PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Generators

TCN
09-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Onan vs. Generac????????????????????? Any difference. The trailers we are looking at has these brands. Help.

racecar.hotshoe
09-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Onan is all we have ever had with no problems......... :)

Fire Angler
09-18-2006, 03:58 PM
Onan 5500, 1000 hours on mine. Running Great.
And yes, it does run 2 AC units.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Onan.
Every year they get a bit better.
More quieter, less vibration,, better and better.

Froggystyle
09-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Onan.
Every year they get a bit better.
More quieter, less vibration,, better and better.
Do NOT buy a 6K Onan. They are lemons that will not run during heat at anywhere near full capacity. It is known at Onan, so they are building the new 6600 to replace them.
My RV has two factory installed AC units that cannot be run in heat by the factory spec'd generator. They are likely to replace it with a new 6600, and I won't be the first.
Expect to see a LOT of 6K's on the market soon on resale. Nearly new too is my guess.

Desert Rat
09-18-2006, 04:21 PM
I have a Generac In my motorhome and I recommend the ONAN.... The Generac is one noisy biatch... nuff said
PS I will say that the Generac WILL run my two AC units though in all weather

Trailer Park Casanova
09-18-2006, 04:27 PM
Do NOT buy a 6K Onan. They are lemons that will not run during heat at anywhere near full capacity. It is known at Onan, so they are building the new 6600 to replace them.
My RV has two factory installed AC units that cannot be run in heat by the factory spec'd generator. They are likely to replace it with a new 6600, and I won't be the first.
Expect to see a LOT of 6K's on the market soon on resale. Nearly new too is my guess.
Good heads up tip to know.
If you can get the rare Honda RV Generator , it's da kine.

Caribbean Jet
09-18-2006, 04:28 PM
For an off brand my Brother in law has a Yamaha and he loves it, its super quite and it runs like a champ. It was less than the Honda's and Onan's. Don't get me wrong, I love my Onan.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-18-2006, 04:38 PM
For an off brand my Brother in law has a Yamaha and he loves it, its super quite and it runs like a champ. It was less than the Honda's and Onan's. Don't get me wrong, I love my Onan.
Honda makes 2 pancake style built in generators.
Water cooled, brutally powerfull, quiet,, awsum.
Used to be sold through Northern.
A few guys on the Glamis sites installed them and they are Da Finest Kine.

HMF'er
09-18-2006, 05:22 PM
onan

havaduner
09-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Never had any problems with Onans. Have two friends, bought the same brand trailer, both with Generac's, both had all kinds of problems.

TCN
09-18-2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks to everyone.

rrrr
09-18-2006, 07:13 PM
I build a lot of telecom and data center facilities. Generac is cheap shit. In 2002 had a new 1.2 megawatt unit throw rods during the startup load test, destroyed the engine.
No one in the industry buys their crap....
I would imagine the same quality extends downline to the mini gennies too.... :rollside:

MONEYFURNOTHIN
09-18-2006, 07:51 PM
Onan, quiet and relaible. I have 15 of them quiet deisel and gasoline, no problems.

Flyinbowtie
09-18-2006, 08:07 PM
In our old Class A Southwind we had a 6500 Onan.
The thing was rock-solid, had over 900 hours on it when we sold the coach.
That generator was by far the most dependable part of the entire RV.
I changed the oil/filter every 50 hours, and the air filter every year.
It would run two roof airs, a 500 watt stereo, a blender and the microwave all at the same time.
My Arctic Fox Cabover Camper came with a propane-powered Generac, I believe it was a 3400.
It was junk from the get-go. The previous owner had phone #s written all over the manual, and it quit two trips after we purchased the camper. The closest dealer is 30 miles away, and he didn't want to touch it.
Propane-fueled gennys, are, apparently, very sensitive to elevation, and cold weather.
In the camper, with only 15 gallons of propane, they will consume a big chunk of your fuel.
With less than 100 hours, I yarded the damn thing out, and re-vamped the box. A Honda Eu2000 sits in there now. Ya, I gotta drag it out to yank the rope to start it, but at least it runs, every time, and doesn't burn all my propane. It will run my roof air, as well, but only if the camper fridge is not set to switch to 110 when it senses a power source.
It will even run my Hobart 120 Mig Welder...