PDA

View Full Version : Fast Cruiser's

VD CRUISER
12-24-2001, 08:20 AM
Hello all, new poster here. Been into V Drives forever,5 flats,2 daycruisers.Currently own a 1983, 21 Howard.540ci,1071 Mooneyham,2 1050's, Superchiller,48% in the Casale, 2 blade Menkins 12X16 steel and 11.25X16 SS. Anyone out there trying to make these type boats go fast? Like to here what hull/engine/setup you're using.

Riptide01
12-24-2001, 09:43 AM
Hey Cruiser,
My Dad has a 1978 19 foot cheyenne mini cruiser. Running a Chev. 427 with Gale Banks twin-turbo and inter-cooler. Powers through a modified turbo 400 to a Casale v-drive.
Boat still has the 8-track player that was all the rage in 78..
I will work on getting some shots and post them.

boatguy222
12-24-2001, 09:54 AM
VD
I have a 20'and 21' Schiada crusiers, three speeds with v-drives, 500ci injected engine in the 20'er and 540 aspirated engine in the 21'. sounds like your ride is pretty fast now, what do you need to know?
Marc

Jetboatguru
12-24-2001, 09:55 AM
Fast Cruiser, do you have any C500 gears laying around? I have a 21 foot Daytona Daycruiser with a 550 twin turbo chevy. Using a 12x 15 prop. I need gears.

VD CRUISER
12-24-2001, 12:30 PM
Boatguy, I was curious about things like shaft angle, strut placement, engine placement,prop size and type. These things can get a little squirrely when you add a lot of power. I've tried a lot of different stuff and seem to have a pretty good hanldle on it now,but theres always room for improvement,

VD CRUISER
12-24-2001, 12:39 PM
Jetboatguru, No C500 gears, we use a split case. How does the turbo engine work, pretty reliable ? Do you use a 2 or 3 blade prop? How does it handle at speed?

spectras only
12-24-2001, 01:06 PM
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/leonards66vette.jpg VD cruiser,does it look familiar? 427 casale v-drive 400 turbo tranny

boatguy222
12-24-2001, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by VD CRUISER:
Boatguy, I was curious about things like shaft angle, strut placement, engine placement,prop size and type. These things can get a little squirrely when you add a lot of power. I've tried a lot of different stuff and seem to have a pretty good hanldle on it now,but theres always room for improvement,
VD Cruiser
We are running a 7 1/2 degree strut angle, the strut is where schiada places them 21" from the transom, if my memory serves me correctly. Engine placement is 19 to 24" forward, as per Schiada
Your Howard is wider that the Schiada, do you know who did the set up on it? how is the boat acting? Does it want to do the same thing every time or is it always different?
Which way does it go right or left, or does it want to hunt from side to side?
I think your prop is about the right size, We are running an 11 1/2 X 16. Who has been doing your prop work? You may need to have your prop tweeked a little to get a handle on it you want.
JetBoatguru
What size gears are you looking for? for your c-500, I may have some 20%, I Might part with, I know that a new set is $750 from Casale.
Marc

Jetboatguru
12-24-2001, 04:04 PM
VD cruiser and Boatguy, I am running 15's and they are way to short. The engine will run up to 7500 with them. I am running a three blade Teague propellor. The boat up at speed is loose and will try to steer left slightly. I am trying to locate gears up in the 33 range, but I don't even know if they would be the correct gear. The engine will make 18 lbs of boost. The boat is not real heavy. The engine seems to be reliable as I don't really beat it to death. It makes it's peak torque at 4800-5200 (1052 ft lbs)

VD CRUISER
12-24-2001, 08:41 PM
Boatguy, I did the setup on it this time after I lost a propeller blade and messed up the bottom some. I changed the strut angle to 7 1/2 deg. from 9 deg. and moved it forward 6 1/2 in. to 23 1/2 from the transom. This caused the V Drive to locate 13 in. further forward. It handles much better now and usually takes a set like a flatbottom, but it doesn't always do the same thing. If i hold the plate down a little it runs steady without any porpoise or chine walk. If I let the plate up all the way it porpoises a little but it's faster. Sounds like our setups are close. How does yours handle at speed. Thanks for the input.
Jetboat,
Sounds like you need to move way up on the gears to take advantage of that big torque . That thing must really be cookin at 7500 RPM even with with 15's .

VD CRUISER
12-24-2001, 08:53 PM
Spectra,
Looks real familiar. Nice ride.

Jetboatguru
12-24-2001, 09:32 PM
VD cruiser, It hangs the nose and runs like a Flat. What size gears do you recommend?
850hp and 1050torque

boatguy222
12-24-2001, 10:40 PM
VD cruiser,
Sounds like you have moved things around a ton. Have you talk to Howard about were they set thing at? It sounds like you are close. Does your boat stay on the tail at speed?
You might try going down in Diameter in prop size. 11 1/2 in steel, might do wonders.
The Schiada runs well, When It starts to catch the air the ride is smooth, kinda like being on a cloud, for as fast as you can stand it!
JetBoat,
You are going to need some 39% gears. John Sofilos at Unlimited Marine 650-343-3262 emailed me last week with a price of $572.50 for a NEW set, sounds like a deal to me.
Marc

VD CRUISER
12-24-2001, 10:44 PM
Jetboat,
I don't know much about turbo motors ,but it sounds like you are operating way above your maximum torque rpm. 41% gears would pull your motor down to about 6100 rpm for the same prop rpm you have now. At the lower rpm you should be making more torque than at 7500, so your engine rpm will most likely be above 6100, therefore increasing your prop rpm. 50% gears would bring engine rpm down approx, 300 more. These gears should increase your top speed, but may hurt your acceleration, but it should be minimal if your boat is light and your engine is operating in a higher torque range. Higher gears also help carry the bow better. I run 48% gears and turn the motor about 6200 with 12x16 two blade Menkins. This is in good air,(October), at sea level.

Jetboatguru
12-24-2001, 10:49 PM
boat Guy and VD cruiser, thank you both for the help. I will call John on Weds. This should help a ton. I would hate to have to buy another set of gears$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Where do you guys run?

VD CRUISER
12-24-2001, 11:17 PM
Boatguy,
I talked to Phil Bergeron, and he talked to Howard when he was building the strut for me a couple of years ago. Yes it sits on the tail really well when I use the 11 1/4x16 stainless. It doesn't want to settle down as well with the 12x16, Top speed is about the same with both props, acceleration is better with the 12x16. I was thinking about trying a 11 3/4x16 with a little different rake and then maybe cutting it down to a 11 1/2. I like the "cloud" feeling. Before I made the changes I never thought it would be possible. By the way I have a friend here that has a 21' Schiada with a blown 540,used to belong to my brother. It's not handling quite right yet , but we're working on it. It seems to ride smoother than my Howard.

boatguy222
12-25-2001, 11:32 AM
VD Crusier
Phil Knows his stuff, We have been doing business with him for 30+ years.
If you can borrow a prop with a smaller diameter, and see what happens, before you cut yours, It is real hard to make it bigger again, once it is cut down.
I think that your stainless prop flexes alot more that the steel prop, is one of the reasons the steel prop gets with the program better. I am not a big fan of Stainless props they want to break under high horsepower. There is nothing worse that a broken propeller!!!!
Marc

VD CRUISER
12-27-2001, 07:09 AM
Boatguy,
I've had to deal with broken props 3 times if memory serves me right,it makes a big mess. Thats why I'm getting away from the stainless now. Do you guys ski race or just lake race. Have you seen one of Coles 22' Superhawks, or Nighthawks with a V drive?

superdave013
12-27-2001, 07:20 AM
VD, I have seen a Cole V-drive Cruiser. I don't know what kind of hawk it was but it looked to be in the 21 foot range. It ran pretty good too.
I, myself have a 20' Schiada that is in the project stage. I'm posting updates on my very slow progress on Havasu Barny's site. Here is the link. http://www.havasubarney.com/cgi-bin/mb2/ikonboard.cgi?s=3c2b3b117e5b8db5;act=ST;f=5;t=234; hl=project+schiada
Feel free to take a look and add your comments.

boatguy222
12-27-2001, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by VD CRUISER:
Boatguy,
I've had to deal with broken props 3 times if memory serves me right,it makes a big mess. Thats why I'm getting away from the stainless now. Do you guys ski race or just lake race. Have you seen one of Coles 22' Superhawks, or Nighthawks with a V drive?
VD,
We are just lake racers. and are pretty much old school. I seen the Cole in Hot Boat several years ago, But mostly we are Schiada Guys. Who is doing your prop work? You Might want to talk to Harold Kindsvater, He knows his stuff, although I did here he was going to retire, and the shop was for sale. I need to call him and find out whats going on.
Marc

VD CRUISER
12-29-2001, 01:39 PM
Boatguy,
Dallas, at Menkins Props does the work on the props, but mostly we make changes when we get a new prop. We just lake race here to. In this area we have 4 blown cruisers, 3Howards,1 Schiada and 1 unblown Howard, We do OK against the jets and most of outboards,but an Allison Drag outboard smoked us the last time we were out. That thing was very light and he would only run us for a 1/4 mile. Is there much difference in the speed of your 20' and 21'? Which do you like best? Do you have full interiors in them?

boatguy222
12-29-2001, 04:18 PM
VD
We had some bad experences with Dallas, had to fine someone more reliable,
our boats do have full interiors, the 20'er we bought in April and we are now doing a complete re rig on it, I am not sure what the power is going to be yet, it is a "work in progress"
The 20' runs alot more like a flattbottom the the 21', it rides a lot higher in the water, and you don't get quite the "cloud" feeling you have with the 21', but it is much quicker, but it is not as good in the big water.
You need to have a couple of your buddies chop up the water for you before you run that Allision, to see what the 300 lbs boat will do in the big water, It is pretty hard to get a cruiser up and going in 1/4 mile.
Marc

pgf127rt
12-29-2001, 06:15 PM
VD Cruiser, you gotta be careful picking on those outboards, down here in Texas we have some bad out boards who like to pick on boats they know they can outrun, my solution is if they out run the slug, I just put the Hondo Flat in the water and watch them go some where else to play.

VD CRUISER
12-29-2001, 07:01 PM
pgf127rt,
Good idea, I just happen to have a buddy with a hondo flat. He was there but didn't have the flat with him, maybe next time.

DMB
01-09-2002, 07:16 PM
wt