PDA

View Full Version : Watch those tips...

JB in so cal
09-14-2006, 03:01 PM
http://www.aero-news.net/images/content/military/2006/MV-22-aerial-refueling-0906a.jpg
http://www.aero-news.net/images/content/military/2006/MV-22-aerial-refueling-0906b.jpg

Cheap Thrills
09-14-2006, 03:04 PM
What a set of props ! :eek: Thats bound to be a VTOL of sorts . What is it ?
C.T. :wink:

uvindex
09-14-2006, 03:08 PM
What a set of props ! :eek: Thats bound to be a VTOL of sorts . What is it ?
C.T. :wink:I believe it's an Osprey. :)

JB in so cal
09-14-2006, 03:09 PM
V-22. Been in development for, like 15 years. I think there's about 5 or 6 in active duty so far in north carolina. originally a few hundred were planned, but that's been scaled way back.
The V-22 Osprey is a tiltrotor vertical/short takeoff and landing (VSTOL), multi-mission air-craft developed to fill multi-Service combat operational requirements. The MV-22 will replace the current Marine Corps assault helicopters in the medium lift category (CH-46E and CH-53D), contributing to the dominant maneuver of the Marine landing force, as well as supporting focused logistics in the days following commencement of an amphibious operation. The Air Force variant, the CV-22, will replace the MH-53J and MH-60G and augment the MC-130 fleet in the USSOCOM Special Operations mission. The Air Force requires the CV-22 to provide a long-range VTOL insertion and extraction capability. The tiltrotor design combines the vertical flight capabilities of a helicopter with the speed and range of a turboprop airplane and permits aerial refueling and world-wide self deployment.
Two 6150 shaft horsepower turboshaft engines each drive a 38 ft diameter, 3-bladed proprotor. The proprotors are connected to each other by interconnect shafting which maintains proprotor synchronization and provides single engine power to both proprotors in the event of an engine failure. The engines and flight controls are controlled by a triply redundant digital fly-by-wire system.

Ziggy
09-14-2006, 03:10 PM
Where are the outer sections of wings?

JB in so cal
09-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Where are the outer sections of wings?
that's all there is. The wings rotate to allow for vertical landing and takeoff; once airborne the wings rotate again and it goes into horizontal, plane-like flight. almost 300 knots and much more range than a heavy lift chopper.
just veeeeeerrrrryyyy expensive.

JB in so cal
09-14-2006, 03:14 PM
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/osprey-conversion.jpg

HOSS
09-14-2006, 03:19 PM
I thought this project was now 86`ed. Deemed useless and dangerous.

JB in so cal
09-14-2006, 03:21 PM
resurrected. after the bad crash (like 30 dead), they made changes to software and took another swing at it.
It's only money, right?

JustMVG
09-14-2006, 03:21 PM
But it could be put to good use as the ultimate Sandbar Blender, just need to find on old watertower to put the booze in and get a couple of icebergs to drop in and voila instant 400 gallon Margaritas!!!

RitcheyRch
09-14-2006, 04:01 PM
Not sure if they are still producing them since they have had numerous problems with it.
V-22. Been in development for, like 15 years. I think there's about 5 or 6 in active duty so far in north carolina. originally a few hundred were planned, but that's been scaled way back.
The V-22 Osprey is a tiltrotor vertical/short takeoff and landing (VSTOL), multi-mission air-craft developed to fill multi-Service combat operational requirements. The MV-22 will replace the current Marine Corps assault helicopters in the medium lift category (CH-46E and CH-53D), contributing to the dominant maneuver of the Marine landing force, as well as supporting focused logistics in the days following commencement of an amphibious operation. The Air Force variant, the CV-22, will replace the MH-53J and MH-60G and augment the MC-130 fleet in the USSOCOM Special Operations mission. The Air Force requires the CV-22 to provide a long-range VTOL insertion and extraction capability. The tiltrotor design combines the vertical flight capabilities of a helicopter with the speed and range of a turboprop airplane and permits aerial refueling and world-wide self deployment.
Two 6150 shaft horsepower turboshaft engines each drive a 38 ft diameter, 3-bladed proprotor. The proprotors are connected to each other by interconnect shafting which maintains proprotor synchronization and provides single engine power to both proprotors in the event of an engine failure. The engines and flight controls are controlled by a triply redundant digital fly-by-wire system.

JB in so cal
09-14-2006, 04:16 PM
this is the second time around for this plane. kinda like the original b-1a. when dick cheney (i think) was dec of defense during bush 41, he cancelled the program.

gfinch
09-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Wow, a few months ago I heard a different sounding low flying plane. Walked out of my shop and saw one of these, flying LOW over San Luis Obispo, Ca. Didn't know what it was but guessed correctly.

Beer-30
09-14-2006, 07:44 PM
I saw one or possibly two last month. One was over Buttonwillow race park at about 500' off the deck. Trippy.
Then, the next day, (probably the same one) was shooting the ILS into Bakersfield. Engines were at about 45 degrees on final. They must be testing them again.