PDA

View Full Version : Strut Bushing Materials

Brewer
07-19-2001, 12:59 PM
Getting ready to replace the strut bushing in my boat. Noticed that two different materials are offered (at least through Rex)
1) Fiber & rubber
2) Trellex Morse Brass Rubber
Anybody have experience with either of these?
Cureent propshaft speed is 7200. Thanks in advance

Dimarco Kid
07-19-2001, 06:22 PM
I've always used the "aqua-lube" strut bearings, they are what Dimarco used when my boat was new and they are what I use now. I get them thru Glen-L. If want the nitty-gritty scoop, call Ron Braaksma. He'll definately sell you the best one out there, whether it's Aqua-lube or not. His number is in the back of Hot Boat mag, and Drag Boat review. If you can't find it, let me know, I have it in my number book.
Dimarco Kid

DetroitJim
07-20-2001, 05:05 AM
You definitely need the fiber bushing. It keeps the shaft in alignment better and will last much longer. I change mine every 2 years when they have about 0.060 slop. The ones I get from CP or Rex are about 3 1/2 inches long, I saw them in half and use a half piece at the front and rear of the strut, and in the shaft log. The one up front must be water cooled or it will fry and destroy everything.
Jim

superdave013
07-20-2001, 08:22 AM
I agree with Jim. They are very cheep too. Have fun changing them.

spectras only
07-20-2001, 08:22 AM
Fiber bushing what I use.Lasts forever.

07-20-2001, 09:36 AM
As I understand it the fiber bushings is for clear water and the rubber is for high silt water. The rubber cushons and absorbs the small particles of silt to prevent shaft wear.

Brewer
07-23-2001, 08:38 AM
Thanks guys! Looks like I get to have my fiber after all!

DetroitJim
07-23-2001, 05:14 PM
I found that the easiest way to get fiber strut bushings out is to use a hacksaw blade to cut a groove through the bushing. Then it pops out easy. I also took a piece of galvanized pipe about a foot long and cut one end of it on an angle. Then I use it as a drift to pound out the bushing.
Jim

spectras only
07-23-2001, 05:39 PM
I use a reciprocating saw [2 minutes total]making two cuts and the two halfs just fall out.

Brewer
07-24-2001, 08:38 AM
Good thing i'm a procrastinator, as I have not removed the old ones yet. Thanks DetroitJim and Spectras Only for the removal tips, I will be using them!

Dave
07-26-2001, 11:39 AM
Brewer, use a chisel like you used on your oil filter http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

TinMan57
07-27-2001, 02:09 PM
Brewer, use a piece of allthread going all the way through the strut with large washers on each end and pull the bushing in. It's much easier than pounding the mofo's in. If you must pound it in try to get a piece of alum. machined as a slug to go into the strut while you beat the crap out it.