PDA

View Full Version : Need some Holley HELP....pleeeeeaase

Flip
09-16-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm tryin to get my motor broke in today. It's 7:00 and I'm running outta daylight. I'm no expert with Holley's. I've got a 4160 715cfm. When its running at about 2000 RPM for the cam break in you can see one of the venturis on the both the primaries and secondies are just kinda of a steady flow of gas. That aint right. Right? Ugh.... so frustrated. :mad:

IMPATIENT 1
09-16-2006, 05:56 PM
I'm tryin to get my motor broke in today. It's 7:00 and I'm running outta daylight. I'm no expert with Holley's. I've got a 4160 715cfm. When its running at about 2000 RPM for the cam break in you can see one of the venturis on the both the primaries and secondies are just kinda of a steady flow of gas. That aint right. Right? Ugh.... so frustrated. :mad:
electric pump or manual? is it flowing more than the other 3?did you let the carb dry out and maybe have a stuck float?

Flip
09-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Mechanical pump
1 of each (pri. and sec.) venturi are spewing the same amount. Opposite corners. So if you're looking in the carb from the from of the motor, the front left and back right are trickling.
The carb did dry out but I just pulled one bowl and needle and both are moving freely

IMPATIENT 1
09-16-2006, 06:03 PM
dual plane intake?

Flip
09-16-2006, 06:04 PM
single torker

IMPATIENT 1
09-16-2006, 06:07 PM
sounds like a air bleed, jet, or fuel channel is clogged with something.was the bottom of the bowl alittle chalky lookin?

Flip
09-16-2006, 06:09 PM
no. not chaulky
just curious. power valve? i dont really know the symptoms of a bad power valve but I know they blow out real easy

IMPATIENT 1
09-16-2006, 06:30 PM
no. not chaulky
just curious. power valve? i dont really know the symptoms of a bad power valve but I know they blow out real easy
did you change any gaskets on the carb lately?before the cam breaking in.
when i blew a p/v, it would run alittle fat at @1/4 throttle on the primaries.i don't run p/v in the rear, have a factory blocked off p/v meter plate(850 dp 4150)that i installed(jetted 6 more than the frt.).if you can suck in on the flat side of the p/v and it stays drawn in till you cut the suction, its ok.plus a blown p/v usually affects both primary or sec. barrels at the same time instead of the stagard effect you have with a single plane intake.

Wicked Performance Boats
09-16-2006, 06:53 PM
Lower the rpm alittle and see if problem dripping goes away. Maybe you just starting the transition stage to primaries. BL

Flip
09-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Lower the rpm alittle and see if problem dripping goes away. Maybe you just starting the transition stage to primaries. BL
yeah. tried that too. Problem is that it will pour too much fuel and kill the motor.

Wicked Performance Boats
09-16-2006, 07:06 PM
Then the floats are too high or fuel pressure is too high. BL

Flip
09-16-2006, 07:38 PM
I'm bouncing between 6 and 8 psi. Probably a float setting problem or something gummed up in the carb.
Is there a standard place to start the floats at?

jag2
09-16-2006, 07:49 PM
I was playing with my 9029 715 tonight also. I pulled the sight screw and set the bottom of the floats about at the bottom of the hole, adjust from there. I havent started it to test it yet though.

Wicked Performance Boats
09-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Most holleys have a site level plug on the side. Just let it trickle alittle or weep some. If no site plugs, just take floatbowl off , turn it upside down a d adjust it till the float is parallel to the top of the casting. Personally I lower it a bit more. BL

poncho-pwr
09-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Pull the needle and seat assemblys and make sure there isn't any trash in them, then make sure one of the floats doesn't have a leak and that they aren't filling up with fuel with will keep them from being able to float up and shut off the incoming fuel at idle. You would probably be ahead of the game kitting the carb before messing around with it much more if it has set for a while.

DUCKY
09-17-2006, 09:53 AM
A 4160 is a vacuum secondary...First off, the secondaries shouldn't be doing anything at 2000rpm with no load on the motor. Secondly, anytime the fuel pressure is bouncing around, something is not right. Personally, I would cut the pressure back a little (if you have a regulator) I would much rather see a rock solid 5psi, than a bouncy 6-8. Then set the float height (just like Pat said) with the motor idling, the boat on level ground, and the sight plugs out I usually set them down until fuel just stops dribbling out. This is slightly lower than what Holley recommends, but boats bounce alot. If you have a blown power valve, the fuel won't be spewing from the main circuit, but instead from the vacuum port near the throttle blades that controls the valve, and the motor won't idle, so I doubt that is your problem.

myoung
09-17-2006, 12:16 PM
This looks like it may be a problem with a possible air leak, but we'll have to tear into the carb to find out for sure. For now, I took over a spare carb I have and it's running like a champ now. :cool:
I've seen tempermental Holley's before, sometimes they just have to have an attitude adjustment. We'll dig in to his carb some other time and find out what's going on.