PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Remove Tamper Proof Bolts?????

CMZRACING
09-13-2006, 03:33 PM
ran into a delema, the little tamper proof bolts that have the small hex head on them, and when you tighten them down, they get to a certain torque and that little head snaps off, so there is a smooth domed shaped bolt head....how do you remove these? center punch and drill? if wondering what its on, they are the small bolts that hold the ignition lock cylinder on the top triple tree of a motorcycle. im installing new raked triple trees and need to transfer the lock cylinder over to the new set. thanks guys.....beers are going down as we speak til i find a way to get this done tonight :rollside:

Froggystyle
09-13-2006, 03:41 PM
ran into a delema, the little tamper proof bolts that have the small hex head on them, and when you tighten them down, they get to a certain torque and that little head snaps off, so there is a smooth domed shaped bolt head....how do you remove these? center punch and drill? if wondering what its on, they are the small bolts that hold the ignition lock cylinder on the top triple tree of a motorcycle. im installing new raked triple trees and need to transfer the lock cylinder over to the new set. thanks guys.....beers are going down as we speak til i find a way to get this done tonight :rollside:
Two ways... one is a reverse drill that may do it on it's own. This isn't mandatory, but sometimes does the job all by itself. The second way is with an ez-out after the hole aforementioned is drilled.
Third way I just thought of is to epoxy a nut to the head of the bolt and use that to back it off. I have done that before with some success. Weld on a nut too. Make sure you prep your bolt first.

Cheap Thrills
09-13-2006, 03:45 PM
Drill and screw extractors. Or just drill them out completely. If they're hardened start off with the smallest bit and work your way up. Don't break the little bit you'll be cussing me later if you do. same thing with the extractors , those things are made of steel 10 times harder than any drillbit known to man. sometimes if you have room you can hit them with a chisle and hammer in reverse rotation an loosen them up enough to grab them with the vise grips. or
cut a slot in them with a hacksaw blade and use a screw driver. I could think of several knuckle buster methods but those should keep you entertained for an hour or so :D
C.T. :wink:

Big Kahunaa
09-13-2006, 03:54 PM
if you can get to them cut a slot in the top om them and use a scewdriver to get them out

moparjet
09-13-2006, 03:56 PM
air hammer baby.....bring it to work and ill get them out for you

racecar.hotshoe
09-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Napa sells scockets for them I know I HAVE SOME!

Norseman
09-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Drill and screw extractors. Don't break the little bit you'll be cussing me later if you do. same thing with the extractors , those things are made of steel 10 times harder than any drillbit known to man. sometimes if you have room you can hit them with a chisle and hammer in reverse rotation an loosen them up enough
C.T
The chisel and hammer method is what you do to get the broken extractor out of the hole you drilled, unless of course you broke off the drill bit first!! :220v:

Cheap Thrills
09-13-2006, 04:46 PM
The chisel and hammer method is what you do to get the broken extractor out of the hole you drilled, unless of course you broke off the drill bit first!! :220v:
Yep that's usually the last resort. When all else fails , Beat the shit out of it with a hammer :D
C.T. :wink:

Chico&Zeus
09-13-2006, 04:47 PM
I've used a dremel tool to cut a slot and then a BF Screwdriver....sometimes you need to put an adjustable wrench on the shank of the screwdriver to get enough torque.

ThongMagnet
09-13-2006, 11:01 PM
I've used a dremel tool to cut a slot and then a BF Screwdriver....sometimes you need to put an adjustable wrench on the shank of the screwdriver to get enough torque.
We have a winner!!!!!

wsuwrhr
09-14-2006, 12:03 AM
Pretty much my opinion, buy the time you need an extractor you are much better off just going to a Laser or EDM guy.
Brian

timebomb1
09-14-2006, 12:35 AM
There called hi-loks, we use the all the time in aviation. Do a search for "hi-lok removal tools" Gary.

RitcheyRch
09-14-2006, 04:07 AM
We have a winner.
There called hi-loks, we use the all the time in aviation. Do a search for "hi-lok removal tools" Gary.

Beer-30
09-14-2006, 04:23 AM
You mean tamper-proof torx, like this?
http://www.mytoolstore.com/sk/tmtorxbt.jpg