hammered.) and then wading back out, back up the beach and hanging out in the water drinking your rocket-fuelesque Rum Runner. That was the best scenery, hottest ladies and best drive up bar I have ever been to. I will be bringing the Revolution there soon I hope.
The best part about Tampa was going out on Saturday night, and seeing everyone from the night before in bikinis the next day at Shephards.
Ahhhhhh... Tampa.
And there are places like Shephards, with 50 to 100 boats and 100s of sweet southern girls, in almost every harbor, bay, island and river from Florida to Texas, and I don't know of one on the West Coast....
We've got to drive 5 hours inland to find some fun spots on the water.... :cry:
:cool:

burtandnancy
09-13-2006, 03:21 PM
If your 55 Sea Ray shows up at Lake Pacific and no slips are available for a few years, you may have to move it to Lake Mead (also, only covered slips on left coast).

Never Satisfied
09-13-2006, 03:37 PM
If your serious about this give me a call. The guy with the slip next to us subleases his out because he keeps his boat in La Paz now. 65' slip in Newport 10 minutes from the airport.

BajaMike
09-13-2006, 03:39 PM
Thanks!
You going to truck it over or bring it through the Panama canal??
My buddy has a 45' Sea Ray on the Tickfaw River in Louisiana....what a nice big, confortable boat!!!
:rollside:

Magic34
09-13-2006, 04:03 PM
You going to truck it over or bring it through the Panama canal??
My buddy has a 45' Sea Ray on the Tickfaw River in Louisiana....what a nice big, confortable boat!!!
I'm thinking through the canal. That seems the safest for the boat. If we trucked it over, we have to take a lot of the bridge apart and I dont want to do that.

Magic34
09-13-2006, 04:09 PM
If was me, with a nice big boat like that, I'd probably keep it in Florida...
Yes, but the flight sucks! I could use this every weekend if I wanted.
Catalina doesn't get old does it? Also, I really like San Diego, so we could go down there too.
Florida is the sh*t when it comes to things to do on the boat. We used to take it down to Key West every year and over to the Bahamas as well. It would just be easier and cheaper as well if I could see the boat myself instead of paying someone else to check on it when we dont use it for months at a time.

Magic34
09-13-2006, 04:09 PM
If your serious about this give me a call. The guy with the slip next to us subleases his out because he keeps his boat in La Paz now. 65' slip in Newport 10 minutes from the airport.
Cool, call me.

INSman
09-13-2006, 04:10 PM
maybe you can park it at Kroozin's pad unitl you find something more permanent :)

Never Satisfied
09-13-2006, 04:18 PM
I'm thinking through the canal. That seems the safest for the boat. If we trucked it over, we have to take a lot of the bridge apart and I dont want to do that.
Plan on the boat getting the shit kicked out of it heading north if you take it around the canal!
Look into Yacht transports, I'm not sure where they are dropping them of nowadays though.

Magic34
09-13-2006, 04:20 PM
Plan on the boat getting the shit kicked out of it heading north if you take it around the canal!
Look into Yacht transports, I'm not sure where they are dropping them of nowadays though.
No, I want it on a ship and them bringing it to port.

Never Satisfied
09-13-2006, 04:23 PM
No, I want it on a ship and them bringing it to port.
OK I thought you were talking about bringing it over on it's own bottom. We did that and didn't have to much go wrong, only a Radar motor took a shit, but the boat took it good.

Magic34
09-13-2006, 04:24 PM
OK I thought you were talking about bringing it over on it's own bottom. We did that and didn't have to much go wrong, only a Radar motor took a shit, but the boat took it good.
How much for that sublease slip?

Never Satisfied
09-13-2006, 04:27 PM
How much for that sublease slip?
Does it freakin matter? If you want it in Newport you are gunna pay out the ass, but it's worth it. Your long distance so call me if you want the info. :crossx: I gotta dig up his number.

BajaMike
09-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Wow, Magic34.....I'd be nice to this guy..... :idea:
Sounds very cool..... :cool:
I heard you have to buy a $10,000,000 house on the water to get a slip in Newport Harbor!
My buddy with the 45' Searay on the Tickfaw takes it down to the Bahamas every summer for a month, I spent a week on it last summer.
The trip from Florida to Newport beach would be a hell of trip...if you need another captain, let me know....:D
:idea:
Not much to do in Catalina IMO.....Mexico would be fun!

Magic34
09-13-2006, 05:11 PM
I kind of know this guy. You know, one of those computer club friends.

BajaMike
09-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Does it freakin matter? If you want it in Newport you are gunna pay out the ass, but it's worth it. Your long distance so call me if you want the info. :crossx: I gotta dig up his number.
He sounds kinda irratable but I'd still be nice.....:D
:argue:

DILLIGAF
09-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Sounds very cool..... :cool:
I heard you have to buy a $10,000,000 house on the water to get a slip in Newport Harbor!
My buddy with the 45' Searay on the Tickfaw takes it down to the Bahamas every summer for a month, I spent a week on it last summer.
The trip from Florida to Newport beach would be a hell of trip...if you need another captain, let me know....:D
:idea:
Not much to do in Catalina IMO.....Mexico would be fun!
Are you talking about D.M. Mike?