PDA

View Full Version : oval to square heads question

wright27
01-16-2006, 09:50 AM
My buddy has a set of oval edelbrock R P M alum. heads on his 454. He wants to put on a hi-rise manifold and is being told that putting square port on oval port heads is ok. Is this true or false.

IMPATIENT 1
01-16-2006, 10:00 AM
My buddy has a set of oval edelbrock R P M alum. heads on his 454. He wants to put on a hi-rise manifold and is being told that putting square port on oval port heads is ok. Is this true or false.
it will work but will cost ya some power.

wright27
01-16-2006, 10:07 AM
That is what I told him. So what would be a good hi-rise for him to go with. Anyone got one for sale?

IMPATIENT 1
01-16-2006, 10:13 AM
i know people here like single plane intakes,but with the oval ports i would prefer the edelbrock rpm intake.if his boat is heavy the rpm intake has a better torque curve near the 2500-3500rpm range.i run a rpm intake on a bbf and i love em.switched last yr to a victor jr. and it dropped on it ass!put the rpm back on a my bottom end felt so much better.i guess it's a preference kinda deal.weight too.

Devilman
01-16-2006, 10:22 AM
i know people here like single plane intakes,but with the oval ports i would prefer the edelbrock rpm intake.if his boat is heavy the rpm intake has a better torque curve near the 2500-3500rpm range.i run a rpm intake on a bbf and i love em.switched last yr to a victor jr. and it dropped on it ass!put the rpm back on a my bottom end felt so much better.i guess it's a preference kinda deal.weight too.
Whats the difference between the Victor & Victor Jr? RPM range?

Cas
01-16-2006, 10:28 AM
The RPM Air Gap is another real good choice. By high rise, I'm assuming you're referring to a tunnel ram? If so, I would bet your buddy will be pretty disappointed, especially if it's a single carb, unless he's only wanting the bling factor.

Wicked Performance Boats
01-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Put on a Weiand Stealth and get the best of both worlds. great all around manifold. Budlight

Brooski
01-16-2006, 10:49 AM
I am running an RPM Air Gap, and it has solid torque and power. Just ask DanHercules...lol

wright27
01-16-2006, 11:27 AM
The RPM Air Gap is another real good choice. By high rise, I'm assuming you're referring to a tunnel ram? If so, I would bet your buddy will be pretty disappointed, especially if it's a single carb, unless he's only wanting the bling factor.
yes tunnel ram sorry. In the hot boat jet tech it says tunnel rams work well on jet boats.

IMPATIENT 1
01-16-2006, 11:47 AM
tunnel rams are only good for high revin motors.if your buddy intends on pullin skiers go with the edelbrock air-gap rpm.they do have the best of both worlds! and give some monster bottom end power for a dual plane.

Aluminum Squirt
01-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Tunnel rams can be difficult to tune and obviously there is the cost of an additional carb. It's definetly got the bling factor, but its rarely worth it unless you have a great deal of horsepower and its not a family/ski boat. I've seen some stupid horsepower out of a single carb set up, so much so, that unless you are really running something extreme, the tunnel ram may not be worth it. Some of the tunnel ram set ups go with the smaller carbs so it will run reasonable well but still have the bling factor. I'm not knocking the guys with the TR's that make it work, they are usually very good carb tuners, its just not a set up I would make an effort to change to if given a choice. Besides, a real TR is made of sheet metal, has dominators on it, and is plumbed for nitrous :D ....now that's bling-Aluminum Squirt

wright27
01-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Tunnel rams can be difficult to tune and obviously there is the cost of an additional carb. It's definetly got the bling factor, but its rarely worth it unless you have a great deal of horsepower and its not a family/ski boat. I've seen some stupid horsepower out of a single carb set up, so much so, that unless you are really running something extreme, the tunnel ram may not be worth it. Some of the tunnel ram set ups go with the smaller carbs so it will run reasonable well but still have the bling factor. I'm not knocking the guys with the TR's that make it work, they are usually very good carb tuners, its just not a set up I would make an effort to change to if given a choice. Besides, a real TR is made of sheet metal, has dominators on it, and is plumbed for nitrous :D ....now that's bling-Aluminum Squirt
speaking of squirt. my buddy is a nitrous dealer and wants to through a 150 hp kit on my boat. Sounds fun to me. Anyone got juice , what should I expect in a boat?

IMPATIENT 1
01-16-2006, 02:51 PM
speaking of squirt. my buddy is a nitrous dealer and wants to through a 150 hp kit on my boat. Sounds fun to me. Anyone got juice , what should I expect in a boat?
i run a 200hp nitrous express hitman kit.i love it!!!!!it'll give ya @ 400-600 more rpm's(speed). good for freakin out v-drive owners when ya pass em!lol :crossx:

SmokinLowriderSS
01-16-2006, 02:57 PM
I'm running an RPM Air Gap on my 454, great manifold, runs HARD. Once all my engine upgrades are done (headers this winter, head porting next winter) I still won't see 6K rpm unless we are airborne so the manifold should still be a great fit.
Been running 75HP nitrous since 1979 courtesy of Marvin M Miller. Going to a 100-150 HP tunable Sniper kit from NOS this spring. I would only use after planed out, and only IF I can't outrun 'em on the other 400 HP. :crossx: That much HP will likely cause me a LOT of cavitation on a holeshot if I arm it first and let the carb trigger it. It'll set you back in the seat if you get flat out and then toggle it in, it's definitely noticable, even my old 75HP. Also, the under-carb plate on the RPM lets the manifold expose even more carb under WFO conditions than just the divider notch of the stock RPM manifold does. Should aid the high rpm ability of the manifold a bit more without sacrificing the low-end & midrange muscle inherent in the dual-plane designs.

Oldsquirt
01-16-2006, 06:16 PM
Whats the difference between the Victor & Victor Jr? RPM range?
The Victor is for 4500-series carbs(Dominator) and the Victor Jr. is for the 4150-series carbs.

Nucking futs
01-17-2006, 04:54 PM
Well my question is, If he's going to put a tunnel ram on his engine and has oval port heads, why not buy a oval port tunnel ram? You could sell the rec. port T-ram (assumeing he already has it) so then you won't have any issues. I saw a nice Edelebrock Victor T-ram with oval ports on ebay for 200 bucks.
Tim

MACHINEHEAD
01-17-2006, 05:48 PM
A-gap for sure. If he has to get a t-ram get an oval port w/450 mech holleys.
9776 list #. There in summit for pretty cheap (190) and they work very very well. Also purchase 2 green acc. pump cams as these carbs have no sec. acc.
pump but are mech secondary. These pump cams offer the longest and largest amount of pump shot. They will usually mount in-line so the linkage and fuel line will run about 70 bucks.$670 bucks with gaskets and your time.
Thats some cheap bling yo

n8dawg
01-17-2006, 07:04 PM
You know you already have a sweet pair of heads and a chevy motor. Great start to rebuild project. F--- the tunnel ram and put a blower on it!
I have a 455 olds with a t-ram a pair of 450 holleys. Tuning is the hardest part. I was told if your going to run a t-ram make sure you go with two carbs than one, better mixture I was told.

Aluminum Squirt
01-17-2006, 11:59 PM
Ya n8dawg, I was told the same thing, that a single carb on a TR manifold was no good for mixture. Can somebody explain this? I have no experience with either a TR or 2 carbs. From the looks of it a TR with a single carb seems to be a good idea. One carb means easy tuning and a TR means good velocity/good cylinder filling/high torque etc. I've been told a TR w/single carb = bad, and I don't doubt any of the multiple people who've told me this, but does somebody have a good (and simple) explaination for me, besides it doesn't work?-Aluminum Squirt

n8dawg
01-18-2006, 06:53 PM
I read that in some book I have. Guess what? Yep can't find that anywhere, looked threw all my books and can't find out why.
They all pretty much say the same thing, tunnel rams are more for looks than performance. I still like the t-ram!

lilrick
01-18-2006, 07:04 PM
my boat only runs 75 on gps but it sure is a kick in the pants gettin there. I have a single carb and an air gap, works good for my combo!

n8dawg
01-18-2006, 08:11 PM
If your running a single-quad top, get rid of it! The single-quad top will burn pistons and usually always strumble out of the hole. That's what I found out .
Recommended for all out competition or marine use only. :coffeycup
Late,
Nate

mj680
01-19-2006, 09:25 AM
If your running a single-quad top, get rid of it! The single-quad top will burn pistons and usually always strumble out of the hole. That's what I found out .
Recommended for all out competition or marine use only. :coffeycup
Late,
Nate
The best combination for a 455 OLDS is a Edlebrock Torker manifold and a
850 CFM Holley carb.Works better than a T/R with 1 or 2 carbs on a jet boat. :cool:

n8dawg
01-19-2006, 05:49 PM
I'm happy with my 455olds t-ram dual quad set up. It pulls hard out of the hole and doesn't miss a beat! It's all in the tuning!!!!!! :cool:

garret
01-19-2006, 08:23 PM
Ya n8dawg, I was told the same thing, that a single carb on a TR manifold was no good for mixture. Can somebody explain this? I have no experience with either a TR or 2 carbs. From the looks of it a TR with a single carb seems to be a good idea. One carb means easy tuning and a TR means good velocity/good cylinder filling/high torque etc. I've been told a TR w/single carb = bad, and I don't doubt any of the multiple people who've told me this, but does somebody have a good (and simple) explaination for me, besides it doesn't work?-Aluminum Squirt
I ran a single carb TR and had no problem but i was told that the front and rear cylinders would run lean plus the carb looks really stupid on the top I had cover it with a mail box of a scoop.

n8dawg
01-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Depending on what your friend likes I would keep the oval port heads and either put on a t-ram with dual quads or put a RPM air gap. It's up to your buddy and his "bling, bling factor."

steelcomp
01-19-2006, 08:46 PM
Well my question is, If he's going to put a tunnel ram on his engine and has oval port heads, why not buy a oval port tunnel ram? You could sell the rec. port T-ram (assumeing he already has it) so then you won't have any issues. I saw a nice Edelebrock Victor T-ram with oval ports on ebay for 200 bucks.
Tim
Ding Ding!!! :D :D This is the ticket. The longer runners, if small enough (like the EdelbrocK oval port Street TR) will make better torque across the board, which will mean more hp, as well. The principal works at lower rpm as well as upper. Most tr's don't work at lower rpm's simply because they're just too big, not because of the design. The Street TR is designed for exactly what you want to use it for. Go for it.

MACHINEHEAD
01-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Correct