PDA

View Full Version : what would you have said?

seanv
09-14-2006, 10:07 AM
i just helped a customer with a hitch for his truck. he asked what drop would he need. when i asked what he was pulling he said he was looking at a 32v speed boat that would hold 10+ people and do 80mph. i asked him if this was to be his first boat and his reply was oh yeah i've been out watching them drive around and want one. he's never driven one, has never been on one and is looking to run 80 with 10 people??? wow. i explained he may want to get with a friend first and spend some time learnnig about boats and driving them before taking the leap. was i wrong??? i did this with a "nice" voice not arrogant or anything...

Cole Trickle
09-14-2006, 10:10 AM
You did the right thing. :)
I don't care how much money you have if you plan on piloting a boat by yourself you need to start smaller with much less power.
Who knows maybe you just saved someones life?

Cheap Thrills
09-14-2006, 10:10 AM
I would have said the same thing except I would have said it in the most arrogant sarcastic way, after the hitch was installed and the bill was paid :D
C.T. :wink:

superdave013
09-14-2006, 10:13 AM
you should have told him to not be a focking cheepskin and buck up for the 110 MPH option! :rolleyes:

lucky
09-14-2006, 10:15 AM
you should have told him to not be a focking cheepskin and buck up for the 110 MPH option! :rolleyes:
yea , what he said :) Morning Dave

RitcheyRch
09-14-2006, 10:21 AM
You did the right thing.

Jordy
09-14-2006, 10:29 AM
You should have asked him where he plans on spending most of his time so the rest of us can stay away!!
Or watch from shore and take pictures and video!!!! Good luck with all that. Should be a hoot at the docks and ramps as well. :D

seanv
09-14-2006, 10:32 AM
i started with the 45-50mph jet boat and moved up to a 31cat over a long period of time. after telling him that his reply was. well, i can afford a bigger one so....
gotta love some people :crossx:

RiverDave
09-14-2006, 10:33 AM
I think you did the right thing, and I know it can be awkward when your saying it, but I almost wonder if you should've said more?
Perhaps brought up certain fatalities you know of, and how dangerous it can actually be?
RD

Biglue
09-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Should have suggested him go with a Derebery blown motor. You make a sale, he doesn't get his feelings hurt. :crossx:

Jordy
09-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Perhaps brought up certain fatalities you know of, and how dangerous it can actually be?
RD
Hey RD,
The most recent Cig incident in Havi aside, everyone knows that only cats are dangerous and this guy is buying a v-hull. He'll be just fine!!! :notam: :D

78 challenger
09-14-2006, 10:39 AM
i just helped a customer with a hitch for his truck. he asked what drop would he need. when i asked what he was pulling he said he was looking at a 32v speed boat that would hold 10+ people and do 80mph. i asked him if this was to be his first boat and his reply was oh yeah i've been out watching them drive around and want one. he's never driven one, has never been on one and is looking to run 80 with 10 people??? wow. i explained he may want to get with a friend first and spend some time learnnig about boats and driving them before taking the leap. was i wrong??? i did this with a "nice" voice not arrogant or anything...
Sounds like 85% of the people on Havasu.

QuickJet
09-14-2006, 10:52 AM
I would of said "cool", got him his hitch and sent him on his way. People that ignorant aren't going to listen to anything others have to say anyway :rolleyes:

Howie Feltersnatch
09-14-2006, 11:36 AM
I would have said the same thing except I would have said it in the most arrogant sarcastic way, after the hitch was installed and the bill was paid :D
C.T. :wink:
HAHAHA!!! :crossx: :crossx:

racecar.hotshoe
09-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Well Im glad he has alot of money cause he will need it.Those heli rides to hospitial cost alot.But you said the right thing.........Well done.

Tom Brown
09-14-2006, 11:58 AM
I would have said, "click here (http://www.tridentcustomboats.com/) "

Tom Brown
09-14-2006, 11:59 AM
Should have suggested him go with a Derebery blown motor. You make a sale, he doesn't get his feelings hurt. :crossx:
lmao! :D

Schiada76
09-14-2006, 12:24 PM
That right there is funny!
Lue, Looks like we will be at the river the 15th for the Schiada Notta Regatta.
If the bugs are outa my setup we can go for a litle putt. :crossx:

Ziggy
09-14-2006, 01:11 PM
I would have said more and charged 3x for the hitch since he can afford more.
Depending but I may have asked him some basic questions about boating, launching and etiquette. If he is clueless then some direct comments would have been made by me....or maybe something along the lines of "get your hitch elsewhere cuz I don't want to be responsible for you taking your first ever high powered boat on the water." I have little patience for arrogence.

Tom Brown
09-14-2006, 01:15 PM
I have little patience for arrogence.
You're a BMW dealer. http://www.CarlsonSpeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/eh.gif

wsuwrhr
09-15-2006, 01:48 PM
Don't worry, when he wrecks the boat, his lawyer will sue you for putting a hitch on his truck.
Brian

Big Warlock
09-15-2006, 02:03 PM
you did the right thing and still were politically correct!

Froggystyle
09-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Was he driving an H1 or a Range Rover?

seanv
09-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Was he driving an H1 or a Range Rover?
neither...just a dodge :rolleyes:

Froggystyle
09-17-2006, 08:47 AM
Oh. Sounds like the next boat I am building. I figured he got the size wrong or something.
To answer your question, "What would you have said?" I would have said the following...
"What kind of training are you going to get on the boat?" and act as if he should have known about it.
My client would have told you that the manufacturer is coming out for a week straight to teach him how to drive his new boat safely, trailer it, tow it, park it, anchor it, beach it, pull skiers, train other drivers etc... And is going to stay until he is someone I would want to be on the water with him.
He is in the Peoria area too... thought it was a funny coincidence.

sleekcraft137
09-17-2006, 08:57 AM
You should have told him that there's a great place called "Site 6" that he can launch at, but don't mind the crowd pointing, laughing and taking pics. :crossx:

boatnam2
09-17-2006, 09:00 AM
i would of said great enjoy havasu,but never go to parker the boat is to big and fast for there!