PDA

View Full Version : Home Heating Questions???????

spectratoad
09-14-2006, 10:33 AM
I have a chance to buy a new furnace that goes in the attic and dump the old one that sits in the hall closet.
Has anyone here done the conversion of setting one in the attic of an older (1984) home and what should I be prepared to do?
These furnaces are currently set up for Natural Gas. What is involved in switching over to propane and what is the cost of this?
Thanks, Todd :)

spectratoad
09-14-2006, 12:59 PM
Anyone???? :boxed:

centerhill condor
09-14-2006, 01:40 PM
did it about ten years ago...switched from electric furnace in the closet to natural gas in the attic... no big deal. simply run the big ducts from the closet to the hole in the closet ceiling. the rest of it is as simple. You'll have condensate piping and what not. switching from propane to gas (or other way) is simply a jetting change. this is a bit of an oversimplification. hope this helps. made a huge difference on my old log cabin.

centerhill condor
09-14-2006, 01:41 PM
I'd install a humidifier.

Tom Brown
09-14-2006, 01:45 PM
... switching from propane to gas (or other way) is simply a jetting change.
I've been out of the game for a decade but, in my day (I love saying that. :D), most NG gas valves weren't rated for propane. Also, NG is lighter than air while propane is heavier than air. This may have an implication on the ease of the conversion as not all burner styles lend themselves equally well to both fuels.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-14-2006, 04:13 PM
Anyone???? :boxed:
Sorry I didn't chime in sooner, my work computer is read only, websense blocked.
Ya wanna do the job to building code or your homeowners insurance won't cover any losses if it catches on fire, or floods causing water damage, or goes apeshit and fills the house with Carbon Monoxide. It happens.
In many areas an inspection and permit is required too, or no Home Owners Insurance payoff if it causes any damage.
You can have the propane company guy do the conversion, it's always been free when I've asked them on my jobs.
It's alot of work if you're going to do it to code:
Ya can't just run sheet metal straps to suspend it, at least not out here, it all has to be approved hangers where I work.
Ya gotta re-route the gas line, Freon lines if you have A/c ,, a drip pan drain lines, the electrical, ya gotta have adequate access to get to it and around it, ya gotta have a lite,,, the exhaust pipe has to properly routed, control line too.
Then,, the duct work,, supply and return, and many units now require combustion air intake duct as well.
It might be easier to just change out your closet unit.
I've installed zillions of Consolated brand horizontal units, made by a consortium of Carrier, Rheem, Lennox Whirlpool,, and they were awsum, except they easily caught on fire killing everyone.
Thank heaven none of my installations caught fire. TPC dodged a big bullet, as did my customers.
But I had to go back with retrofits to cure the hazard.
I'd stay with the closet unit,, and easy replacement, service,, and all the rest.

spectratoad
09-15-2006, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will check with our city inspector on the code stuff.
I was going to place it on a platform in my attic just like we do on the houses we build at work.
TPC, I keep leaning towards a direct replacement too. Thanks for the info.

LLGirl
09-15-2006, 05:34 AM
everyone will have opinions of their own. As an HVAC contractor, I would say that the only benefit to relocating is if you absolutely need the extra space where the furnace sits now. If not, it isn't worth the added expense. A furnace changeout is a simple thing. A location change gets costly when done correctly. If it's just because you can get a free horizontal furnace, may want to rethink. You'll have more labor involved to relocate than what you save in material costs. Again, everyone will have an opinion, this is mine. Good luck with your project.
mrllgirl

spectratoad
09-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks LLgirl. the furnace isn't free it is just a good price from one of my subs.
I don't absolutely need the space but just thought it would be a good upgrade as well as gain some space in the house. The current furnace is probably over 20 years old and I am sure an upgrade would save me some money. Especially with not having to pay for gas on a pilot light.