PDA

View Full Version : Here's the numbers..

steelcomp
09-18-2006, 06:47 AM
Well, for anyone who's been following my project, I finally got a chance to get some hard numbers. Off the trailer Saturday the boat ran 10.02 at 104.3. I was really happy with that. I had no idea what light to leave on, so I picked 7, and had a RT of 2.05. Not so good. I was featerhing the throttle to try and keep from hopping too much at the start, and that was using valuable time. Yesterday for my first run I lowered the shoe 1/16th, and added .5* of wedge and this time, just hammered it off the line, leaving on a 9. The rev limiter did it's job, and it loaded and hooked up hard in about a second. One little hop and it was gone. It immediately picked up .3 sec, and ran a 9.70 at 105.52, and this time my RT was .883. Much better. Man, that was cool! I didn't get another run in until 4 hrs later, and the air got pretty bad...everyone's times were falling off. I left the set-up the same, and just focused on a better start. With the bad air, I ran a 9.91 @ 104.2. but this time with a RT of .28. Third run Sat was at 4:20, and I dropped the shoe another 1/16th. While the air was getting worse, I was able to run 9.93 @ 104.6. My start was pretty poor on that run with a RT of .53 and I was a little out of shape, costing me valuable time. That tells me the shoe change was in the right direction again, still being able to run the .93, and a little more mph.
The boat performed flawlessly. I never touched the engine, just drove it. It made awsome power, the boat ran straight and true, and never did anything funny or unpredictable. The work finally paid off, and I got a lot of really nice compliments, for which I say thank you.
Special thanks to Jack Mc'Clure's wife for handling the driving chores for me with the trailer. That was sooooo nice of you (my help flaked on me). Thanks to everyone else for their help, too. I met a few new faces this weekend, (MikeF and Spectra Brent) and it was good to see everybody again. What a great weekend!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-18-2006, 07:32 AM
I knew you would turn some good numbers scott;) You have been busting your ass for quite some time. So how much shoe did you end up with? How far from the keel are you now? Did you notice any nose dive upon shut down?

FuelInMyVeins82
09-18-2006, 08:09 AM
ya, congrats man. you comming back in oct??

Nucking futs
09-18-2006, 08:12 AM
Awesome #'s scott.

RCB19
09-18-2006, 08:25 AM
Nice work Steel! You have gotta be stoked so far.

UBFJ #454
09-18-2006, 04:18 PM
Added 0.5* wedge ... which way, up or down?

Gearhead
09-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Scott.... ALLRIGHT.... and the fun begins again!!! I hope someone got some pictures.... then you can see how the boat set yourself and correlate it to the feel and performance. Nice deal on the McClures helping you on the truck/trailer ramp duties. One of the very important, but almost thankless jobs.
Gearhead

steelcomp
09-18-2006, 05:32 PM
Added 0.5* wedge ... which way, up or down?
Hey Jak...went up another .5...the boat was running very flat.

steelcomp
09-18-2006, 05:42 PM
Scott.... ALLRIGHT.... and the fun begins again!!! I hope someone got some pictures.... then you can see how the boat set yourself and correlate it to the feel and performance. Nice deal on the McClures helping you on the truck/trailer ramp duties. One of the very important, but almost thankless jobs.
Gearhead
Yeah, Steven, the fun definately begins. :D I purchased the video from Redding, so I'm anxious to see it. I was in the far lane most of the day, but I did manage to get one run in the near lane, and some good eyes were there to watch. The boat is wet, and needs to come up some more. Maybe getting rid of the stainless side tanks and the 15 gals of gas I had will help??? :rolleyes:
I'm going to try a little more backcut next time and I already have a 3 gal. fuel cell and pump to mount for the races. Tanks and gas are over 100 lbs...getting rid of that will be good for near 2 tenths. Getting my launch dialed is going to help a lot as well.
I still can't get the smile off my face. :D
You're right about the driving job, and Jacks wife was just way cool. She did an excellent job, and it was a pleasure. Good people, for sure.

steelcomp
09-18-2006, 05:47 PM
ya, congrats man. you comming back in oct??
Thanks and Hell yeah!!
Please come by and introduce yourself...if you were there, I don't remember meeting you. Sorry.

steelcomp
09-18-2006, 05:53 PM
I knew you would turn some good numbers scott;) You have been busting your ass for quite some time. So how much shoe did you end up with? How far from the keel are you now? Did you notice any nose dive upon shut down?Started with 1/16" above the keel, now at 1/16th below. I intentionally took my foot out of it on my second pass on Sat, and yes, it grabbed a little, but not violently, and nothing a little throttle didn't erase. That was at even with the keel. At 1/16th below, I won't test it, I'll just be careful. Not an issue.

poncho-pwr
09-18-2006, 05:54 PM
Congrats steelcomp, I can't wait to try the boat racing thing myself next year hopefully.
If you don't mind saying, what did your boat run the way it was set up before, and what all changes were made from the last time you raced it? I know you redid the bottom and built a new engine but I haven't been around here long enough to know what you were running before.

steelcomp
09-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Congrats steelcomp, I can't wait to try the boat racing thing myself next year hopefully.
If you don't mind saying, what did your boat run the way it was set up before, and what all changes were made from the last time you raced it? I know you redid the bottom and built a new engine but I haven't been around here long enough to know what you were running before.
Boat ran 11.3 with a best of 93.2, full interior, cast iron head 467 (same short block) and a fair pump. Had an MPD B, droop, ride plate and sort of a shoe. The boat was basically stock with a good motor and a few pump upgrades.
Changes were:
New motor, moved forward 4", aprox. 200 hp increase
pump set back 5"
low profile intake cut to 5.5*
Place nozzle extension
"proper" shoe/ride plate
BC stainless w/ inducer
MPD loader
AQ shaft
Jetaway
bottom blueprint
removed full interior, replace w/ race buckets
new Calgo steering which moved seating back 4"

PC Rat
09-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Great job!!!!!!!!! How many rpms does it turn that BC?

shaun
09-18-2006, 06:34 PM
Steelcomp, you had a project going ;)
Nice numbers, i want to see some video!!!

Squirtcha?
09-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Way ta go Scott.

JAY4SPEED
09-18-2006, 06:49 PM
Steel,
I thought I read above that you were running a back cut shoe? What degree if you don't mind me asking? Wouldn't more of a back cut get the ass end higher out of the water? Nice work, been following the project since the beginning since our hulls are remotely similar. I'm in the middle of blueprinting my bottom. Congrats on the numbers!
Jay

steelcomp
09-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Great job!!!!!!!!! How many rpms does it turn that BC?
last I saw was 6500

steelcomp
09-18-2006, 07:37 PM
Steel,
I thought I read above that you were running a back cut shoe? What degree if you don't mind me asking? Wouldn't more of a back cut get the ass end higher out of the water? Nice work, been following the project since the beginning since our hulls are remotely similar. I'm in the middle of blueprinting my bottom. Congrats on the numbers!
JayJay, I'm starting with 1.5* (to the keel) and yes, going to more backcut will help lift the boat. I'll probably try 2* next race.

poncho-pwr
09-18-2006, 07:44 PM
Looks like it all payed off steelcomp. I know it is the sum total of the package that makes it all work but it would be interesting to know what things like the set back and the horsepower alone were worth. I was also curious as to why you don't run a diverter? I have noticed that quite a few race only boats don't run diverters. Does it have something to do with repeatability or something altogether different. Again, Great Job!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Jay, I'm starting with 1.5* (to the keel) and yes, going to more backcut will help lift the boat. I'll probably try 2* next race.
2* are nice, you will notice good lift. Mine lifts like a son of a biatch. Just be carefull when you add more shoe. You can feel mine pull the nose upon shutdown. Im .125 above keel and plan on adding .030 and go fron there......

TRG
09-19-2006, 05:24 AM
My Rogers does not like alot of shoe, as of right now, i have it @ 1/8" above keel, any moree than that, im screwed trying to get her back into the water!
thats ok, cuz im sure i'll be able to run alot more shoe next season!

TRG
09-19-2006, 05:24 AM
...BTW, congrats Steel!

cstraub
09-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Scott,
Congrats, you must be stoked!!! How was the acceleration of the engine? Did she pull quickly through the rpm range? Excuse my ignorance when it comes to impellers but pulling a BC impeller to 6500 rpm with a NA467 is that great, average, or not so good?
Chris

CARLSON-JET
09-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Actually it SUCKS!!
for the other guys running NA467's :yuk:
Great job you did there scott. I really enjoyed reading your build of the motor. the presentation was excellent. FWIW Just for fun I did run 6500 RPM's on the JPC with the BC imp. and thought it was a little less then what I thought it would pull.( assuming the 6500 you recall is accurate) of course I don't think the JPC accounts for a detailed imp ect. moot point I guess. Again, congradulations. Job well done. R.B.

steelcomp
09-19-2006, 07:07 PM
Scott,
Congrats, you must be stoked!!! How was the acceleration of the engine? Did she pull quickly through the rpm range? Excuse my ignorance when it comes to impellers but pulling a BC impeller to 6500 rpm with a NA467 is that great, average, or not so good?
ChrisThanks Chris. The motor is awsome. Never touched it the whole weekend. The throttle response is excellent. 6500 for a BC is good, but it's hard to say "how" good. (For an na 467, I'd say it's outstanding.) There are so many variables, though. Two different BC impellers can have completely different characteristics depending on the detail, and I don't know where this one stands. A more aggressive detail or design on another mfgr's BC may absorb more hp than this one. It's sort of like props...two can have the same dia. and pitch, but be nothing alike. The other thing is, a jet really dosen't have to pull "through" an rpm range...it basically goes to one RPM and stays there. Idea is to create as much power as close to where you think you're going to run. I think we did pretty darn good here, and there's still plenty of improvement left.

bottom feeder
09-19-2006, 07:15 PM
Congrats Scott.
Running hard for the first trip out. Nice job from start to finish.