PDA

View Full Version : Damn U.P.S. failed again

Trailer Park Casanova
09-16-2006, 09:03 PM
Our Uninteruptable Power Supply (UPS) failed yesterday.
Outside power went out, and the back up system failed.
It left The entire So Cali Aqueduct system & water treatment without adequate monitoring, and all kinds of other confidential systems down too.
It's 1000 Batteries (special industrial design, almost 4 ft long) connected to a rectifier system with a 100 KW Cat generator back up. The batts are all dead & need replacing, waiting for the powers that be to approve the cash.
About a half million bux + overtime to do the swap.
Couldn't get the Cat to start, cranky old bitch,, so I did an old Marine Corps trick and put a tablespoon of gas into the air intake,, it rolled over,,finally.
Couldn't find any gasoline. My cars electric, everything else diesel.
If you use starting fluid, take my advise and just give your diesel narely a wiff,, some distance away from the air intake, never a direct shot.
It'll take your rings out pronto if ya give it a hot load of ether.
Just barely a taste in the vicinity of the air inlet.
Or a 1/2 teaspoon of gasoline.

Tom Brown
09-16-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm sure it was something you did. It's never the UPS's fault. :D

HCS
09-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Try FED-X they really suck ass!!!

rrrr
09-16-2006, 11:00 PM
It left The entire So Cali Aqueduct system & water treatment without adequate monitoring, and all kinds of other confidential systems down too.
It's 1000 Optimas (special industrial design, 4 ft long) connected to a rectifier system with a 100 KW Cat generator back up. The batts are all dead & need replacing, waiting for the powers that be to approve the cash.
Half million? That can't be right. I am installing an 4800 kW UPS system right now and the batteries will provide 15 minutes run time. They cost $1.2M.
Are these batteries the flooded cell type or sealed AGM?
The generator has to be bigger than 100 kW..... :rollside:
A lot bigger.

Tom Brown
09-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Half million? That can't be right.
Maybe they bought their Optimas at CostCo and they're getting free replacements.

voodoomedman
09-16-2006, 11:07 PM
Gotta admit it was kinda funny. You got me!
It's 1000 Optimas (special industrial design, 4 ft long) connected to a rectifier system with a 100 KW Cat generator back up. The batts are all dead & need replacing, waiting for the powers that be to approve the cash.
Couldn't get the Cat to start, cranky old bitch,, so I did an old Marine Corps trick and put a tablespoon of gas into the air intake,, it rolled over,,finally.
Couldn't find any gasoline. My cars electric, everything else diesel.
If you use starting fluid, take my advise and just give your diesel narely a wiff,, some distance away from the air intake, never a direct shot.
It'll take your rings out pronto if ya give it a hot load of ether.
Just barely a taste in the vicinity of the air inlet.
Or a 1/2 teaspoon of gasoline.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-17-2006, 03:28 AM
Half million? That can't be right. I am installing an 4800 kW UPS system right now and the batteries will provide 15 minutes run time. They cost $1.2M.
Are these batteries the flooded cell type or sealed AGM?
The generator has to be bigger than 100 kW..... :rollside:
A lot bigger.
You're right, I wrote that wrong: 100 KW Cat and
1.7 megawatt not yet finished installed / being changed out/re-located from Seimens to Det Diesel.
Just the 100kw Cat is functional at this time, non essential UPS disconnected.
You can see the installation of the Det Diesel at Hope and Temple Sts. LA.
Cats around the corner on Dewap rd.
The batteries were bid at about 1/2 million $$ per 500 ea location, 8 locations / both types.
Looks like we got a good deal.
Pix at 5 tonight.
---
Plus special added bonus:
Wife just wrote this from her hospital. She has no feelings for cheating husbands, having been burned by her ex:
"We've been taking care of a lady from Arizona, whose daughter is the mistress of the mayor. It's really disgusting, he comes here every night with his two police body guards, and he and the girl who he hired to work in his office are all over each other. He stays here for hours, while his wife and kids at home are thinking he's on a business trip. I'm glad I didn't vote for him. "
-----
Ya read it first in Hot Boats.
Think I can be the HB's scandal editor?

Tom Brown
09-17-2006, 09:10 AM
Wife just wrote this from her hospital. She has no feelings for cheating husbands, having been burned by her ex:
"We've been taking care of a lady from Arizona, whose daughter is the mistress of the mayor. It's really disgusting, he comes here every night with his two police body guards, and he and the girl who he hired to work in his office are all over each other. He stays here for hours, while his wife and kids at home are thinking he's on a business trip. I'm glad I didn't vote for him. "
Do you have to be burned by an ex to find that to be low moral conduct?
Think I can be the HB's scandal editor?
You're my write in vote.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-17-2006, 03:04 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812ups_001-med.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812ups_006-med.jpg
Took some coaxing to get the UPS 100KW Cat rollin during a power outtage. Temp until our big gen arrives
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812ups_004-med.jpg
Still waiting on the delivery of a 1.7 meg Spectrum Detroit Diesel to power our UPS. Should have been here April, now pushed furthur to late Oct.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812ups_016-med.jpg
Zillions of dead ones among other types too to back up our UPS. One of many UPS systems in our power grid / 8 local I deal with.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812ups_012-med.jpg
Using standard marine batteries we had warehoused until the funds come avail. for the good ones.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812ups_003-med.jpg
One of several UPS feeds
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812ups_009-med.jpg
My electric car
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812ups_008-med.jpg
Solar cells to charge our electric cars. Never used a dime of fossil fuel generated electricity, all from the sun.

rrrr
09-17-2006, 08:27 PM
Pretty rare to see NiCads on a UPS system. Possible reasons:
1. Bum engineer
2: Vendor buys purchasing manager a large boat
:crossx: :D

RiverDave
09-18-2006, 10:11 AM
TPC, I thought you did Air Conditioning?
RD <--- confused

chub
09-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Dude if you wanna see a real Data Center UPS system walk down the street and I'll give you the nickel tour sometime. I'm one of DWP's biggest customers in the city. We just installed 3 750 kW UPS units and I have 4 3.25 mW generators for back up.

Sleek-Jet
09-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Still waiting on the delivery of a 1.7 meg Spectrum Detroit Diesel to power our UPS. Should have been here April, now pushed furthur to late Oct.
To bad there isn't someone who works for Detroit around here that could help you out on that... :idea: :idea: :D :D
And rrrr...
We have Nicads in all of our substations for back up battery (i.e. UPS) to run our controls and telemetery equipment if we lose source power.

chub
09-18-2006, 10:31 AM
To bad there isn't someone who works for Detroit around here that could help you out on that... :idea: :idea: :D :D
And rrrr...
We have Nicads in all of our substations for back up battery (i.e. UPS) to run our controls and telemetery equipment if we lose source power.
Is there any monitoring of this battery system? How often is a PM done to keep an eye on things. Zero maintenance without a watchful eye = failures when you need them.

Sleek-Jet
09-18-2006, 10:35 AM
Is there any monitoring of this battery system? How often is a PM done to keep an eye on things. Zero maintenance without a watchful eye = failures when you need them.
At least once a month during sub checks/reads... and battery levels and chargers are monitored and alarmed to our SCADA system.

chub
09-18-2006, 10:42 AM
At least once a month during sub checks/reads... and battery levels and chargers are monitored and alarmed to our SCADA system.
Check!

Jordy
09-18-2006, 05:12 PM
We just installed 3 750 kW UPS units and I have 4 3.25 mW generators for back up.
3.25 Megs??? Who makes those monsters? I know DDC/MTU has them in design. HUGE power and the engines that push them are massive as well.
That's a shame. I do know some people who actually do work for Detroit Diesel. Problem is, they sold out of engines back in about April. Kind of hard to sell equipment when you're only able to order product a few months out of the year. :(
On the bright side Cat and Cummins both have the same problem and their delivery times are even further out than DDC/MTU. ;)

Trailer Park Casanova
09-18-2006, 05:26 PM
I just hit the start button when if the power doesn't roll over automatically.
Our crack head/meth head electricians maintain the system including the batts., and this is what we get.
Can't fire them, and they don't have to work.

chub
09-18-2006, 05:45 PM
[QUOTE=Jordy]3.25 Megs??? Who makes those monsters? I know DDC/MTU has them in design. HUGE power and the engines that push them are massive as well.
Allison 501 Turbine generators. KB5 upgraded to give us what was the original design. Jet motors strapped to the ground with a generator on the back.................. I'VE GOT SOME REALLY COOL TOYS! 18750 RPM Who's rollin that?

chub
09-18-2006, 05:50 PM
3.25 Megs??? Who makes those monsters? I know DDC/MTU has them in design. HUGE power and the engines that push them are massive as well.
That's a shame. I do know some people who actually do work for Detroit Diesel. Problem is, they sold out of engines back in about April. Kind of hard to sell equipment when you're only able to order product a few months out of the year. :(
On the bright side Cat and Cummins both have the same problem and their delivery times are even further out than DDC/MTU. ;)
That sounds like a over sea's Mexico issue. When will the USA be a major factor Again? When that Iranian fiourk hits us/ Horsepower is made here!!!!!!

jdmc
09-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Email me I can help with battery problem. krysteel@mac.com

rrrr
09-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Dude if you wanna see a real Data Center UPS system walk down the street and I'll give you the nickel tour sometime. I'm one of DWP's biggest customers in the city. We just installed 3 750 kW UPS units and I have 4 3.25 mW generators for back up.
My biggest project right now has (8) 750 kVA units being installed.... :220v: :220v:
Sleek Jet, your batteries are prolly 120 volt DC strings to run your motorized breakers and stuff as you said.....NiCads are more common for that application.
When I say UPS I mean a double conversion system, AC rectifier/ DC inverter kinda thing like is used in data centers. Those typically use VRLA batteries, uh, that's valve regulated lead acid.....I hate acronym whores..... :D :D

Jordy
09-18-2006, 11:54 PM
Allison 501 Turbine generators. KB5 upgraded to give us what was the original design. Jet motors strapped to the ground with a generator on the back.................. I'VE GOT SOME REALLY COOL TOYS! 18750 RPM Who's rollin that?
I'll have to dig to see if I can find the GE cd-rom of their turbine setup. Bad ass to say the least. They're the ones who got us into the genset biz, too bad they were more worried about setup, presentation, and promo more than making money renting gensets. They had a few meg turbine that they put the CD out on, and it was really impressive, but they never made any money on it. :notam:

Sleek-Jet
09-19-2006, 08:56 AM
I just hit the start button when if the power doesn't roll over automatically.
Our crack head/meth head electricians maintain the system including the batts., and this is what we get.
Can't fire them, and they don't have to work.
We only have one standby generator in any of our substations, a 1.4 MW unit for a mountain resort load we feed... it has to be started from here (i.e. it's not automatic). Usually works well, as long as the dispatcher on duty hasn't missed the battery charger alarm several weeks ago :rolleyes: and one of the batteries has fozen... The generator has a bank of lead-acids for starting, 3500.00 just for the batteries, or so I was told. The Ni-Cads are for control back up power.
GE makes some huge turbine combustion generators... 10 - 15 MW huge, and a few that are bigger than that depending on installation. The problem is fuel burn... they'll run through several thousand gallons of fuel oil faster than RD through a case of Coors Light. Some are run on natti gas, but still have a thirst for the stuff. For smaller loads, the diesel combustion generators are more econimical to run... but not nearly as cool. :cool:
rrrr... that's how the Ni-Cads are used in our installations... not really a UPS... back-up battery is more correct.

chub
09-19-2006, 03:52 PM
My biggest project right now has (8) 750 kVA units being installed.... :220v: :220v:
Sleek Jet, your batteries are prolly 120 volt DC strings to run your motorized breakers and stuff as you said.....NiCads are more common for that application.
When I say UPS I mean a double conversion system, AC rectifier/ DC inverter kinda thing like is used in data centers. Those typically use VRLA batteries, uh, that's valve regulated lead acid.....I hate acronym whores..... :D :D
8 750's Nice. What are they? We use Powerware 9315's. Who is doing your battery room install. We used a third party vendor that the gobment even uses and they are truly the best. We had an Enersys battery exp[lode coming out of the crate and they handled the problem better than anyone else could've. PM me if you want info! No I get nothing for referrals just you get good service.
TPC I wanna tour that building your at. I'm just down Temple across the freeway. Show a pic of the fountains at night. They rock!

rrrr
09-19-2006, 09:56 PM
8 750's Nice. What are they? We use Powerware 9315's. Who is doing your battery room install. We used a third party vendor that the gobment even uses and they are truly the best. We had an Enersys battery exp[lode coming out of the crate and they handled the problem better than anyone else could've. PM me if you want info! No I get nothing for referrals just you get good service.
TPC I wanna tour that building your at. I'm just down Temple across the freeway. Show a pic of the fountains at night. They rock!
The units are Liebert 600 Series. Two systems, an "A" and "B", four units in each side are paralleled together into a 4000 amp 480 volt system control switchboard. The switchboard has all of the UPS output and load distribution breakers, as well as the bypass transfer circuit breakers. It's 22 feet long..... :boxed:
The batteries are a new offering from Power Battery, it's a 6 volt VRLA battery the size of an 8D wet cell (like generator cranking batteries). The battery system is 480 volts DC. Each UPS has three strings of 80 batteries, so there is a total of 1920. Lots of battery cabinets........ :rollside:
We have people on staff that connect everything together and terminate the DC conductors in the UPS modules.
All sounds impressive but I have been thinking about buying a convenience store in Arkansas instead of the technoBS job. Only have to sell four things to be successful......beer, bait, tobacco, and lottery tickets. The Arkabillies will make me rich. :D