PDA

View Full Version : Tuning injection

Schiada76
09-15-2006, 01:00 PM
I had a lean pop first time out with my new Birdcatcher.
Sorted through some other issues and now I'm ready to try and tune again.
It fires right up, idles great and runs perfect until I open it up off idle or while cruising at 3000 to 3500 (as high as I took the RPM). Or is 3500 rpm off idle with injection? :D
Should I richen the idle mix first or change to a smaller pill first?
It's a Mak IV 500CI BBC, w/871 at about 11 to 12 #'s boost, brand new hat set up by Enderle with a .116 pill, on 100 octane.

WannabeRacing
09-15-2006, 01:26 PM
The very moment you move the throttle you are off idle. Do you know what ramp you have in your barrel valve?

Schiada76
09-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Nope.
I'll find out.
Hey don't you just know how to tune alky???? :D
Since it's a new deal and bench tuned by Enderle to my specs shouldn't it be close enough for some slight adjustment?

WannabeRacing
09-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Yeah. Gasoline to me is like kryptonite to superman.
Now if you ran some clear stuff in them there tanks, we could get you tuned in.
Yes. It should be close enough. And usually they throw you a touch on the fat side, not lean.

Schiada76
09-15-2006, 03:11 PM
Hopefully it was my tank overflow problem that was causing the pop and lean condition but I want to be prepared to tune as much as my limited ability will allow next time out.
The fuel has a light blue tint does that make it easier for you meth (methanol) heads? :D

blowngas
09-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Should I richen the idle mix first or change to a smaller pill first?
you need to richen the idle mix first------the main jet change is for richening, leaning the mixture at WOT------and don't go over 2 flats at a time on the turnbuckle----mark one with a marker so you know where you started-------check and see what it does or needs----it doesn't take much change once you get close to what it likes-----reset butterflys with feeler guage to .012 or so or what ever the opening is now after richening barrel valve, before trying to start it ------limit the timing to a max of 34 deg. total---- if you are gona run 100 octane, I think I would take the boast down to no more than 3-4 lbs.

Schiada76
09-18-2006, 11:22 AM
[if you are gona run 100 octane, I think I would take the boast down to no more than 3-4 lbs.[/QUOTE]
??????
I was running 12#'s on carbs and the stock Weiand pully setup will give 5#'s out of the box.

blowngas
09-22-2006, 12:11 PM
I was running 12#'s on carbs and the stock Weiand pully setup will give 5#'s out of the box.
if the motor isn't banging at that kind of boost I would really be surprised----or you either have some really good 100 octane, or low compression-----the bearings will let you know----you never stated what timing you're running----I guess you can get away with it around 30-----don't ever run more than 34-----mine liked 35 but that was pushing it with 118 sunoco in a dragboat----even then, there were still signs of detenation on the pistons and bearings-----have fun!!

Schiada76
09-22-2006, 12:20 PM
if the motor isn't banging at that kind of boost I would really be surprised----or you either have some really good 100 octane, or low compression-----the bearings will let you know----you never stated what timing you're running----I guess you can get away with it around 30-----don't ever run more than 34-----mine liked 35 but that was pushing it with 118 sunoco in a dragboat----even then, there were still signs of detenation on the pistons and bearings-----have fun!!
Running AV gas with 30 degrees locked out.
8:1 static, and intercooled
Showed 11-12# at WOT on the carbs, have not gone WOT with the hat yet.
Never saw a problem with the plugs (not that I'm a great plug reader) but shouldn't they show some damage or AL deposits if I'm pushing the boost too hard?
J540 runs 18#'s I think with a 14, port and hat injected on AV gas and I have another buddy running 18#'s on a 600ci deal with a 1471 hihelix, stripped, Pete Jackson barn door, port and throttle body injected on AV gas also.
Just liitle lake boats. :D

blowngas
09-22-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm not thinking clearly today!!------I keep thinking your running pump gas premium-----not race gas-----you should be able to run 100 octane at those pressures, but watch the timing-------I remember back when pump gas premium was 100 octane minimum----- and pumping batches of sunoco 260 that was 112-114 octane!!!-----and only 65 cents a gallon!!!----hard to believe-----damn I'm getting old

fc-pilot
09-22-2006, 01:39 PM
I like the idea of getting 106 octane from the pump again with this E85 stuff. It may not be the best for a daily driver that you are trying to get good gas mileage out of, but would be cool for a boat or hot rod.
Brad, any report on how it ran?
Paul

Schiada76
09-22-2006, 02:02 PM
My AL tank is getting the powder coat stripped right now, powder coating next week, both tanks back in the boat next weekend testing the weekend after that.
I gotta real job!!! Nothing fun like you full time racers! :D
BG, 112-114 at .65??? :cry: :cry:
Oh well I can remember cashing in empty bottles when I was sixteen to buy beer and gas at .20 to .25 a gallon. :D

fc-pilot
09-22-2006, 03:07 PM
Full time racer? Brad, the only thing I do full time is goof off.
Paul

Big Otis
09-22-2006, 03:31 PM
reset butterflys with feeler guage to .012 or so or what ever the opening is now after richening barrel valve, before trying to start it
Where do you put the feeler guage?

Schiada76
09-22-2006, 04:12 PM
Where do you put the feeler guage?
Bottom of the butterfly to the hat.
Enderle has mine set at .013.

Big Otis
09-22-2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks, Need all the help I can get.
Enderle did't have to much info for me.

moneysucker
09-27-2006, 09:27 AM
The best money I ever spent was having Ralph Gorr dial in my injection. He still answers my stupid questions more than 1 year later. Great people there. He will do tuning and is normally at the track and will do lake tests best customer service I have experienced in high performance. http://www.gorrfuelsystems.com/

Big Otis
09-27-2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks MoneySucker, sounds like a stand up guy.
Cool site