PDA

View Full Version : More Power for a 2004 Tahoe 5.3

VDRIVERACING
09-17-2006, 08:40 PM
There is much I appreciate about my 2004 Tahoe 4X4. It has a great ride, the cabin is roomy and comfortable, and I have no idea what MPG it gets, but lots better than the Dodge PU I had prior.
The downside is towing up long grades at 4K rpm @ 50-55 MPH. My boat only weighs 4200 lbs soaking wet. Unfortunately, the Tahoe came with the 3.73's (OK so I blew that decision..).
QUESTION: In your experience, what are the best power "bolt-ons" for this vehicle/engine combo (seat of the pants dif?, types of products, manufacturers, quality, etc.)???

ultra27jay
09-17-2006, 08:50 PM
i would first get a programmer, air intake system. and a cat back exhaust. and see how she does that combo makes a huge difference. let me know if u need any help with the parts i can order all of them. and have them in about one day. this will relly wake up your truck...

Sleek-Jet
09-18-2006, 07:58 AM
What's wrong with running it at 4K up the hills?? :idea:

XTRM22
09-18-2006, 08:25 AM
I don't know alot about the new GM's,(I switched back to Ford in 2000) but I agree with UltraJay. My 94 GMC had the 3.42 gears in it and was a little week on the hills towing my boat (4500 with fuel including trailer). I put in the cold air intake, headers, Gibson catback exhaust, jacobs 8mm plug wires, a crane coil and a jet chip with the tranny pack on it and that truck was night and day different. It still wound up a little tight and had to run 91 octane gas, but it towed the boat great. I only replaced it because it was pretty beat up (construction work and offroad) and because the V-10 had a little more power and torque and would make it on 87 octane gas. I'd start with the intake, programer and exhaust. If you still need more pwer then maybe the blower but I'll bet you'll be pleased with the easy bolt ons.
Chuck

THOR
09-18-2006, 09:05 AM
stay in line with what the others are saying. Diesels will get the most punch from the chips, but gas motors will get some advantages by putting a chip in along with exhaust and air intake.
Take a look at Banks. Their inclusive systems work fantastic. I have used a Banks on the Ford V10 and it is awesome.

MOBrien
09-22-2006, 09:11 AM
I'm in the same sitch... 2005 Tahoe Z71 (5.3) but I did opt for the 4.10's. But this thing is still a pig. 300hp my ass. And I'm only getting like 13mpg...11 towing. OUCH! So I've been looking at cat-backs & intakes since that is where I will start the bolt-ons....then add a programmer after those are installed. I've been looking at several exhaust mfg's though and could use some advice......
*Magnaflow (all stainless/mandrel bent at a good price around $400)
*Gibson (aluminized is very inexpensive $360, but would go stainless $450)
*Corsa (all stainless but know nothing about their automotive stuff $500+)
*Remus (anyone know about these guys from Austria?? Also all stainless at a good price $360)
thanks for any help....
MOB

DMOORE
09-22-2006, 10:07 AM
The 5.3 may make 300hp BUT, it's way up in the rev range. You have to spin them. With a fairly small motor like that, all the bolt ons are not going to make that much of a difference towing. The torque just isn't there. A supercharger is the way to really get some power out of that motor. No replacement for displacement, and that is what a supercharger will make the motor think it is.
Darrell.

VDRIVERACING
09-22-2006, 05:22 PM
I'm in the same sitch... 2005 Tahoe Z71 (5.3) but I did opt for the 4.10's. But this thing is still a pig. 300hp my ass. And I'm only getting like 13mpg...11 towing. OUCH! So I've been looking at cat-backs & intakes since that is where I will start the bolt-ons....then add a programmer after those are installed. I've been looking at several exhaust mfg's though and could use some advice......
*Magnaflow (all stainless/mandrel bent at a good price around $400)
*Gibson (aluminized is very inexpensive $360, but would go stainless $450)
*Corsa (all stainless but know nothing about their automotive stuff $500+)
*Remus (anyone know about these guys from Austria?? Also all stainless at a good price $360)
thanks for any help....
MOB
I checked out the Banks kit for the Vortec 5.3. I do not yet know if they make this for the 2004/05, but it claims 27 lbs of rear wheel torque, and costs about $1200 for the kit. Installation would be a few hundred, I guess.
http://bankspower.com/im_SportTruck_Aug01.cfm

RUSHIN ROULETTE
09-22-2006, 05:31 PM
I have a 2001 5.3 Tahoe 2wd. I'm running a drop in K&N filter. magnaflow cat back and a Diablosport Flash programmer. I just switched gears from 3.72 to 4.10. By far the best bang for the buck was the gears and the programmer. GM uses a thing called torque managment which limits power to the drivetrain. The programmer will let you turn this feature off. All I can say is big difference!!!

It's all Good
09-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Its been said before, if you go the PCM route Westers (http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/Index2.htm) is the way to go.

Up 4 River
09-29-2006, 05:19 PM
i would first get a programmer, air intake system. and a cat back exhaust. and see how she does that combo makes a huge difference. let me know if u need any help with the parts i can order all of them. and have them in about one day. this will relly wake up your truck...
What is the approximate cost for these additional parts? I'm in the same boat as these other guys wishing my Tahoe had more power. Thanks
U4R

VDRIVERACING
10-02-2006, 08:20 PM
What is the approximate cost for these additional parts? I'm in the same boat as these other guys wishing my Tahoe had more power. Thanks
U4R
I can tell you gearing is huge power, about $1200 per differential. I screwed up and bought my Tahoe with 3.73s, knowing damn well 4.10s are the ticket. the Diablo tuner is about $400, and the exhaust would be about $400 plus installation($100?)...

sigepmock
10-03-2006, 07:07 AM
U4R
To re-gear a 4x it should only cost you about $1400 to $1500, this is the real ticket to better towing power but it will hurt your mpg when just cruising do to higher RPM's but still the best bet for all around power. I can recomend the shop I have used for two of my vehicles but it's in Ontario so it might be a little bit of a drive. Next would be the programmer, the Diablo Sport Predator is about $400. We put one on the Wife's Tahoe with the 5.3 and it really woke the thing up. GM uses a programming feature called "Torque Management" that takes inputs from the throttle position, rpm's, load sensor, etc...and adjusts the engine's power output to minimize stress on the engine and transmission....it sounds nice but what it really does is save GM $$$ in warranty repairs. What good is a 300hp engine if it only lets you use 200hp of it when you need it like towing up hill. I have seen actual cases on the dyno where the throttle input was at 90% and the T.M. actually reduced it back to 60%.....no good for towing. The Predator programmer greatly reduces the effects of T.M. and actually makes the truck drive like it should....you give it gas...it goes....but doesn't take it to such a low level as to decrease your reliability. We run the wife's on the 87 octane tune, if you want more power you can run the 91 octane program but it's gonna cost you at the pumps.
We also run a K&N FIP intake on the Tahoe, it's the conical filter with a larger intake pipe. It rev's a little quicker now but there is a noticable increase in engine noise. My wife actually like's it so it's not bad.
As far as exhausts are concerned, be careful....most aftermarket exhaust systems will significantly increase the interior noise and most are prone to the 55 to 60 mph "drone".....which is that annoying low pitch "hummmm" in the cab when cruising down the highway. The stock exhaust really isn't that bad. I'd start with the Programmer, then the intake, then the re-gear....and if you still need more power do the exhaust.
Also to note the 5.3L engine was built to rev. 4000 rpm uphills are not a problem for that motor, just ease off a little so it holds one speed and isn't jumping back and forth between gears.
Just my $.02,
Chris

rude235
10-03-2006, 07:15 AM
U4R, if your tahoe is similar to the one listed above ('04, 5.3L) i can get you the programmer for $400.20 and the magnaflow exhaust for $453.45. those prices are delivered to your door. hope this helps.

VDRIVERACING
10-05-2006, 08:00 PM
To re-gear a 4x it should only cost you about $1400 to $1500, this is the real ticket to better towing power but it will hurt your mpg when just cruising do to higher RPM's but still the best bet for all around power. I can recomend the shop I have used for two of my vehicles but it's in Ontario so it might be a little bit of a drive. Next would be the programmer, the Diablo Sport Predator is about $400. We put one on the Wife's Tahoe with the 5.3 and it really woke the thing up. GM uses a programming feature called "Torque Management" that takes inputs from the throttle position, rpm's, load sensor, etc...and adjusts the engine's power output to minimize stress on the engine and transmission....it sounds nice but what it really does is save GM $$$ in warranty repairs. What good is a 300hp engine if it only lets you use 200hp of it when you need it like towing up hill. I have seen actual cases on the dyno where the throttle input was at 90% and the T.M. actually reduced it back to 60%.....no good for towing. The Predator programmer greatly reduces the effects of T.M. and actually makes the truck drive like it should....you give it gas...it goes....but doesn't take it to such a low level as to decrease your reliability. We run the wife's on the 87 octane tune, if you want more power you can run the 91 octane program but it's gonna cost you at the pumps.
We also run a K&N FIP intake on the Tahoe, it's the conical filter with a larger intake pipe. It rev's a little quicker now but there is a noticable increase in engine noise. My wife actually like's it so it's not bad.
As far as exhausts are concerned, be careful....most aftermarket exhaust systems will significantly increase the interior noise and most are prone to the 55 to 60 mph "drone".....which is that annoying low pitch "hummmm" in the cab when cruising down the highway. The stock exhaust really isn't that bad. I'd start with the Programmer, then the intake, then the re-gear....and if you still need more power do the exhaust.
Also to note the 5.3L engine was built to rev. 4000 rpm uphills are not a problem for that motor, just ease off a little so it holds one speed and isn't jumping back and forth between gears.
Just my $.02,
Chris
Thank you for the info!!! I'll take your advice and start with the Predator. I thought the gears would be more than that because I paid $1100 for my Vette gears. Would appreciate the name of your gear installer. Bill

OCMerrill
10-08-2006, 08:36 AM
We also have a Yukon with 3.73's and my boat weighs about 4200lbs ready for the water.
I have to say it tows way better than I thought it would. For a 327 cu in engine rolling almost 11k lbs down the road I never thought it would be an effortless pull.
I let it run up in the rpm's. A programmer with the elim. of power mgmt. sounds like a great improvement and I will try that.
With out the boat hwy mileage is almost 20 and that is with 18's and big rubber. (in 2002 18's were the ticket)

cc322
10-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Thank you for the info!!! I'll take your advice and start with the Predator. I thought the gears would be more than that because I paid $1100 for my Vette gears. Would appreciate the name of your gear installer. Bill
If your looking for a gear shop these guys are the bomb. They are in Anahiem.
http://www.gounitrax.com/default.htm

OCMerrill
10-08-2006, 09:52 AM
We also have a Yukon with 3.73's and my boat weighs about 4200lbs ready for the water.
I have to say it tows way better than I thought it would. For a 327 cu in engine rolling almost 11k lbs down the road I never thought it would be an effortless pull.
I let it run up in the rpm's. A programmer with the elim. of power mgmt. sounds like a great improvement and I will try that.
With out the boat hwy mileage is almost 20 and that is with 18's and big rubber. (in 2002 18's were the ticket)

sigepmock
10-09-2006, 06:57 AM
Glad I can help. I shopped around looking for a good gear guy because install makes such a huge deal with gears. This shop came highly recomended and he did a great job on two of my trucks and some of our friends too.
Jim Cook
Performance Diff. (in Ontario)
(909)923-0827
Good luck.
Chris

RUSHIN ROULETTE
10-09-2006, 02:44 PM
FYI...I used PDC Motorsports in Brea for my gears. I have done business with them in the past with great service. Talk to Jay Parodi, he is the owner..714-671-9752...he has always treated me right..I bought my Predator online..$310.00 shipped to my door....just my .02 cents