PDA

View Full Version : Pool filter questions

Partycattin
09-18-2006, 09:40 AM
Any pool maintanance peeps out there?
I have a Pentair 2000 DE filter. It's basically a metal drum with a metal lid.
The users manual states that you just place the lid on top, press it down over the o-ring and put the clamp on. I have serviced the filter 4-5 times over the past couple years and the lid never goes on easy. Is there a special tool or technique involved? I spent about 1 1/2 hours yesterday and just couldn't get the lid on.
2nd question, same filter.
There are 8 filter elements inside this thing. They have a plaster grid covered with the filter material. During the 2nd year of use, the elements all started breaking. Is that normal?
Thanks for any info you can provide.

Bullship
09-18-2006, 09:56 AM
I believe I have the same filter although mine is much older when the company was called Purex. The way I was told to do it was to turn the pump on and when the filter is almost full turn the pump off and put the lid in place.The water flowing back out of the filter kind of sucks the lid down but you have to guide it to make sure it goes on evenly. Two other things to look at 1) make sure the o ring is in good shape (they seem to swell with age) 2)you can get some teflon grease at a pool supply and coat the o ring this helps a lot and will not damage the o ring. I have not experienced problems with the grids breaking down usually I have to replace a grid due to a hole in the cloth usually at the top center of the grid. Hope this helps.

riverracerx
09-18-2006, 09:59 AM
Never had my elements fall apart? Sounds weird?
As for the lid. My neighbor and I have the same Pentair filter, his is a bitch to get on, mine is simple (bigger filter?). Go figure.
For his we have to use three locking vice grips to work the lid on. And he cleans his rubber seal and sprays silicon spray on it to help get it to slide on easier (sounds kinky huh!)
The are relatively the same design but his seems to not want to go on very good.
I think mine is a fiberglass top too, his is steel.
Always make sure your pressure valve is open while doing it too, otherwise you are trying to force it closed while under a tiny amount of pressure.
Good luck

lakewake
09-18-2006, 10:08 AM
It is much easier with two people facing each other on opposite sides of the filter. One holding downward pressure on the lid while the other manipulates the keeper ring into place. The elements inside should last quite a long time. They deteriorate with the chlorine. People who have had a lot of biological waste enter the pool regularly and use "Shock" or super chlorinate will wear the filter elements out faster. One other thing that will tear up the elements is improper sizing of the pump. One that is two big will rip up the screens on the elements. If your pool is fairly new most builders have a "Stub" built into the system with a hose bib on it. You can get a pressure gauge at Lowes or home depot for under $10 and check it, or just replace the one on top of the filter. They don't last very long on top of the filter due to constant pressure. They are spring loaded and the spring wears out.

bullseye
09-18-2006, 10:09 AM
I recently got rid of my filter like this , sounds to be the same . I would put theclamping ring on tighten evenly then tap the ring going around it then retighten and do this a few times .
as for the filter mine were old replace a few of them a couple years back and the repaired some untill they were no good , it was almost as cheap to buy a new filter system than to replace every filter one by one .
When some of them had holes I would clear silicone on them to get me by , it did work for a while . good luck

Tom Slick
09-18-2006, 10:12 AM
I believe I have the same filter although mine is much older when the company was called Purex. The way I was told to do it was to turn the pump on and when the filter is almost full turn the pump off and put the lid in place.The water flowing back out of the filter kind of sucks the lid down but you have to guide it to make sure it goes on evenly. Two other things to look at 1) make sure the o ring is in good shape (they seem to swell with age) 2)you can get some teflon grease at a pool supply and coat the o ring this helps a lot and will not damage the o ring. I have not experienced problems with the grids breaking down usually I have to replace a grid due to a hole in the cloth usually at the top center of the grid. Hope this helps.
This is exactly how it is done, so follow these directions and you'll have your lid on in seconds!
:)

Partycattin
09-18-2006, 11:41 AM
The HB crowd is great. Thanks for the info. I'm going to put on my gloves and go another round with this thing trying the tips you've provided. Let you know how it goes.
Jayson

Partycattin
09-18-2006, 12:41 PM
That worked perfect. I filled it, put the lid on, tapped it a few times and done. Why wouldn't they put this in the user's manual? Instead it just says:
put lid on and tighten clamp. Must be generic instructions for all their filters.
Thanks ago guys!