PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan

jeffroe
09-15-2006, 05:34 AM
looking for a new oil pan for my bbc, the one i have now was a stock depth truck pan that was welded on to extend forward for extra oil,(14 qrts) but it's back yard junk. i want to run a crank shaft mounted scrapper, but cant go any deeper than what i have. it would be real nice to have a dip stick tube that won't leak oil at the pan as well.

PC Rat
09-15-2006, 08:42 AM
I don't know how you are going to mount a scraper to your crankshaft, so I'll set that one aside for a moment.
As for the oil pan, check out Stef's, they are at the top of the list. There quality/craftsmanship/design is second to none. Maybe cstraub69 can post a little bit about oil control.
You are doing the right thing by swapping out that backyard built oil pan. Get something that is constructed well with some good baffles and can control the windage in the pan, all this will help keep the oil pickup covered so it doesn't suck air and you might gain a few hp to.

jeffroe
09-15-2006, 09:58 AM
crank mounted scrapper was what we used in drag car, but i think the marine pan has a different set up for control of oil from all the different directions the boat moves vs a drag car.

BrendellaJet
09-15-2006, 12:06 PM
crank mounted scraper? I think they usually bolt to the block...Im sure thats what you meant...

Youngblood
09-15-2006, 01:09 PM
the scrapper mounts between the pan and pan rail of the block. For a pan i'd look to cstraub that post on here, Dan Olsen or Armando Rodriguez.

jeffroe
09-15-2006, 01:27 PM
funny all these years we always called it crank mounted scrapper:rolleyes: but yes it actually mounts to the block.

LynnsJet
09-15-2006, 10:23 PM
Look at the Milodon - Offshore/Jet Boat 10 qt pan. It has a nice windage tray. I really like mine.
L J

jeffroe
09-16-2006, 06:16 AM
Milodon looks good!!! thanks jeff

Ken F
09-16-2006, 06:33 AM
Jeff,
If you like the Milodon Pan, I've got one I'd sell you. I'm going to have to go with a different type for my sled. It's the 10 qt. offshore Jetboat pan, 1 year old and looks brand new. PM me if interested.
Ken F