PDA

View Full Version : I have a question..You make the decision

Doug The Jeweler
01-15-2002, 08:54 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About 6 months ago I sold a 900 hp motor to a guy who is very nice.He got the motor and was very happy with his purchase price of $7000.00 The engine was used but had been machined and ready for reassembly .The crank had been welded up due to previous damage.I had assembled and run the motor 1 time before we completely rebuilt.It detonated the bearing at an idle due to some bad gas.We took apart the motor and sent the crank to a shop to be polished and checked for straitness.It passed with flying colors.He saw the damage imediately but his engine builder said not to worry.Last week he calls me and tells me that the crank is no good and wants me to split the cost of a new Ford 514 crank ($1600.00)At first I agreed even though I had already spent his money and didn't have it to give to him this month but after talking to the engine builder and the crank shop the both tell me it was in good shape when I sent it to him.I don't know anything about cranks and rely on experts.I want to believe this guy when he says that he hasn't put it together in 6 months but what do I do.Both the engine builder and the crank shop said he must have run it,hurt it and now wants me to pay for it.What would you do?I am honest but I don't want to be taken advantage of.If this was your delima what would you do.Please Help

Snowboat
01-16-2002, 09:49 AM
Several questions. What do you mean by bad gas detonated a bearing? And, was the engine sold as assembled? And was it assembled by him the last time?

old rigger
01-16-2002, 12:50 PM
Doug the Jeweler,
Touchy situation, but I think 6 months is waaaay to long of a time to pass for him to expect you to pay for anything. There's no way for you to know what has been done to the parts or, for that matter, how they were handled.
I'm sure had he came back to you within a reasonable amount of time, say a month, and he was just re-asembling the motor at that time, you would have paid for half of the crank.
You were up front with him about the condition of the engine. Sounds to me like he should be talking to his engine builder who said "not to worry" at the time of the purchase.
There's lots of things I can think of that I'd tell him, but you seem to have much more class than that. I don't think it's your problem, and the way I see it, you owe him jack.

Doug The Jeweler
01-16-2002, 10:16 PM
This is what my decision is and the E-mail that I sent him.This guy was very patient with getting the motor and I will split the cost of a used crank ($500.00)after I see the old one.Thanks for all your feedback on the subject.The bottom line is I gave my word and this decision makes me feel the best in my conscience.
Hi Kevin,
Your point is a valad one too.I have not made up my mind about this until
now.If you send me the crank and it has no damage or change to the specs of
the crank,I will split the cost of a used crank up to $500.00.If it has been
used or broken in shipment or since you have had the crank then you pay for
its return or you can decide to scrap it.I alwasy said you were a very nice
person or I would have no problem just saying no.If you would have found out
about the damage at the time you got it I would have replaced it or we could
have put in a shipping claim to replace it.Like I said I had no idea it had
any damaged or you would have never got it in the first place.I hope this
meets with your approval if it does send it to me ... Doug
Send it to:

Stab-n-Steer
01-17-2002, 06:06 AM
You are a good man Doug but I aggree with Old Rigger. Used is used and any of us that have bought used equipment understand the risk. In no way did you misrepresent the motor when it was sold. If you did, that would be a different story... If the $500 makes you sleep better at night however, then it's more than worth it.
Honesty and integrity are admirable qualities and you certainly have both.
S&S