PDA

View Full Version : GM Tech ??

Nucking futs
09-15-2006, 07:59 AM
I have a '04 duramax that keeps throwing the glow plug heater code. Truck has 92,000 miles and was wondering if the warranty covers this. If not, what is involved with the part replacement?
Thanks.

MudPumper
09-15-2006, 10:10 AM
There is an open recall on the Engine glow plug system. It's to reprogram the glow plug control module. I don't know if applies to 04's but it does for the 06's.

IMPATIENT 1
09-17-2006, 11:22 AM
more than likey you have a bad glow plug relay. its the little black box on the driver's side rear of the engine. get a test lite and touch the post on the glow plug.have someone turn the key on to energize the glow plugs.the test lite should lite up for a second.if it doesn't and the dash lite comes on anyway, take the cover offa the glow relay box and remove the rear one(the frt. one for the intake heater).you'll have to get the relay from the dealership(its a high amp design).

fleetimus
09-17-2006, 12:18 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4155110627475-med.gif
maybe this will help

QuickJet
09-17-2006, 01:21 PM
www.fullsizechevy.com
Post your question there after you register. It will be answered.

IMPATIENT 1
09-18-2006, 05:44 AM
www.fullsizechevy.com
Post your question there after you register. It will be answered.
i'm a gm certified diesel master tech,i know a duramax like you know your boat.

Nucking futs
09-18-2006, 06:09 AM
Thanks all, will work on it today.

JAY4SPEED
09-18-2006, 07:22 PM
i'm a gm certified diesel master tech,i know a duramax like you know your boat.
I'm doing a turbo on a Dmax at work today, what a pain in the ass!
Tim, I think that glow plug issue should be still covered under your power-train warranty up to 100k if I'm not mistaken. Call up your dealer, give them your Vin and have them check your expiration on your warranty and let your know if your still under warranty. I'm a GM master tech also, but not much a diesel tech (we don't get many here), I'd go with what Impatient 1 says....lol. Also, if you end up replacing the glow plug controller, I believe it has to be reprogrammed (the module not the relay). I'm sure Impatient ! could tell you for certain.
Jay

IMPATIENT 1
09-18-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm doing a turbo on a Dmax at work today, what a pain in the ass!
Tim, I think that glow plug issue should be still covered under your power-train warranty up to 100k if I'm not mistaken. Call up your dealer, give them your Vin and have them check your expiration on your warranty and let your know if your still under warranty. I'm a GM master tech also, but not much a diesel tech (we don't get many here), I'd go with what Impatient 1 says....lol
Jay
whats it doin jay?

JAY4SPEED
09-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Turbo shaft is loose, the bearings let go. I'm pretty sure its not a oil starvation issue due to all the oil in the exhaust system. A case of turbo self destruct-O!...lol Any tips?
Jay

JAY4SPEED
09-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Complains were:
Loud clanking while accelerating>
Lack of power going uphill.
White smoke coming from exhaust.
--------------------------------------------
Exhaust system is full of oil as if the oil seal in the turbo let go, oil puddling beneath the muffler. I got most of the exhaust from the manifolds to the turbo off today, turbo outlet pipe full of oil. Grabbed the turbine shaft and had tons of play as well as marks where the inlet vanes hit the housing.

IMPATIENT 1
09-18-2006, 07:42 PM
pretty straight forward, did it hurt the impellor bad? might have thrown metal into the intake.did they have a programmer installed?? i've never replaced a turbo for any other reason. we have alot of people runnin diesel around me and everyone is using water/methanol injection or big programmer and exhaust and it just melts turbos.

JAY4SPEED
09-18-2006, 07:49 PM
I agree think it was just a mech failure, didn't see any power adders under the hood, this is just a work horse type truck. I'm going to check the intake for metal after I get the turbo out.
You ever on the GM tech forums? I'm jay4speed there also if you are.
Jay

IMPATIENT 1
09-19-2006, 05:12 AM
I agree think it was just a mech failure, didn't see any power adders under the hood, this is just a work horse type truck. I'm going to check the intake for metal after I get the turbo out.
You ever on the GM tech forums? I'm jay4speed there also if you are.
Jay
nah, i spend my down time here,lol.check the intercooler for metal fragments too.

JAY4SPEED
09-19-2006, 08:43 AM
check the intercooler for metal fragments too.
Thanks, I didn't think of that!
jay