PDA

View Full Version : spacing

JET BUG
09-24-2001, 10:03 PM
morning all
one quick question,how far forward of the rudder should the prop be is there a sweet spot or doesent it matter
thanks in advance
cheers
J.B

captain
09-25-2001, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by JET BUG:
morning all
one quick question,how far forward of the rudder should the prop be is there a sweet spot or doesent it matter
thanks in advance
cheers
J.B
everone tells me 2 keep the prop as close 2 the bearing support[skag]as possible.keeps drive shaft & prop in better balance

JET BUG
10-02-2001, 08:44 AM
thanks captain but i need some more info how far from the back of the prop to the front of the rudder and what distance from the bottom of the boat to the prop
thanks
J.B

boatguy222
10-02-2001, 05:30 PM
There is no "rule of Thumb" for placement of the rudder. It veries from Boat to Boat and bottom type to bottom type.
What boat are you running and where were the strut and rudder set now?
Marc

spectras only
10-11-2001, 10:32 AM
Jetbug,the rudder shaft is usually as close as possible to the transom [the strongest part of the hull to support the rudder shaft is where the hull meets the transom ,"L" angles come to mind],but the rudder can be as close as possible to the prop/propshaft,as long as it's easy to remove the prop without the need to remove the rudder.I like the prop to be close to the strut,and still allow to place the prop puller behind it.That's it!My 0.02