PDA

View Full Version : Video Of Flash Gordon That Day

IMPATIENT 1
09-13-2006, 08:11 PM
http://media.putfile.com/Flash-Gordon-hours-before-the-wreck
some of you guys might have herd we had a major accident on one of my area lakes recently.this is a video of one of the boat involved a few hrs. before the accident. some guys from the taylor club cut some shots of the video into stills and you could see everyone in the boat was smilin and havin a great day on the lake.i hear about these kinda accidents all the time but this one was so close to home and 5 people died as a result of some type of major mechanical failure in one boat.

kraig
09-13-2006, 08:19 PM
Good god that seems kinda close don't it? Wonder what would have happened if that failure would have happed at that EXACT time of that video shoot??????? :cry:

IMPATIENT 1
09-13-2006, 08:25 PM
Good god that seems kinda close don't it? Wonder what would have happened if that failure would have happed at that EXACT time of that video shoot??????? :cry:
i was thinkin the same, dude likes to run alittle to close for my comfort

eek-a-RAT
09-13-2006, 08:30 PM
i have to download quicktime to watch, damn apple computers tryin to ruin everything.

Second "PLACE"
09-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Way to close for my comfort. :220v:

Run_em_Hard
09-13-2006, 08:37 PM
That would have scared the shit out of me, coming that close. That was 15ft at the most.

MBlaster
09-13-2006, 09:11 PM
That vid gave me the chills.

thumbs
09-13-2006, 09:16 PM
Not even cool close. If that was a PWC at 1/4 the speed everyone would be saying what and idiot. These things should be banned.
It will be interesting to see everyones take on this.

yomama
09-13-2006, 09:19 PM
I just don't get it.......those kinds of speeds that close to other boats??????? There's absolutely no room for error. Any kind of mechanical failure, be it motor, drive, steering........instant stage left..or right. :frown:

beerjet
09-13-2006, 09:41 PM
No one deserves to die . I dont think driving that close would justify it it any way . Hot doggin is best left to the pros . Very tragic . :frown:
-beerjet-

sleekcraft137
09-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Wow, i would say he was a little to close for my comfort, but DAMN those jet motors sounded cool rippin by. Pretty scary knowing what happened a few hours after that vid was shot.

Chromegorilla
09-13-2006, 10:18 PM
I don't care what anyone says, that was extremely wreckless operation. Sad he has passed on, but nobody, especially the event organizer, should blow by non participants in that manner. that was wayy wrong.

Danhercules
09-14-2006, 04:54 AM
i have to download quicktime to watch, damn apple computers tryin to ruin everything.
No problem on my Mac! HEHEHEHEHE! :p
By the way, remember how safe those big boats are at any speed? Its only dangerous when you go fast in a small boat. At least thats what I read on ***boat, so it must be true!! :crossx:

superdave013
09-14-2006, 05:26 AM
No one deserves to die . I dont think driving that close would justify it it any way . Hot doggin is best left to the pros . Very tragic . :frown:
-beerjet-
Read up on that guy. He was a pro. Made his living racing something all his life. Not hardly a rookie by any means. Just goes to show you that even the pros sometimes use bad judement. To bad others had to pay the price along with him.

x7734x
09-14-2006, 05:36 AM
Way too close for comfort.

jeffroe
09-14-2006, 06:33 AM
makes you wonder if he was comfortable running those speeds that close to a couple of boats sitting still (thats a huge ticket on my lakes) in his mind that didn't seem reckless, but later an accident killing 5 people makes you wonder.
p.s. i don't care if you'r the best race driver in the world running that close at speed off the track is bullshit!!! :mad:

code8
09-14-2006, 06:45 AM
How fast are the boats running in the poker runs? I've read somewhere above 100 mph. Anyone have any numbers? Just curious, it seems like poker runs are run like races. Are there any rules regarding distance between other boats. Seems like there should be a "safe zone" between the boats/racers.
-Anthony

olbiezer
09-14-2006, 06:53 AM
flash gordon's web sight says the boat goes 165 mph..... :)

code8
09-14-2006, 07:00 AM
165MPH! That's fast. I thought I was haul-n at 55mph it my jet at the river. :cry:

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
09-14-2006, 08:02 AM
That crash kind of opened my eyes to what can go wrong in an instant, my friends and me have run 5 feet apart @ 60mph, but no more! We have learned our lesson without crashing.When you are cruising along it just does not seem dangerous,I guess that is what he thought? I hope everybody will take notice of this tragedy. BIG JOE

Fire Water
09-14-2006, 08:47 AM
There's no excuse for the way that boat was being operated. The only justification for that close a pass would have been for photos, and if that were the case then only the essential crew should have been on board both vessels. That obviously was not what was being shown.
On another note. It's my understanding that this boat was used for hire. One article I've seen quoted $300.00 for 30 minutes. If it was, then a US Coast Gaurd Licensed Captain would have had to be on board and in command. Yes the laws do apply even on inland lakes, remember the glass bottom boat that sank a few years back on Lake of the Ozarks. Gordon might have had a license, don't know. Here on the coast the USCG enforcess maritime law. I'm not sure who was in charge of inforcement on Lake Texoma. I have held a CG license for several years, and I'm sure that if the CG had seen me operate a vessell in the manner that Gordon was I could have kissed my license good-bye.

jeffroe
09-14-2006, 01:59 PM
did the driver of flash gordon live?

spectras only
09-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Unfortunately these videos will be noticed by the underwriters and we'll pay the price. There's a guy here with a 36 Nortech with tw Ilmors using the river, infested with logs [ ripped my drive off buy a submerged log there only going 30+ last september ] to get to the ocean to play . Never seen the boat going less than a hundred there .I would baby it if it was my rig until I get to safer and larger body of waters .See other boats like Baja , Velocity , Fountain etc.....there . Usually keep my speed below 30 just staying on plain until I reach the ocean were it's a lot safer . Few ins companies thrown the towel in already in the past ,because of serious accidents on the water ,and I'm not looking towards that day when I won't be able to insure a boat . In our poker runs it's the same , the fast guys gun it like it's a race [ everybody says it's not a race ,but the adrenalin takes over :p ] ,but trying to stay far apart ,and so far we didn't have an incident for the past ten years :cool: .

dmontzsta
09-14-2006, 02:05 PM
I was watching Cops last night and the undercover cop had a shirt that was white with orange lettering, it said FLASH GORDON with a thunderbolt and some other designs they didnt pan down to show.

4trax
09-14-2006, 02:46 PM
I guess I'm alittle dangerous then. I wouldn't have a problem shooting that video if I knew if that's what I was to do and knew it was coming. But I guess that's how I got my nickname (PSYCHO) By driving and doing crazy shit. I've toned er down since then I realized I'm not invincible anymore and nobdy else is either. Just tryin to be honest guys and gals. :crossx:

beerjet
09-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Read up on that guy. He was a pro. Made his living racing something all his life. Not hardly a rookie by any means. Just goes to show you that even the pros sometimes use bad judement. To bad others had to pay the price along with him.
I stand corrected and what an interesting parradox the end turned out to be .
-beerjet-

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-15-2006, 06:58 AM
Wow, I wouldnt want to be next to a boat at those speeds, especially filming!

Bense468
09-15-2006, 11:07 AM
I remember watching him as a kid. I am not going to speculate on what happened here. I do know that 2 boats running side by side with passengers at those speeds should not be done PERIOD. Too many people doing it these days. A little different then drag racing or even off shore racing where both parties know what they are getting into.
I have the same feelings about Robby Gorden at glamis. He drives too close to camps and ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN real quick. So what your a pro...doesn't mean shit to the victims.
Its a sad deal and I'm sorry for the victims in this accident.

Jet Hydro
09-15-2006, 06:38 PM
I find it funny the way you-all look at stuff here on Hot Boat!
Ok now from a pro racers point of view
Gordon was on a race track and doing his own thing if you are shooting a video you are doing your own thing. Who`s in the wrong here???? YOU are my friends.
Would you stand on the train tracks to video a train????
Racing side by side is not for the weak at heart. Would I do it with some one else in the boat/ car??? Yes, as long as they knew that they are in a danger zone at all times!
I have to take my oldest girl for a pass in my drag car so she know`s how to drive it. She is 16 and has been running Jr Dragsters but now she`s taking over my door slammer and has to make a pass with me so she knows how it feels and what goes on during that pass. Am I in the wrong for having a passinger or should I just step out and let her hit 600hp for the first time and hope she dont freek out???
If she wanted to race the boat I would do the same thing!
Now for racing to close to others....
Get the Fuc* off the track you stupid SOB`s.... Get a real camera and take your pictures and video from a safe distance...
OK I`m done....
BTW....Anyone want to buy a Jet Hydro????
Yes, it`s now for sale! Will run 9`s!

El Prosecutor
09-15-2006, 07:03 PM
http://media.putfile.com/Flash-Gordon-hours-before-the-wreck
some of you guys might have herd we had a major accident on one of my area lakes recently.this is a video of one of the boat involved a few hrs. before the accident. some guys from the taylor club cut some shots of the video into stills and you could see everyone in the boat was smilin and havin a great day on the lake.i hear about these kinda accidents all the time but this one was so close to home and 5 people died as a result of some type of major mechanical failure in one boat.
Just watched it. Knowing what happened it is Eerie seeing all the people in the boat just cruise on by. May God give comfort to their families and make all of us a little safer having heard about their loss.

RACER J
09-15-2006, 07:54 PM
Gordon was on a race track and doing his own thing if you are shooting a video you are doing your own thing. Who`s in the wrong here???? YOU are my friends.
Racing side by side is not for the weak at heart. Would I do it with some one else in the boat/ car??? Yes, as long as they knew that they are in a danger zone at all times!
I have to take my oldest girl for a pass in my drag car so she know`s how to drive it. She is 16 and has been running Jr Dragsters but now she`s taking over my door slammer and has to make a pass with me so she knows how it feels and what goes on during that pass. Am I in the wrong for having a passinger or should I just step out and let her hit 600hp for the first time and hope she dont freek out???
Get the Fuc* off the track you stupid SOB`s.... Get a real camera and take your pictures and video from a safe distance...
OK I`m done....
Sounds like you run IHRA because NHRA would never let a passenger in a car running quicker than 14sec.. My first pass in a drag car was 11.75 and I have worked my way down to 8.77@155mph. Seems like a lot better way to do it.

Rexone
09-16-2006, 02:24 AM
Well by the tone of this thread my opinion won't mesh well but here goes. :)
In ski racing we run side by side sometimes for miles 15-20 feet apart. Hell I've been in situations where you could reach out and touch the next boat just about. That's racin. Circle boats do the same thing. Those 2 boats weren't that close together. I see boats doing the same thing all the time at the river.
As far as the video guys who's to say they didn't position themselves as close to the known path as possible to get good shots (likely the case imo). Jeeze, a lot of speculation here. You can see stuff a lot scarier than that on any given weekend at most any crowded lake. Being around and involved in fast boating is inherently dangerous by nature. Sometimes mechanical failures occur and shit happens.
I was in a ski race once back in the 80's, front strightaway speeds, typical close racing about 70 probably. Key fell out of rudder on boat I was in. We hooked a sharp right into the boat next to us. Took the whole side of the boat out including gas tank about a foot behind the driver to the transom. A few feet different one direction or the other someone could have easily died, the driver of the boat we hit, his observer, my driver, me, or any combination including skiers who might have been next to our boat. As it was the impact sent me straight up in the air and I landed behind the other boat. It was a fortunate day. The events on Lake Texoma are an example of something similar with much less fortunate results. When mechanical failures happen at speed stuff happens real fast and being a pro driver or not many times has no bearing on the results.
My point to this whole thing is if you're involved in fast boating its inherently dangerous. Every boat carrying passengers going high speeds is potentially on a death ride if something fails mechanically. The folks involved normally know (or should be made aware) of this prior to going boating. Including the guy edging up to the course to get good shots of these known fast boats. Safety equipment is good protection but in collision situations offers little benefit when contact between boats occurs.
My opinion after watching the video is that he knew (the video guy) where the boats were going to pass (other boats lining the course as well). This is common in many racing events (spectator boats lining the course as close as they can possibly get). Case in point: Catalina ski race... Big boats going 80-90+ inside the breakwater side by side, not far apart, spectator boats only a few feet off the course. Something breaks in that situation you got a potentially deadly event. It's all part of racing and/or going fast. It by nature draws people close to share the thrill. And imo isn't necessarily bad driving in the video situation.

MudPumper
09-16-2006, 04:00 AM
I think it's funny everybody commenting on running so close together yet we all do it at 80mph, every day on the Freeway, 3 feet away from cars on both sides of us. :crossx:

kingcole80
09-16-2006, 04:19 AM
on the road water or sand track theres just no room for human or mech, error when your that close, we just do think about it when we are right there that the guy next to us might just take us out, i thought about thiswhile driving to work yesterday watching people talkin on the cel, eating scary LOL

superdave013
09-16-2006, 05:05 AM
OK I`m done....
Well to bad that was NOT a race. Poker runs are held on public water ways, not closed race courses.

IMPATIENT 1
09-16-2006, 05:19 AM
Well to bad that was NOT a race. Poker runs are held on public water ways, not closed race courses.
i have to have with ya superdave. texoma is not a controlled race track environment by no means. i don't know about you guys, but i've had lake lice,pontoons,ski boats pull rite out in frt. of me during a race, most of which have been bouy marked. i turned to avoid by at least 50ft., i know my boat hooks bad at speed if i lost power, i've been there done that.

spectras only
09-16-2006, 07:49 AM
Ditto ! I'm sure if Bill Muncey was still with us ,he would agree. I've been at the Seattle hydro races many times and noone was allowed to be past the logs. Some of today's recreational boats are doing the same or even faster speeds at times than those old school hydro boats. Just like at the Discovery Bay incident ,there is just not enough room to roam .

burtandnancy
09-16-2006, 08:32 AM
Mike, how do you explain the impact on both boats, looks like each had damage in the cockpit area. Its going to be quite a mystery. One witness reportedly said they were approaching one another head-on.
I remember the ski incident...

Rexone
09-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Mike, how do you explain the impact on both boats, looks like each had damage in the cockpit area. Its going to be quite a mystery. One witness reportedly said they were approaching one another head-on.
I remember the ski incident...
Burt I think only God knows what happened. I've seen all the pics and it's really hard to second guess (accident sequence of events) after boats have been salvaged, drug on the beach upside down etc etc. It was an unfortunate event and timing. Had either boat been a few feet either direction it would have probably never happened. Even if the mechanical cause is determined (likely it will be or has been) I think your question above will be difficult if not impossible to answer.
-----------
Further, imo I would not matter if it were 30-40 feet as it appears in the video or 50-100 feet behind some bouys, if steering fails on a boat traveling at that speed and you're the unfortunate one to be in it's path you will be taken out. A boat going 100 mph + doesn't stop well in 100 feet unless it rolls and flips possibly. So what is a "safe" distance and who should mandate and enforce it? The state gov? And who should get the ticket when some video guy gets overzelous for a good shot and gets too close to a known course (sanctioned race or known poker run course), the video guy or the boat operator? More regulations for boaters? A law perhaps indicating a boat at xx speed will not approach another boat at xx distance? And who's got the tape measure? After all in many cases we can't even apply a noise law measurement properly with a boat sitting still at a dock. Questions to ponder.

Jet Hydro
09-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Sounds like you run IHRA because NHRA would never let a passenger in a car running quicker than 14sec.. My first pass in a drag car was 11.75 and I have worked my way down to 8.77@155mph. Seems like a lot better way to do it.
Sorry but I run with NHRA.. Among other`s

Jet Hydro
09-16-2006, 02:44 PM
Dave that was a race courses and I don't care how you look at it!!!
May not have been a (((closed race courses))) but it was a race courses as you see all the other boats on the side lines. Everyone there knew what was going on and that's why they were out there with the video camera`s. Duhhhhhh
When I`m out at the lake floating around and I see 2 boats lined up I start my boat and get out of the way as I`v seen enough boat crashes I don't want to be in one. Some people like to get as close as they can (stupid YES) But that`s the way it is.
The pro`s with camera`s know the dangers and they get their thrill from doing their job like we do from our racing.
These people just lining up along a course to get a better view of what's going on and don't understand or care of the danger`s they put everyone in.
Danger is part of the game of racing and if you get in the game you are "in danger"
Closed race courses or Open race courses they all knew!
Said all I`m gonna say about this as it`s really a no brainer!

Jbb
09-16-2006, 03:19 PM
Burt I think only God knows what happened. I've seen all the pics and it's really hard to second guess (accident sequence of events) after boats have been salvaged, drug on the beach upside down etc etc. It was an unfortunate event and timing. Had either boat been a few feet either direction it would have probably never happened. Even if the mechanical cause is determined (likely it will be or has been) I think your question above will be difficult if not impossible to answer.
-----------
Further, imo I would not matter if it were 30-40 feet as it appears in the video or 50-100 feet behind some bouys, if steering fails on a boat traveling at that speed and you're the unfortunate one to be in it's path you will be taken out. A boat going 100 mph + doesn't stop well in 100 feet unless it rolls and flips possibly. So what is a "safe" distance and who should mandate and enforce it? The state gov? And who should get the ticket when some video guy gets overzelous for a good shot and gets too close to a known course (sanctioned race or known poker run course), the video guy or the boat operator? More regulations for boaters? A law perhaps indicating a boat at xx speed will not approach another boat at xx distance? And who's got the tape measure? After all in many cases we can't even apply a noise law measurement properly with a boat sitting still at a dock. Questions to ponder.
Someone knows what happened ...Its my understanding that there is video of the crash...

IMPATIENT 1
09-16-2006, 04:14 PM
Someone knows what happened ...Its my understanding that there is video of the crash...
i've herd the same but i can't find it.really not sure if i'd want to watch it if i did, might turn me offa boats.

4trax
09-18-2006, 06:31 AM
In ski racing we run side by side sometimes for miles 15-20 feet apart. Hell I've been in situations where you could reach out and touch the next boat just about. That's racin. Circle boats do the same thing. Those 2 boats weren't that close together. I see boats doing the same thing all the time at the river.
As far as the video guys who's to say they didn't position themselves as close to the known path as possible to get good shots (likely the case imo). Jeeze, a lot of speculation here. You can see stuff a lot scarier than that on any given weekend at most any crowded lake. Being around and involved in fast boating is inherently dangerous by nature. Sometimes mechanical failures occur and shit happens.
I was in a ski race once back in the 80's, front strightaway speeds, typical close racing about 70 probably. Key fell out of rudder on boat I was in. We hooked a sharp right into the boat next to us. Took the whole side of the boat out including gas tank about a foot behind the driver to the transom. A few feet different one direction or the other someone could have easily died, the driver of the boat we hit, his observer, my driver, me, or any combination including skiers who might have been next to our boat. As it was the impact sent me straight up in the air and I landed behind the other boat. It was a fortunate day. The events on Lake Texoma are an example of something similar with much less fortunate results. When mechanical failures happen at speed stuff happens real fast and being a pro driver or not many times has no bearing on the results.
My point to this whole thing is if you're involved in fast boating its inherently dangerous. Every boat carrying passengers going high speeds is potentially on a death ride if something fails mechanically. The folks involved normally know (or should be made aware) of this prior to going boating. Including the guy edging up to the course to get good shots of these known fast boats. Safety equipment is good protection but in collision situations offers little benefit when contact between boats occurs.
My opinion after watching the video is that he knew (the video guy) where the boats were going to pass (other boats lining the course as well). This is common in many racing events (spectator boats lining the course as close as they can possibly get). Case in point: Catalina ski race... Big boats going 80-90+ inside the breakwater side by side, not far apart, spectator boats only a few feet off the course. Something breaks in that situation you got a potentially deadly event. It's all part of racing and/or going fast. It by nature draws people close to share the thrill. And imo isn't necessarily bad driving in the video situation. EAXACTLY, I agree with you 100%

4trax
09-18-2006, 06:33 AM
My opinion after watching the video is that he knew (the video guy) where the boats were going to pass (other boats lining the course as well). This is common in many racing events (spectator boats lining the course as close as they can possibly get). Case in point: Catalina ski race... Big boats going 80-90+ inside the breakwater side by side, not far apart, spectator boats only a few feet off the course. Something breaks in that situation you got a potentially deadly event. It's all part of racing and/or going fast. It by nature draws people close to share the thrill. And imo isn't necessarily bad driving in the video situation. EXACTLY, I agree with you 100%

spectras only
09-18-2006, 09:17 AM
JBB , I could see two ragboats in the video that might trouble the investigators. Never seen sailboats mingle with powerboats going 100+ casually on a race course .So what was this run in this video ? Hope this tragic event isn't going to stop poker runs as we know it.