PDA

View Full Version : removing window tint

slotracer
09-16-2006, 11:19 AM
my daughter got a ticket for her windows. what the best way to remove it? she has a 1 year old son so i am trying to do it without oven cleaner. :idea:

voodoomedman
09-16-2006, 11:39 AM
my daughter got a ticket for her windows. what the best way to remove it? she has a 1 year old son so i am trying to do it without oven cleaner. :idea:
Don't. Read the ticket first. When I got one I paid like 60 bucks for the violation and didn't have to get it signed off. If I got it signed off then it was like $10 bucks.

ahhell
09-16-2006, 12:23 PM
But, if you do remove it, acetone works or move to AZ :)

Partycattin
09-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Used to help out at a tint shop.
Pull the tint off slowly by working from one corner. Try to pull it easily and work it off in 1 large piece if possible.
Take a spray bottle and fill it with water. Add a squirt of dish washing soap.
Spray it all over the window where the film was removed. Use a good quality razor blade and scrape the glue off the window. As the water sets in, the glue loosens up and comes off like a bunch of boogers.
Once all the glue is gone, use windex to clean the window.

CHEETAH24
09-16-2006, 01:01 PM
go and get a trash bag out of the garage..then slice it open and spray the inside of the window with water. place the trash bag on the glass like your tinting the window with it, except don't sqeeze all the water out of it.let the car sit directly in the sun for about an hour and a half.take the trash bag off the window and the tint will pull right off.then clean the glass and you done.
i would not have believed it but i had to do it to my truck.

Chestah Cheetah
09-16-2006, 01:28 PM
go and get a trash bag out of the garage..then slice it open and spray the inside of the window with water. place the trash bag on the glass like your tinting the window with it, except don't sqeeze all the water out of it.let the car sit directly in the sun for about an hour and a half.take the trash bag off the window and the tint will pull right off.then clean the glass and you done.
Exactly how I do it. I also turn on the car and crank the heater at full blast for 45 minutes or so. I have done this to 3 different vehicles and the stuff comes off easy while also taking the glue with it. Very little cleaning to do if done right.

RitcheyRch
09-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Same thing I did a few months back.
Don't. Read the ticket first. When I got one I paid like 60 bucks for the violation and didn't have to get it signed off. If I got it signed off then it was like $10 bucks.

rrrr
09-16-2006, 06:03 PM
Hair dryer on medium. Don't use a heat gun unless you want new windows.....

HocusPocus
09-16-2006, 06:07 PM
i gotta remember this one.. thanks.

jojoshow
09-16-2006, 06:07 PM
Yep trash bag is the best. Use a black one if you can, it works better when you leave it in the sun. just did it a month ago.

slotracer
09-17-2006, 09:24 AM
well i will see if the trash bags work. on the windows now and just waiting.

core attitude
09-17-2006, 11:53 AM
well i will see if the trash bags work. on the windows now and just waiting.
Well..........how did it work?

slotracer
09-17-2006, 12:01 PM
well it came off with the garbage bag. i was able to grab ahold of the tint and pull it right off. on the driver side that was not in the sun it came off in one piece with all the glue, but the other side was in the sun and it came off but left some of the glue on it. i think it worked having the bag on. i know people who have spent hours on it. over all took about 1/2 hour after letting it sitting with the water and bags on them. all i had to do was scrap some glue off the one side and i was done. thanks for the info on the bags. i had visions of taking all day to get it done.