PDA

View Full Version : Does it REALLY work??

draggin craft
09-18-2006, 10:14 PM
I have heard guys talking about running a square port tunnel ram on their oval port heads, claims of dyno runs proving performance improvments.. is there anyone who has seen good or bad results with this? The reason im asking .. i happen to have a square port intake and oval port heads. It doesnt look like it would work.. or atleast im not sure what gaskets to use. What do you guys think.. let me know!!
George

QuickJet
09-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Thought we touched on this in the spam section.....but here it goes again.
First off, this thread needs to be moved to the gear head section. More people might see it that way. I know your used to posting about who is bringing the salad and who is bringing the cold cuts...but this aint Banderlog!!!!
Second, running a square port intake with oval port heads is stupid and will only cost you power. Dart has reccomended running an OVAL port intake with some of their larger square port heads to increase velocity, but only when ran on smaller cubed big blocks (496 and smaller).
Your engine ( a cammed suburban motor) needs an oval port intake as long as you are running oval heads. Look for the right intake or step up the heads. Even when you get your all mighty square ports you aren't going to want to run that square port intake you already have. Consider it a $40.00 bench conversation piece. You can converse about what a piece of shitt it is
:D

colechillin
09-18-2006, 11:29 PM
Wow thats pretty harse Scott! But oh so true! My two cents to you George your engine doesn't make any power so I don't think your going to notice any difference in what you do! Scott I thought on Banderlog it was who was tossing salad and who is bringing the cold cuts! hahahahah

RICHARD TILL
09-19-2006, 01:10 AM
it will work. use the square port gaskets. i ran a combination like that in the 11 second bracket. it was all i had at the time and it luckily it fell right on the numbers i wanted. i used felpro no. 1211 gaskets.

Beautiful Noise
09-19-2006, 04:55 AM
i happen to have a square port intake and oval port heads.
I ran this for year's knowing that I was going to switch over to the Square Port heads.....Just make sure you use the Square Port Gasket's.

Marty Gras
09-19-2006, 08:04 PM
You guys ran big port intakes on oval heads without PORT MATCHING? I've run "LS7 type" intakes with port matched/ blended ovals and the big valves. 461", 10.2 compression, 850, 565/232 on 108 (Isky) open headers. "Stealth" oval with ovals and big valves, never any "TR" on ovals. Why bother?

DUCKY
09-19-2006, 09:00 PM
I ran a square port Weiand Team-G on small oval port heads. Used square port gaskets and did about a 1/2" radius on all the ports using the gaskets as my guide. Motor ran very well up to about 5800. When the bottom end went south, I re-used the same heads and intake with an old PFM twin turbo setup, and it still ran great. I don't know about the tunnel ram idea... I am not a big fan of them anyways.