PDA

View Full Version : New Jetter

Elkidminoltu
09-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Hey all, I'm new to the forums and site here and so far things look great! I've been lurking for a few weeks now trying to get information on a jet boat I am looking at. I'll give you what I know about the boat and post pics later.
What I know:
21' 197? Kona Makai Jet Boat
V-hull I guess
455 390hp motor
Berkely Pump
Dual tandom axle trailer
Been sitting in a backyard in Napa Valley for 14 years.
Most of the interior is missing.
It's rough to say the least. The gel coat on the upper side of the boat is worn away. The glitter finish is starting to vanish too. The hull looks good, it isn't bowed from sitting on the trailer. The pump is also very clean with all controls and levers working properly too.
The intake manifold has surface rust on it and the secondary pump arm on the carb is rusted solid. Exhaust manifolds and valve covers look great though. Motor can be turned over with a wrench.
Couple questions:
What kind of carb is used on these motors? It has the choke coming out of the intake mani and looks like fuel is deliverd dead center in the front.
Is there a temporary carb I can put on there to see if the motor starts?
Do I have to attemp starting in water or can I try out of water?
My biggest qualm at the moment is the motor. I have to figure out if it is salvageable or not. In two weeks I go back to pull valve covers, water neck, carb and other various parts to determine if the motor is junk or not. Any ideas?
Any info on Kona's or helpful ideas or general anything is welcome!
Thank you,
Dave

FOURQ
09-14-2006, 02:52 PM
unless its free i would keep walking..

SmokinLowriderSS
09-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Cool find, I like projects.
Personally, I'd dissasemble the engine, and rebuild it. That way you KNOW it's not got any issues. you also can make sure the RPM mods an olds should have are done, and done correctly. Olds' like to fill the valve covers up with oil when spun very fast, sooner or later, the pan runs dry. :cry: You can picture the next. :cry: :cry: :cry:
I suspect most of these old jets wore Holley carbs, and probably NOT marine (mine wasn't). If it's a mechanical seccondary, I'll bet it's a 4150 model. Give us the "list" number off of the choke horn, it'll tell ya the size CFM. If there's a largish diaphram pot on the left (as you are looking at the engine from the front) rear corner, it's a vaccume seccondary. Better mileage normally, somewhat less max performance usually.
http://www.mortec.com/carbs.htm
Take the HIN (hull ID number) here and you can find out how to read it. The last 2 numbers should be the year of mfr.
http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic_database.htm
Maybe some folks here will have some pix of others so you can do an orriginal style interior, or heck, just strike out on your own to what suits you.
Personally, I'd re-gel the top, but it is not cheap, and VERY labor intense when the sanding comes. Thank gawd for Black & Decker. See the thread or 2 in the How To section. :) It IS tougher, more durable than paint.
Oh, and a hearty "Welcome" too. :) :)

SmokinLowriderSS
09-14-2006, 03:20 PM
unless its free i would keep walking..
Hmmm yea. I guess I missed the part where he HADN'T BOUGHT IT YET. Damn, Eyes need checked I guess. LOL
I would pass it too, unless the price was VERY right (like free) or you just have about Oh..... 8 grand or so you want to spend making a very personal boat.

'75 Miller
09-14-2006, 04:29 PM
I believe the carb you described is a Quadrajet. My 1975 Miller came w/ a bone-stock Quadrajet equipped 455. The 455 took a crap on me & is being replaced with a big block Chevy, but I still have the carb if you want it.
From what I've been told running a jet out of water is a no-no. The wear ring inside the pump can be damaged. However, if all you wanna do is see if she'll start you should be fine, just don't run it for more than a few seconds.
Matt

Elkidminoltu
09-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Thanks for all the responses, like I said it all helps. I'm on my home computer now so I'll post the pics I took.
Smokin - I'll use all that info in the buying process. I have a good feeling that the motor is trashed and I don't have the resources here to pull it out, rebuild it, and put it back in. :lightsabe If I were back in IL, it would be a no brainer.
Hrrm, this is dissappointing. I guess I can make some calls and see if someone at work could let me comandeer thier garage/driveway for a weekend to pull the motor.
Oh and I almost forgot the price. He wants a grand. I'm thinking less, like about half.
Miller - Please hang onto that carb, I may need it depending on how this goes. I have a couple weeks yet. :)

centerhill condor
09-14-2006, 05:06 PM
welcome aboard...chances are the boat hasn't been sitting for 14 years because it was a runnin' mofo! You know the fuel tanks are full of the worst kind of garbage stale fuel with water with rust with God knows what even if they were drained, etc...If the carb is rusted tight then the engine is likely also. 3 out of 4 jetters agree.. just walk on by.
but if you feel you must...and we've agreed that you should let it go...see if the engine will turn by hand. also, pull the dipstick and see what kind of goo is on it.. this alone should discourage even the bravest boy scout from getting involved with the old lady wanting to cross the street.
my boat cost $5500 and runs great nice interior...needs new top paint but hey its gonna get dirty on the water right? jets exist because they're cheap and relatively easy to fix...me thinks you can do better...unless they're paying you to take it.

Elkidminoltu
09-14-2006, 05:06 PM
More Pics
Oh and I forgot, when it was put away, the motor had 50 hrs on it.
It does turn with a wrench too.
I was afraid that the rings had rusted to the walls, but she turned like any normal motor. Bad valve springs would be the least of my problems at the moment. :p

FOURQ
09-14-2006, 05:49 PM
well after looking at your pics i still say walk on by... the only thing that may have been anygood on this project is junk ( the pump) its an insert pump i would stay as far as i could from one of those....but hey what do i know I have only been playing with jet boats since i was born...

hallettman
09-14-2006, 05:55 PM
dont stop man! just keep on walkin thats alot of work

Elkidminoltu
09-14-2006, 06:05 PM
Could you please school me on an insert pump?

malcolm
09-14-2006, 06:07 PM
Looks like a JE pump, not the best performer. Olds engine, red headed step child of the jet boating world. Besides that it looks like a lot of work! :D
Don't buy it unless you can afford to rebuild the engine and pump and get it painted. It will need it all soon enough. 50 hours could be all the Olds had in it if it wasn't taken care of. If the guy wants so much for it, tell him to get it running and you'll come back. ;)
Yeah, I think I'd walk too.
But hey, if you like it and it's cheap, go for it. You can always cut it up and sell off the pieces on Ebay. :boxed:

455Rocket
09-14-2006, 06:18 PM
With what you have to put into that thing you could by a SANO jet today... I made that mistake once already.

gforceauto
09-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Dont Build One !!!!! Buy One Lake Ready For 2500.00
Just A Quick Rundown On My Build Cost
Paint 3500.00
Motor 8000.00
Interior 3500.00
Pump 1200.00
Cables , Ect, Ect Ect,
And It Took Me 2 Years

Elkidminoltu
09-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Well, thank you for helping me not make a REALLY bad decision. I was almost pretty set on it seeing that it was all mostly there. I think your right that I should wait and buy a lake ready boat.
The premisis for all this was I moved here for a Co-op until December and I recently went up to Tahoe and wanted to be out there more than anything. I figured I could pick-up a jet boat for cheap, get it running and spend a month or two cruising tahoe, washoe and a few other lakes. :cool: Plus, I have an 80 El Camino SS that is recieving a BB once I get home. She needs a companion. :p I've always envisioned the car towing a boat, especially a jet boat. Wanted one since I was a kid.
I'll wait until a REAL screamin deal comes along or I get home. I won't be dissapearing though, I have a thirst for knowledge on all jet-boats.
***boat rocks!
Dave

Turboelimtim
09-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Dave,
Keep looking! Did you try boat trader? I sold a 74 19 ft Hallett bubble deck with a 454 chevy, Jaccuzi WJ :yuk: that was in great shape and gave me years of dependable and fun use for $4300. I don't think you would have been able to get that thing into nearly as good of shape for ~$4000. This is a good time to be looking for a jet (gas prices and end of summer), you should be able to do much better than that. Don't give up. Also, ask lots of questions on this board about pumps/engines/hulls/etc. There is obviously a wealth of knowledge here. Good luck! Tim

beerjet
09-14-2006, 07:05 PM
I was recently talked out of doing a project like this and they were right . Picked up the orange one for under 5k , turnkey. The blue one for just over 4k And have put most of that back in it and is now turnkey. Look around before you dumping a large amount of money in it .
-beerjet-

rerfert
09-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Dont Build One !!!!! Buy One Lake Ready For 2500.00
Just A Quick Rundown On My Build Cost
Paint 3500.00
Motor 8000.00
Interior 3500.00
Pump 1200.00
Cables , Ect, Ect Ect,
And It Took Me 2 Years
In his case ($16.500) BUT you can put a boat together for a lot less money...in your case with the boat in question.
Paint 150.00 if you scuff and clear the top only for now.
Motor 500.00 from a wrecking yard/car lot (lots of them around with the gas situation?)
Interior 1000.00 locally in AZ for a nice job.
Pump 1200.00 No clue on that basic rebuild? could be $700-$1000-??
Cables , Ect, Ect Ect, Figure cables and some guages on EBAY for $100.
Flush fuel tanks $50 and lots of your labor.
Tires $150 on sale at a local tire shop
Title and registration $200
== $3500+ And Your Labor??
You can get into a turn key lake ready boat for about $4000
Here is an example :)
http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=123159
Shameless plug for my boat but like I said,Here is an example :)

Elkidminoltu
09-14-2006, 08:04 PM
LOL the plug was well placed. Your correct about me doing the work myself. I have previous body work/fiberglass experience and know my way around motors and various other mechanical items so doing the work wouldn't really be that much of a problem. Plus, I have NOTHING to do on weekends so investing my time into a project was no biggy either.
Fear not, I am not giving up! I'll be on the look-out for another one, unless this guy absolutely drops this boat into my lap. As far as style goes, I love the shape and lines of the Kona, at least the 21ftr with the dual tandem axle trailer. I'd get the boat for the hull alone and go from there once I had the money.
Looks like 20ft or above is more along the lines of what I will be keeping my eye out for. :sqeyes:

rerfert
09-14-2006, 08:19 PM
As far as style goes, I love the shape and lines of the Kona, at least the 21ftr with the dual tandem axle trailer. I'd get the boat for the hull alone and go from there once I had the money.
My first jet was a 1973 Kona 18 1/2 foot (call it a 19 foot) Great first boat, I sold it for $3700 lake ready.
http://www.yumaduners.com/albums/album41/jet_boat.jpg
Looks like 20ft or above is more along the lines of what I will be keeping my eye out for.
The 1979 Omega I have now is a 21 foot and does ride smoother than my old 19 foot Kona.
A vintage Kona would be a cool ride :) and for FREE should really be rescued

centerhill condor
09-15-2006, 03:37 AM
oh well you've been warned. I was on COOP in NJ...those Jersey gals liked a suthern boy just fine...one of them Yankee girls followed me all the way back to college!
We're all for you getting a boat..especially a jet! but our youthful enthusiasm has been tempered by experience. These 30 year old jets with the Olds are gas and parts hogs. The have quite a bit of brand loyalty as do horses.
Your money would be better saved for tuition, room & board, and beer money. You have the skills and can get all the projects you want after you graduate, get a job, and a home with a garage.
Enjoy this time in your life young man...soon enough you'll be like the rest of us..deadlines and committments, what to leave in and what to leave out.
You've made some good decisions about school and your future. Don't get in a rush...stay focused..and don't get those girls all "knocked up"... :rollside:even once!

Elkidminoltu
09-15-2006, 07:46 AM
oh well you've been warned. I was on COOP in NJ...those Jersey gals liked a suthern boy just fine...one of them Yankee girls followed me all the way back to college!
We're all for you getting a boat..especially a jet! but our youthful enthusiasm has been tempered by experience. These 30 year old jets with the Olds are gas and parts hogs. The have quite a bit of brand loyalty as do horses.
Your money would be better saved for tuition, room & board, and beer money. You have the skills and can get all the projects you want after you graduate, get a job, and a home with a garage.
Enjoy this time in your life young man...soon enough you'll be like the rest of us..deadlines and committments, what to leave in and what to leave out.
You've made some good decisions about school and your future. Don't get in a rush...stay focused..and don't get those girls all "knocked up"... :rollside:even once!
Wow! Thank you for the positive comments. What you explained is definately my goal. I'm a jr now so I am not far off from the daily grind so to say. My g/f and I have been together for almost four years now and she supports my hobbies and interests, which is a big plus to me. We both support each other in the fact that education comes first, marriage, cars, frivilous items and such can be put on hold until our schooling is finished. And NO kids for me until I am married, have a good financial backgroud, a house and I get my "youthful enthusiams" out of my system. :D
I'm not giving up hope though, I'll still go look at the Kona again and see how badly the guy wants to get rid of it. I'm not going to accept any offer unless it's way low. He inherited the boat, hasn't done a single thing to it (except tear the interior out), and wants way to much. I'm thinking he should pass it on (i.e. free) to a poor 20yr old college student (making $15 an hour) who will make it the vintage classic it is! (and I will) :wink:

455Rocket
09-15-2006, 02:59 PM
Wow! Thank you for the positive comments. What you explained is definately my goal. I'm a jr now so I am not far off from the daily grind so to say. My g/f and I have been together for almost four years now and she supports my hobbies and interests, which is a big plus to me. We both support each other in the fact that education comes first, marriage, cars, frivilous items and such can be put on hold until our schooling is finished. And NO kids for me until I am married, have a good financial backgroud, a house and I get my "youthful enthusiams" out of my system. :D
I'm not giving up hope though, I'll still go look at the Kona again and see how badly the guy wants to get rid of it. I'm not going to accept any offer unless it's way low. He inherited the boat, hasn't done a single thing to it (except tear the interior out), and wants way to much. I'm thinking he should pass it on (i.e. free) to a poor 20yr old college student (making $15 an hour) who will make it the vintage classic it is! (and I will) :wink:
I had a boat through High School and graduated w/ honors, and I'm still in College and gonna graduate Cum-Laude. Paid for everything myself worked my rear off the whole way... It's the ol' work hard/play hard thing... In the future I don't see enough free time to enjoy what I do now, so I'm gonna make it worth it! Get a boat and enjoy it... don't work on it.

Elkidminoltu
09-15-2006, 05:36 PM
That's the plan! I've been through the whole DIY section twice already and this forum here has lots of good information too.
If the boat isn't free, then I'll just wait for a done one and go from there. Tweak it to my style.
I am loving ***boat.com though, I just discovered the pasties! LOL! I also wish I had a boat by now cause I would so be at the Rrx5 meet that weekend. Oh well, there's always the rest of my life. :rollside: