PDA

View Full Version : Lemon Law... Update

UnionJack
09-13-2006, 03:28 PM
After acouple of call to Dodge Corp today, they shipped a NEW DODGE Cummins out of portland today, it should arrive by tuesday and I am hoping to pick up the truck Friday.

OutCole'd
09-13-2006, 03:35 PM
After acouple of call to Dodge Corp today, they shipped a NEW DODGE Cummins out of portland today, it should arrive by tuesday and I am hoping to pick up the truck Friday.
Sweet! can't ask much more than that.

Mod VP
09-13-2006, 04:37 PM
What year and model cummins,and why did you have to lemon law it??

HocusPocus
09-13-2006, 04:46 PM
thats great news.. did you actually bring up the lemon law or just keep talking to people until you got to someone willing to help?

RitcheyRch
09-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Excellent news

soupersonic
09-13-2006, 06:40 PM
Sweeeeeeeettt :)

Trailer Park Casanova
09-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Lemon law will cost the mfg 3 to 4 times the cost of just replaceing or refunding the vehicle.
It's good for boats and MoHo's and jet skis and Motorcycles too.
We went thru hell with Ford over several Mustangs the family bought about 3 years ago.
Ford products have to be the most Lemon law'd IMHO.
When the MFG starts nonsense, just call the LL lawyer, and let them handle it.
I'd believe the Cummins got shipped when the dealer calls and says it's in.
Best consumer protection legislation ever.

Second "PLACE"
09-13-2006, 08:05 PM
It all depends-
The California lemon Law (Known as the Song-Beverly act) is simple yet somewhat unclear to some. A vehicle that has had 3 UNSUCCESSFULL repair attempts at rectifying the SAME concern, or 30 days or more down for repairs in the shop are the most common, but not the ONLY reasons for Lemon Law litigation. Sometimes back order parts play a factor. Other claims are filed and are shot down because they do not meet the stated criteria.
70% of the time, these issues can be resolved at the dealership level, provided the factory engineers and the consumer agree to a resolution. (The dealer does not Build the car, therefore are limited to liablity on buy backs.)
Many times a trade assist gets the customer into a new vehicle, and keeps the consumer happy---and keeps brand loyalty.
Bottom line is that customer retention/satisfaction is key, and if there is a ligit reason to offer assistance, the factory will step up to help.

catman-do
09-13-2006, 08:34 PM
UJ- What problems where you having with it??? When I blew the motor on my 04 cummins a mo back daryl never said anything about yours having problems too.?.? Didnt you know some lady that works for the service dept in colton or something?

Trailer Park Casanova
09-14-2006, 03:50 AM
It all depends-
The California lemon Law (Known as the Song-Beverly act) is simple yet somewhat unclear to some. A vehicle that has had 3 UNSUCCESSFULL repair attempts at rectifying the SAME concern, or 30 days or more down for repairs in the shop are the most common, but not the ONLY reasons for Lemon Law litigation. Sometimes back order parts play a factor. Other claims are filed and are shot down because they do not meet the stated criteria.
70% of the time, these issues can be resolved at the dealership level, provided the factory engineers and the consumer agree to a resolution. (The dealer does not Build the car, therefore are limited to liablity on buy backs.)
Many times a trade assist gets the customer into a new vehicle, and keeps the consumer happy---and keeps brand loyalty.
Bottom line is that customer retention/satisfaction is key, and if there is a ligit reason to offer assistance, the factory will step up to help.
First thing the dealer may often do is offer a cash settlement way below what it would cost for a replacement.
Some people bite to get it over with.
They take the car and give you some $$ of what you got in it.
Then a few days later they'll sweeten the cash deal a few thou $$ more.
Ford hates giving a new replacement vehicle, they eventually want to buy you out.
They don't make it easy for them, so if you get the LL lawyer, usually if the lawyer writes a letter, and notifies the MFG as required, they'll settle.
The worst in settling is Dodge and Honda.
The best is GM.
We've never owned a good Ford vehicle, or a good experience with a Chrysler dealer.
I wouldn't be surprised if Ford is out of Business in the next decade.
It not like they haven't noticed quality cars are being imported and built domestically by foreign companies.
They can't be that dumb.

GoCiggie31
09-14-2006, 05:06 AM
It all depends-
I agree, usually if you get ahold of the right individual, the factory will do the right thing. If they don't it will cost them big money and maybe loose a customer.
By the way, a trade assist is not really legal technically in Ca and Fla. The affected vehicle MUST be branded so might as well call it a lemon law action. But, I guess the expense goes to a different line item-tradeassist vs lemon law. The who idea is to try and keep the customer in the product if it is not too late.
Wish you luck and make sure you file report with mfg to move things along

UnionJack
02-19-2007, 06:04 PM
well the truck just spent another week in the shop... So it is now time for the Lemon law... 10 months old and 60 days in the shop.... can you say Bye Bye

BajaMike
02-19-2007, 06:23 PM
well the truck just spent another week in the shop... So it is now time for the Lemon law... 10 months old and 60 days in the shop.... can you say Bye Bye
This has been going on since Sept???:confused:
Time for a lawyer......:idea:

UnionJack
02-19-2007, 06:27 PM
It's been fine for awhile but now it's acting funny

98 Vector 21
02-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Yep Its goodbye! I do the buybacks for Nissan & Infiniti.....

UnionJack
02-19-2007, 06:55 PM
We have an Infiniti (FX35) and that car is great except for the brakes always making noise when she backs the car up

Parker Dreamin
02-19-2007, 07:08 PM
I had trouble with a Chev. Tahoe a few years back. It would cut out on me and leave me stranded, towed back to the dealer, they could not figure it out but it would start running again. After the 3rd time in for the same issue I started raising hell.. they were not doing anything quick. I contacted the BBB and it was settled the next business day. They paid me back for every payment I made plus my down payment. Basicly had the Tahoe for free for 8 months. Sometimes the BBB can help if the company is in the wrong.

Hardly Satisfied
02-19-2007, 07:09 PM
congrats, glad to hear that someone else is not getting screwed over. hope this new truck has less problems than your old one

riverroyal
02-19-2007, 07:39 PM
quiet,I have alot to say............

UnionJack
02-19-2007, 07:45 PM
I am just going to get the same truck

Tom Brown
02-19-2007, 07:59 PM
I am just going to get the same truck
Are you following a union rule, or something?

UnionJack
02-19-2007, 09:00 PM
No... I just really like the truck, even with all the problems. I'm just worried that if I don't get it taken care of now the truck will continue to have problems

scarabrick2
02-20-2007, 07:14 AM
We have an Infiniti (FX35) and that car is great except for the brakes always making noise when she backs the car up
I got the same problem with the x's fx35. only squeeks when she backs out of teh driveway and in reverse. PM me what ever you find out and I'll do dthe same.

Tom Brown
02-20-2007, 07:27 AM
I got the same problem with the x's fx35. only squeeks when she backs out of teh driveway and in reverse. PM me what ever you find out and I'll do dthe same.
I think you're going to need an LL lawyer to handle that one.

Queenbee
02-20-2007, 08:27 AM
We bought an 05 Durango and the thing still stalls. Have had it since it was new and the dealer always says that since they can't get it to duplicate the problem, then they aren't liable.It's been frustrating and the service manager at our local dealer is a JERK!!!!:mad: I have actually left the shop in tears after talking to him. I called the owner of the dealer and he just forwarded the message right back to the service manager and never called me. So, we have learned to deal with it. We have had a few problems and I think it is just our car. I would buy another one in a heartbeat, but never from the same dealer!
It doesn't stall as often now but it is frustrating to buy a new car and get the same problems you would get if you have saved the $ and bought used. I'm glad you're getting some satisfaction!!!

UnionJack
02-20-2007, 08:37 AM
I heard it's because of the high performance brakes, whatever.... I sure a lambo or anything else thats high performance doesn't. But I love the car, so my wife just backs it into the garage

Tom Brown
02-20-2007, 08:45 AM
I sure a lambo or anything else thats high performance doesn't.
I'm sure they do.
If you go to a Formula 1 car race, it's embarrassing to hear the brakes squeal when they first leave the pits. It sounds like metal on metal scraping... like they're broken. Once hot, they are fine. Also, when the cars are running in anger, it would be tough hear a canon fire, never mind squeaky brakes.
Anyway, the point is any high performance brake is going to squeal when cold.

Not So Fast
02-20-2007, 08:51 AM
No... I just really like the truck, even with all the problems. I'm just worried that if I don't get it taken care of now the truck will continue to have problems
Lemme see if I understand this. You had trouble with a truck back in Sept and they gave you a new motor or truck, whatever. Now you are having more trouble and you are saying you will be happy with another truck of the same brand??? I just dont get it, why? :confused: NSF

UnionJack
02-20-2007, 08:59 AM
New motor in the dodge's this year, 6.7L cummins 350/650 with a 6 speed auto by isuzu. I just got a bad truck, the first week a brake line cracked and it was in the shop for a week, then the engine which it was in the shop 52 days, then a water pump failure and the heater broke and it was in the shop a week.

riverbound
02-20-2007, 09:03 AM
New motor in the dodge's this year, 6.7L cummins 350/650 with a 6 speed auto by isuzu. I just got a bad truck, the first week a brake line cracked and it was in the shop for a week, then the engine which it was in the shop 52 days, then a water pump failure and the heater broke and it was in the shop a week.
Are you getting the 6.7l? How do they handle transfering the lift and add ons??

voodooCanoe
02-20-2007, 09:06 AM
With emissions laws the way they are, how are they getting a vehicle from Oregon that is to be sold or licensed in Cali. ???
I know you can't buy a Oregon Car or truck new and license it in Cali.
Unless the laws have changed within the last year??:confused:

Jetaholic
02-20-2007, 09:11 AM
My parents bought a '90 Plymouth Grand Voyaged brand new. The thing has had nothing but problems and the dealer has not stood behind anything they said they would on it.
The first problem was the power steering system. At 20,000 miles both the pump and the rack & pinion went out. The dealer wanted $1,200 to fix it, and my dad was like "But it's only got 20,000 miles on it". And the dealer was like "Well you're not driving a brand new car anymore." My dad explained to him that out of all the cars he has ever owned in his life that he has never had to replace any power steering components ever. They finally got the dealer to cover parts and my parents payed for the labor, which was about $500.
Then at 68,000 miles, the transmission started acting up. It would slip out of gear at a dead stop, then hesitate and jump right back into gear upon acceleration. They had the 7 year/70,000 mile powertrain warranty on the van. The dealer told my dad it was the motor mounts causing it, which was complete BS. Of course at 85,000 miles the transmission completely went out and had to be replaced.
My dad would settle everytime he had to argue with the dealer and that is where him and I differ. I figure if I'm gonna drop down a bunch of cash on a new vehicle with warranties in the contract, the dealer better stand behind everything they have in writing.

UnionJack
02-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Are you getting the 6.7l? How do they handle transfering the lift and add ons??
Dodge will pay me back for them... I have to bring the receipts

UnionJack
02-20-2007, 09:23 AM
With emissions laws the way they are, how are they getting a vehicle from Oregon that is to be sold or licensed in Cali. ???
I know you can't buy a Oregon Car or truck new and license it in Cali.
Unless the laws have changed within the last year??:confused:
I heard that the border states will have to follow the emission laws and soon it will be a 50 state gig

Outnumbered
02-20-2007, 09:27 AM
We bought an 05 Durango and the thing still stalls. Have had it since it was new and the dealer always says that since they can't get it to duplicate the problem, then they aren't liable.It's been frustrating and the service manager at our local dealer is a JERK!!!!:mad: I have actually left the shop in tears after talking to him. I called the owner of the dealer and he just forwarded the message right back to the service manager and never called me. So, we have learned to deal with it. We have had a few problems and I think it is just our car. I would buy another one in a heartbeat, but never from the same dealer!
It doesn't stall as often now but it is frustrating to buy a new car and get the same problems you would get if you have saved the $ and bought used. I'm glad you're getting some satisfaction!!!
Take the truck to Redlands Dodge. When I lived there they had the best Dodge service department around. Ask for James Jameson (if he is still there this was 3-4 yerars ago). My 2004 Durango has been great.
I towed my Jeep from Vegas to Redlands to have them fix a seal leak on a lifted Jeep under warranty. The Henderson Jeep dealer told me they would not cover it. So the dealer makes all the difference.

UnionJack
02-20-2007, 10:00 AM
thanks for the info, I am happy with moss.... they're trying to get it done

Not So Fast
02-20-2007, 03:04 PM
You are much more tolerant than I would be thats for sure. Good luck! NSF

UnionJack
03-12-2007, 02:12 PM
So I decided to give my truck one last chance on saturday, and it starts leaking fuel, and a small fire breaks out under the truck, heavy white smoke just poors out the exhaust and the engine, and the temp stays at 230-240. So it is offically parked and Normantaylor and asso are moving forward. We started all the paperwork acouple weeks ago, so I hope in about 90 days she will be gone.

98 Vector 21
03-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Good luck with that!

Second "PLACE"
03-12-2007, 03:08 PM
UJ-
This should be an easy transaction, and is usually handled thru a 3rd party contact. Glad to hear that Moss has been cooperative-- Let us know when you get the new truck.
Many people get confused in the fact that the dealer and the manufacturer are SEPERATE. The dealer is usually indemnified in a Song/Beverley legal suit legally because the manufacturer is the one that built the vehicle, not the dealer.
Keep us informed!
second "PLACE"

Sigus
03-12-2007, 03:20 PM
We have a FX45, same deal with the brakes. Also on second engine. first one required us to drag an oil refinery behind us. Took one week to get the new engine. No problems since.
What year is your 35?

RiverRatMike
03-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Lemon law will cost the mfg 3 to 4 times the cost of just replaceing or refunding the vehicle.
It's good for boats and MoHo's and jet skis and Motorcycles too.
We went thru hell with Ford over several Mustangs the family bought about 3 years ago.
Ford products have to be the most Lemon law'd IMHO.
When the MFG starts nonsense, just call the LL lawyer, and let them handle it.
I'd believe the Cummins got shipped when the dealer calls and says it's in.
Best consumer protection legislation ever.
yeah and add all Bombardier products to the lemon law list!

UnionJack
03-13-2007, 10:08 AM
UJ-
This should be an easy transaction, and is usually handled thru a 3rd party contact. Glad to hear that Moss has been cooperative-- Let us know when you get the new truck.
Many people get confused in the fact that the dealer and the manufacturer are SEPERATE. The dealer is usually indemnified in a Song/Beverley legal suit legally because the manufacturer is the one that built the vehicle, not the dealer.
Keep us informed!
second "PLACE"
Wow you know lots

UnionJack
05-08-2007, 02:08 PM
I got the call today from normantaylor and they let me know that Dodge has agreed to buy the vehicle back, so I hope in acouple weeks to have a new ride..... Yes

RitcheyRch
05-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Excellent news
I got the call today from normantaylor and they let me know that Dodge has agreed to buy the vehicle back, so I hope in acouple weeks to have a new ride..... Yes

UnionJack
05-08-2007, 03:43 PM
thanks, that was post 6,666 for you.... scary:devil:

INSman
05-08-2007, 08:25 PM
By a GMC this time ;)

Havasu1
05-09-2007, 09:18 AM
That sounds like a slam dunk for the Lemon Law. I'm taking my 06 Ford F250 diesel in for its 5th main seal replacement (the last one lasted two weeks). My truck has only been in the shop a total of 18 days but I think I am going to start the Lemon Law option. I have been keeping all of my records. The funny thing is the service advisor at the dealer said that for redesigned the main seal a few times now and they keep leaking (The 6.0 seems to be a turd). He also said "they have taken a bunch of them back due to all the problems teh 6.0 has. I'm up in the air as to getting an attourney or going through the dealer/arbatration. I'm in Cali so I'm not sure which is the best way to go. I really would rather not go the route of a replacement vehicle since the new 6.4 is having issues of it's own. Plus they have to remove the cab for most issues.

UnionJack
05-09-2007, 10:57 AM
Use normantaylor.... but you have to make sure to stop bringing your truck in for service, norman taylor is in california, he wrote the lemon law, law for california

UnionJack
05-09-2007, 11:30 AM
awesome, I'm glad that I don't have to go to court

sorry dog
05-09-2007, 12:27 PM
I heard that the border states will have to follow the emission laws and soon it will be a 50 state gig
We don't even have inspections yet, so I don't see it happening near future.

UnionJack
06-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Done.... I signed the settlement today, time for a new truck

Chubby4Life
06-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Congrats. Taylor. What was the settlement? BTW, is your siggy pic from Big Cat last year?

RitcheyRch
06-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Excellent news.

CarBizIndio
06-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Dodge has been trying to fix there fuel problems on the CTD for years now. I've already spent $2300 on the fuel system to get it running right. These 6cyls sure have balls once they run good.

UnionJack
06-25-2007, 01:27 PM
Congrats. Taylor. What was the settlement? BTW, is your siggy pic from Big Cat last year?
the pic is from a weekend in havasu, got the call from norman taylor today, tomorrow @ 4:30 I turn in my 2006 Dodge, and Pick up my 2007 Dodge