PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on Havasu

killerbeez
09-15-2006, 03:07 AM
My wife and I are new to boating and usually stay down river around blythe.We are thinking of going to Havasu for the first time but do not know the best/safest area to go.My boat seems pretty small as to what most people are driving in this forum.I have a 20' openbow jet.

Ultracrazy
09-15-2006, 03:46 AM
My wife and I are new to boating and usually stay down river around blythe.We are thinking of going to Havasu for the first time but do not know the best/safest area to go.My boat seems pretty small as to what most people are driving in this forum.I have a 20' openbow jet.
Your best bet is go up to Park Moabi and run the river.........you can head down to the sand bar and see the Havasu crowd anyway. Have fun and be safe.
UC

HavasuSelect
09-15-2006, 05:20 AM
My boat seems pretty small as to what most people are driving in this forum.I have a 20' openbow jet.
You shouldn't have too much trouble this time of year. A lot of the crowds start thinning out at this time. You might not be able to go W.O.T. everywhere but you should be fine. I've got a 22'er and it does alright.

Second "PLACE"
09-15-2006, 05:22 AM
I would have to agree. For a 20' jet, runnining between the Avi and Topock would be your best bet. Smoother water for smaller boats. Water is plenty deep enough.
Havi is an option, but may be a little rough considering this area sometimes looks as though the US Pacific Naval Fleet is coming into port.

HocusPocus
09-15-2006, 05:24 AM
i use to have a 20' open bow, you will be fine at havasu. if its windy you might get a little beat up.. the crowds aren't really a problem right now. i was just out there last weekend and it wasn't bad at all. i was at the ramps at 7am and was the only one there.
have fun and happy boating.

sigepmock
09-15-2006, 07:09 AM
Launch at Windsor ramp, the lake is a little more protected over there and not as rough. You can head south to the channel or north and head up river to the sand bar and Topoc. The bigger part of the lake south/east of the island can get pretty rough on Saturday afternoon if the wind picks up. We used to run our 21 foot open bow jet on havasu but didn't stray to far south just in case.
Good luck and stop by if you see us for some cold beverages,
Chris

catman-do
09-15-2006, 08:44 AM
21 will be fine in Havasu. I just upgraded to a 27 from a 21 and the old boat would get beat up a little on big weekends. But crowds are gone now.

sigepmock
09-15-2006, 08:53 AM
21 will be fine in Havasu. I just upgraded to a 27 from a 21 and the old boat would get beat up a little on big weekends. But crowds are gone now.
Upgraded from a 21 to a 27......lives in Rancho......you don't drive a lifted Chevy do? :crossx:
Oh crap my evil twin may have found me.... :cry:

havaduner
09-15-2006, 08:59 AM
Upgraded from a 21 to a 27......lives in Rancho......you don't drive a lifted Chevy do? :crossx:
Oh crap my evil twin may have found me.... :cry:
Doesnt everyone in the 909 drive a lifted chevy? :p

Mandelon
09-15-2006, 09:07 AM
You should be fine. Keep an eye on the weather, but the crowds are way down now. I ran my 20' jet from The Springs at the south all the way to the sandbar up north on several occasions.

455Rocket
09-15-2006, 09:35 AM
I took my 19' Nordic out in Havasu all the time... then I crapped my pants and got a 21 ft...
You'll be fine...

phebus
09-15-2006, 09:38 AM
Summer weekends, I would think twice, but anytime after Labor Day, and especially if it's a weekday, you will be fine as long as the weather is good.
Hell, lately, you would have to look hard to find a bump.