PDA

View Full Version : Business Opportunity... Help

UnionJack
09-15-2006, 08:05 AM
So a BO has just come up on the scope.... which will allow HavaTan to expand from 2 locations to 6 within three months. The growth will allow us to own the Inland Empire. So I guess the question is should I sell some toys to raise the money or get some investors? I need to put together about 500k but the return should be out of control.

DCBDaytona
09-15-2006, 08:07 AM
So a BO has just come up on the scope.... which will allow HavaTan to expand from 2 locations to 6 within three months. The growth will allow us to own the Inland Empire. So I guess the question is should I sell some toys to raise the money or get some investors? I need to put together about 500k but the return should be out of control.
I say do it yourself. If you have to sacrifice toys now for 'out of control' cash flow, that's mionr in the long run!

UnionJack
09-15-2006, 08:09 AM
I say do it yourself. If you have to sacrifice toys now for 'out of control' cash flow, that's mionr in the long run!
I know, But I still Want to have fun

ChumpChange
09-15-2006, 08:09 AM
Taking on investors just brings more opinions into the mix. It seems that you and HavaTan are doing a good job with the two of you at this time. If you'd be able to own the IE though, it seems like a good opportunity. I won't say anymore here on this forum as I don't want to sound like I'm breaking any privacy laws. If you still have my card, give me a call if you'd like.
Selling toys in this market isn't the easiest thing to do as well, just look at the SPAM section here.

catman-do
09-15-2006, 08:12 AM
Then you just answered your own question. Just remember if you bring in an investor then each of those people will have a say (or atleast try to) in the way they think "their" portion of the money should be spent. I personally would sell the toys for a year or so and start collecting cash.

Dave C
09-15-2006, 08:14 AM
it depends on you..
investors = surrender some control
do-it-urself = more flexibility less ball breaking received from "others"
besides isn't a few-month-old DCB supposed to be sold anyway.... ;) :rollside:

Havasu_Dreamin
09-15-2006, 08:16 AM
besides isn't a few-month-old DCB supposed to be sold anyway.... ;) :rollside:
:rollside:

Say10
09-15-2006, 08:22 AM
I have my own company and I can't tell you the number of times I have put off buying this or that or going here or there. Any time I can take $1 and make into $2 I make the sacrafice. Believe me it's pissed off my wife more than once. Make the sacrafices now and remember nobody, no matter how well you pay them will ever care as much as you do about if your co. If it fails or not. Growth is something I am always thinking about. It makes me pucker but I know it's just around my corner. Good Luck.

a catered life
09-15-2006, 08:25 AM
the least amount of people you keep involved the faster you will be able to make critical decissions that may affect your bottom line faster..remember business is not like sex.....less head (s) is better in the main room

UnionJack
09-15-2006, 08:39 AM
I wouldn't sell the boat, but the GT40 and the Bentley would have to go

wsuwrhr
09-15-2006, 08:45 AM
That is my problem at this point.
My wife doesn't understand either, it is kind of funny, the house payment gets made every month somehow by magic I guess.
I worry about spending because I never know what is around the corner.
Brian
I have my own company and I can't tell you the number of times I have put off buying this or that or going here or there. Any time I can take $1 and make into $2 I make the sacrafice. Believe me it's pissed off my wife more than once. Make the sacrafices now and remember nobody, no matter how well you pay them will ever care as much as you do about if your co. If it fails or not. Growth is something I am always thinking about. It makes me pucker but I know it's just around my corner. Good Luck.

wsuwrhr
09-15-2006, 08:46 AM
Rough life ey?
Mind if I take the -40 out if you are planning on selling it.
Do whatever you want with the Bentley.
Brian

havaduner
09-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Sounds like you have the opportunity to buy out a competitor....
If you can raise the capital yourself, do it. Investors/Partners can expect different things, from a company, and the people running it. Just remember huge growth in a company can have its own set of problems.

Schi-502
09-15-2006, 09:09 AM
Bringing on investors! All the above comments are 'spot-on'. Bringing on investors is like inviting friends to your 'kegger'. As soon as the beer is gone things get ugly. They look to you to make it better. Then you loose site of what you are there for! Good luck

HocusPocus
09-15-2006, 09:21 AM
sell the toys.. do it yourself, forget about investors, it could lead to headaches you don't need. you can always buy more toys. :rollside:

phebus
09-15-2006, 09:23 AM
How about franchising?

SOCALDETAIL1
09-15-2006, 09:26 AM
Try to do it on your own. No fun for a while, but payday will be real nice.

socalmofo
09-15-2006, 10:23 AM
That's IT! I'm opening tanning salons in San Diego.

reDECKulous
09-15-2006, 10:26 AM
Sometimes you have to take a step back, to take a step forward... or in this case many steps forward

DMOORE
09-15-2006, 10:30 AM
If you can afford to do it on your own, that's the way. More investors=more headaches.
Darrell.

syke-o
09-15-2006, 10:37 AM
investors dont necessarily mean more headaches.. you can take on investors that are silent and write it up so that they dont have a say in the day to day operations, that they are only entitled to a percentage of the business profits and thats it..

UnionJack
09-15-2006, 10:40 AM
How about franchising?
We already do that, one opens in Corona in 3 months

Nord
09-15-2006, 10:43 AM
Your time will be pretty occupied with 4 more locations don't you think???
~NORD~

UnionJack
09-15-2006, 10:45 AM
That's IT! I'm opening tanning salons in San Diego.
We can help, we have franchises going into the OC, Hemet and Simi, one in SD would be great, just let us know

UnionJack
09-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Your time will be pretty occupied with 4 more locations don't you think???
~NORD~
without question

Insurance God
09-15-2006, 11:29 AM
UJ, I have bad news... Your insurance rate just went up. :rollside:

UnionJack
09-15-2006, 12:07 PM
UJ, I have bad news... Your insurance rate just went up. :rollside:
thanks, how the wife and my Baby? :cool:

Pheelin Phroggy
09-15-2006, 12:27 PM
If you are incorporated and maintian 51% ownership in stock, and retain the position of chairman of the board, you have the final say so anyways, basically investors buy into a percentage of dividends distributed, which financial projections will have to forecast probably 25+ % annual return on thier money, along with justifying the price per share.
Most larger investors will require you have a certain level of personal monies or assets tied up into the expansion anyways, gives them a warm fuzzy about your dedication to success. Some even go as far as requiring a friends and family 1st round investment to prove your commitment.
Some won't, but the real guys will. If you want it all, use your own money, if you want to share, use other peoples money (it is a popular way expanding a company).
Just our experiences in bringing investors in, which we do from time to time. We don't mind sharing, as long as everyone can make money.

Dave C
09-15-2006, 12:46 PM
LMAO.. baller..
regarding previous posts, investors are only happy as long as they are making what they consider the proper amount of money. If they aren't they can be difficult but it really depends on the person.
A silent partner only work if they remain.... "silent." :crossx: LOL
I would only take on investors ONLY if there is just no other way of raising the scratch.

UnionJack
09-15-2006, 01:27 PM
The shares are selling for 20k for 1%, the return will will be good, for a person who owns 5% they should see an annual return of 20-40k a year

Insurance God
thanks, how the wife and my Baby? :cool:
Nice one.

UnionJack
Thanks

Ivan Dan
09-15-2006, 10:16 PM
The shares are selling for 20k for 1%, the return will will be good, for a person who owns 5% they should see an annual return of 20-40k a year
I'm interested....PM or e-mail (Dan@DanKaatz.com) more details.

djunkie
09-16-2006, 01:40 AM
I'm interested....PM or e-mail (Dan@DanKaatz.com) more details.
Ya how much you looking for from an investor. I can wait a little longer to buy a house. :idea: :idea:

Tequila-John
09-16-2006, 06:19 AM
Good luck bud. You will do the right thing whent he time comes

rude235
09-16-2006, 07:11 AM
not being a big business owner, i really don't know what i'm talking about but............it seems to me that if you can stomach the investment yourself to reap 100% of the returns you'd be better off in the long run. if you're concerned about having to sell the toys, i'm sure there are plenty of people on this board that would offer up lake/river trips to hold you over until you replaced your water ride. and if you get the chance, drop me a pm or an email about your franchise info...jdirig@cox.net