PDA

View Full Version : V-Drive go boom!

dmontzsta
07-27-2003, 11:23 AM
Well...as I mentioned before, the damn thing kept popping out of gear and busted the coupler. So after putting a new coupler on and tightening everything back down, we hit the lake and were probably doing about 45mph when (grrrrreeeee) it popped into neutral just like before. Only this time, it would not go back into drive, it just popped back out. So after a jet ski with a freakin jet stream raining on us for about 10-15 minutes pulling us from one side of the lake to the other we got it back. Now time to take the drive apart and survey the damage. frown

Moneypitt
07-27-2003, 11:35 AM
Don't feel alone!! I went to castaic yesterday, and experienced some of the same, except I was able to limp back to the ramp. I had the lever adjusted tight to hold it in, but it kept trying to jump out, kinda like an early ford 3 speed with a bad cluster gear, I now know I need a drive dog set for an aero marine v drive. Come on all you pack rats out there, someones got to have one of these old v drives sitting in their garage. I could also use some 19 or 26 gears. I know someone replaced their aero with something modern, there is over 6000 members here, please allow me to help you clean out your garage of this old junk....Moneypitt

dmontzsta
07-27-2003, 11:53 AM
Sucks man, I am glad that you know what it is, cause now I know...(if they are the same)

v-drive
07-27-2003, 01:04 PM
Bummer D. Well call Casale and see if they can still get one for you. It might burn your wallet but atleast you will be in business....v-drive

dmontzsta
07-27-2003, 01:19 PM
yeah, right now I think I was to fix this old top loader.
BTW: Pulling the manifolds off tommorrow (FOR SURE) got me a set now and getting ready to slap them off, I will get in contact with you this week about the block plates.

63stevens
07-27-2003, 02:31 PM
If there is any good in this situation it's now you get to take it apart and figure out how it works. That way if it ever happens again you will know how to fix it.

DansBlown73Nordic
07-27-2003, 03:41 PM
Trust me you don't have to be a rocket scientice to take one apart. I did a Top Loader and a C-500 long before I ever found this forum. So far they are both still working like a charm.
I even made a shifter fork because I had no clue where to find one. That also is still working great... :D
I bought all my bearings and seals at a local bearing supply house.

DansBlown73Nordic
07-27-2003, 03:44 PM
After reading your post again I would bet your shifter fork broke.
The reason mine broke is because the last guy thought you were supposed to rev the motor and then pop it into gear.... eek! eek!
I should finish the story. I remove the seats that cover the v-drive. I find all this carpet padding covering the V-Drive.So I call the guy I bought it from to see what the deal is.
He says it makes a little noise so I just covered it up. :p
So the very first time out. I run the boat about an hour. It pops out of gear. So I get towed. I pull the gear box to find nothing but water inside. eek!
[ July 27, 2003, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Dans66Stevens ]

Rexone
07-27-2003, 06:34 PM
As said above probably a broken fork or the dog itself. It it's a top loader I think they were the older 2 dog design (not positive). They don't like shifting as well as the later 3-dogs in the split cases and wear out easily. Probably an easy fix as long as nothing else is damaged. :)

Boatski
07-27-2003, 07:13 PM
Sorry to hear about your broken V-Drive. Give Steve McElroy A call at (714) 903-1553. He just might be able to help you. Good luck......

GofastRacer
07-27-2003, 08:00 PM
Rexone:
As said above probably a broken fork or the dog itself. It it's a top loader I think they were the older 2 dog design (not positive). They don't like shifting as well as the later 3-dogs in the split cases and wear out easily. Probably an easy fix as long as nothing else is damaged. :) You're right, a top loader has a 2 dog dealio with a wide receiving slot which will allow it to go in gear when the motor is running but over time it also rounds off one side of the dogs until there is no area left to keep it in gear!. I had one of those that did that!.. :rolleyes:

Moneypitt
07-27-2003, 08:28 PM
Yes, I've talked to steve before. As of now, (unemployed) I'm on a very limited budget, very limited. That's why I was trying to find an aero unit under someones bench in the garage. I'm still trying!! NEED V DRIVE PIECES, WILL TRAVEL....Moneypitt

dmontzsta
07-27-2003, 09:00 PM
This is a top loader and will only start in gear, you cannot shift it while the motor is running. How stout are these cases? anybody know if they can actually handle power and some nice gears? also what are the gears available? Thinking of swapping them...

DansBlown73Nordic
07-28-2003, 01:42 PM
They must be pretty strong. I saw one used in a pulling tractor over the weekend. the guy was running two Blown Hemi's through a top loader box.... eek!