PDA

View Full Version : Biodiesel boat on msn

spectras only
09-17-2006, 12:59 PM
I'll check this out if it ever makes it to Vancouver . Guys are looking for $5 donations :rolleyes:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14227765/from/ET/?GT1=8506

Tom Brown
09-17-2006, 01:07 PM
My toilet runs on biomass.
Cool boat. I hope his program works out. It would be cool to zoom around the globe on the backs of dead plants and animals. :cool:

spectras only
09-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Can you make bio fuel out if spinach ? There should be lots available for them free :rollside:

Tom Brown
09-17-2006, 01:26 PM
There is a guy in (I think in Texas), he's been in several alternate fuel shows/magazines, who has a huge feed lot. He uses a blade to scrape the crap off his feedlot and it goes directly into a big cesspool.
Once in the cesspool, he waters it down to turn it into mud which he pumps into huge vertical steel tanks he calls 'digesters'. The digesters are heated (with natrual gas) to about 100*F and they contain the same bacteria that is in the human colon. He has to seed them but these bacteria multiply like crazy. I wonder if he seeded them with a coil of his own shit :idea: ..... anyway, these things crank out methane gas like crazy. From the top tip of the tank, he pumps out the methane, cleans it a bit (I don't recall what contaminants he has to clean out) and then pumps it into a huge compressed natural gas tank.
The guy has converted all of his farm equipment, cars, house, barn furnaces... etc., to run on CNG. I think he even fuels a bunch of his neighbors.
Sometimes articles are a little glossy and paint an incorrectly positive view of new ideas but this seemed to be the real deal. This guy was floating in natural gas. He couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
I've always wondered why more people haven't gotten into it. There must be a negative angle that nobody has adressed. :idea:

socalmoney
09-17-2006, 01:33 PM
This is a crazy statement. I wonder if UPS is responsible for this.
Even more dangerous could be the thousands of containers that litter the seas — cargo lost by ships that bob just a few inches above the water line.
If you go out and fish one of these out, can you claim it for yourself. Could be some good loot in some of them.

Cheap Thrills
09-17-2006, 02:10 PM
I've always wondered why more people haven't gotten into it.:idea:
Maybe because ( in my best Sam Kennison voice) IT SMELLS LIKE SHIT ! :D
C.T. :wink:

YeLLowBoaT
09-17-2006, 02:12 PM
There is a guy in (I think in Texas), he's been in several alternate fuel shows/magazines, who has a huge feed lot. He uses a blade to scrape the crap off his feedlot and it goes directly into a big cesspool.
Once in the cesspool, he waters it down to turn it into mud which he pumps into huge vertical steel tanks he calls 'digesters'. The digesters are heated (with natrual gas) to about 100*F and they contain the same bacteria that is in the human colon. He has to seed them but these bacteria multiply like crazy. I wonder if he seeded them with a coil of his own shit :idea: ..... anyway, these things crank out methane gas like crazy. From the top tip of the tank, he pumps out the methane, cleans it a bit (I don't recall what contaminants he has to clean out) and then pumps it into a huge compressed natural gas tank.
The guy has converted all of his farm equipment, cars, house, barn furnaces... etc., to run on CNG. I think he even fuels a bunch of his neighbors.
Sometimes articles are a little glossy and paint an incorrectly positive view of new ideas but this seemed to be the real deal. This guy was floating in natural gas. He couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
I've always wondered why more people haven't gotten into it. There must be a negative angle that nobody has adressed. :idea:
Thats actually how most "new" sewer treatment plants work. Its nothing new been around for a long time.

OCMerrill
09-17-2006, 05:00 PM
Thats actually how most "new" sewer treatment plants work. Its nothing new been around for a long time.
They used to just burn it off but now the "Gas" is reclaimed.

Ike
09-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Actually, you can make biodiesel in your garage out of discarded cooking oil. I've talked to guys who are buying used cooking oils from Micky D and Burger Sling and turning it into biodiesel to run their diesel cars, trucks and farm equipment. I'm sure there are people doing this to run their boats. Just google homemade biodeisel. Your don't need a lot of fancy equipment either. The cost to get into it is really low. If I had a diesel motorhome instead of this gas hog I'd be out back cooking up some biodiesel too.

SHOTKALLIN
09-17-2006, 06:12 PM
U.C. Riverside has just patented a system that turns garbage into diesel fuel.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Puente Hills landfill, the largest in the US produces 2000 gal of bio diesel daily.
They use it to power the landfill heavy bulldozers & sell it to the trash trux.
They also use the methane produced from the composting garbage to generate electricity for a lot of homes. A shitload of homes.
Hyperion sewage treatment plant, does most of LA's sewage treatment, has generated it's own electricity from "digester gas" for 45 years.
Natural gas has 1031 BTU per cu ft, Digester gas is 700 btu per cu ft. Burns so clean and clear, optical (infra red) flame detection won't work.
End product are heavy metals w/bacteria that are brutally poisionous.
New methods of waste combustion management may eliminate this.
Willie Nelson might want to support & encourage the farmer with his Farm Aid program by promoting fuels made from plants, like the growing in popularity E85, which can also be made into synthetic gasoline.
Check this website:
http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/flexfuelvehicles.php
All the negative stuff written is exaggerated, usually from the oil industry or the anti-motorsport Sierra Club & radical CBD. The folks sucessfully shutting down Glamis, Pismo, the Las Vegas Amtrac train and Lake Powell.
2 corn cobs = 1 tablespoon of Bio Diesel. Ya say ya wanna get the US energy independant?
http://www.e85fuel.com/imgs/E85_tagline.gif