PDA

View Full Version : Havasu Shooting Last Weekend

It's Only Money
09-19-2006, 05:31 AM
Victim shot three times
By BRIAN DiTULLIO
Monday, September 18, 2006 11:18 PM MDT
The man allegedly killed in a shootout with the Lake Havasu City Police Department was a career criminal with a lengthy rap sheet.
Franklin Furgerson, 36, was the victim in a shooting late Saturday night on Magnolia Drive. However, investigators are saying that he vowed to not let himself be captured by police again to his ex-wife several times before the incident.
Furgerson was a convicted felon in three states: California, Oregon and Nevada, according to police. He had been convicted of a wide range of crimes, including burglary, theft, assault, evading police, escape from prison, obstructing police, giving false information to police, resisting arrest, spousal battery, forgery and drug charges, among others.
While the investigation is ongoing, more details were released on Monday about the string of events that ended in gunfire Saturday night.
Furgerson was shot three times, according to preliminary autopsy results released late Monday afternoon. Furgerson showed a gunshot wound to each hand and one to the chest area, which apparently was the fatal gunshot.
Furgerson allegedly fired three rounds from a .45-caliber Bursa that was reported stolen from the Lake Havasu City area last June.
The shooting initially involved four police officers: Earl Chalfont, Jake Bekkedahl, Eric Lamacki and Roger Jessup. Three of the four officers fired their weapons, totaling 16 shots, according to investigators. Chalfont was the only officer who did not discharge his weapon in the incident because of his position. Six rounds were fired each from two of the officers and the third officer fired four rounds, although which officer only fired four rounds was not available on Monday.
Chalfont and Bekkedahl also were participants in the only other officer-involved shooting in Lake Havasu City's history in October 2004 regarding the Michael Judge case.
After the initial confrontation in the residence on Magnolia, the officers pulled back and called for the SWAT team, according to police. After about two hours and no communication from inside the residence, the SWAT team made a strategic entry and discovered Furgerson had been killed.
All four officers are on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation, per department policy.
The incident began when patrol officers attempted to stop a 1990 gold Honda Civic hatchback for a traffic violation near Barranca and Sandwood drives at 9:35 p.m. Saturday.
Furgerson failed to stop and a chase began. During a 17-minute pursuit, the driver allegedly pointed a weapon and drove his vehicle toward an officer who was attempting to control traffic in his marked police unit, police said.
During the chase, which reached speeds up to 50 mph, Furgerson allegedly threw clothing, stereo equipment and a weapon from his vehicle. He managed to avoid a deployed spike strip before a police supervisor called off the pursuit as it entered the downtown area of McCulloch Boulevard.
Officers used vehicle registration information to locate Furgerson's vehicle in the 1800 block of Magnolia Drive. Officers spotted the suspect, who reportedly fled on foot. Patrol officers set up a perimeter and initiated an area search. Police contacted citizens in front of a duplex at 1830 Magnolia Drive. The tenant in unit No. 101 reportedly told officers the suspect was not there but gave officers consent to search. Four uniformed officers entered the unit and observed a weapon being pointed at them from the end of a hallway.
According to the police report, the officers gave commands to drop the weapon and within seconds the gun was pulled back and pointed at them again. Three officers discharged their duty weapons, striking Furgerson multiple times. Furgerson fired at least one round, according to police.
The above was taken from the Lake Havasu News Herald
I have to comment on the above...
This is the same Jake Bekkedahl as mentioned in the article that shot and killed another citizen of Lake Havasu City. Now in both cases, maybe rightly so. He is also the son of the Manager of the Lake Havasu Marina - another person who takes the law into his own hands by twisting the noise laws to his own desire. Is this a pattern of familial disregard? Could both of the shootings have been handled differently? Maybe/maybe not. The above departed dirtbag was scum as reported and the world is probably well ridden of him. There have only been two officer involved shootings in Lake Havasu City in history according to the same newspaper (yesterday's edition) and both "happened" to have the same Jake Bekkedahl involved. Coincidence? Or Cowboy mentality? You decide.

Schiada76
09-19-2006, 05:36 AM
Another scum bag off the streets. :crossx:
Give the officer a commendation.

RitcheyRch
09-19-2006, 05:43 AM
One less scum bag off the streets. Congrats to the officer for a job well done.

callbob4homes
09-19-2006, 05:47 AM
16 shots fired and 3 hits? maybe get these guys some shotguns. j/k sort of.
good riddance anyway.

lawbreaker2
09-19-2006, 06:08 AM
good riddance anyway.
May be they should go to NY city and take some lessons. :rolleyes:

BajaMike
09-19-2006, 07:19 AM
Victim shot three times
This is the same [b]Jake Bekkedahl as mentioned in the article that shot and killed another citizen of Lake Havasu City. Now in both cases, maybe rightly so. He is also the son of the Manager of the Lake Havasu Marina - another person who takes the law into his own hands by twisting the noise laws to his own desire. Is this a pattern of familial disregard? Could both of the shootings have been handled differently? Maybe/maybe not. The above departed dirtbag was scum as reported and the world is probably well ridden of him. There have only been two officer involved shootings in Lake Havasu City in history according to the same newspaper (yesterday's edition) and both "happened" to have the same Jake Bekkedahl involved. Coincidence? Or Cowboy mentality? You decide.
What the hell are you talking about?? :confused: "Pattern of familial deregard"??:confused:
That is about the most retarded comment I have seen on here in a long time!
:argue:

SHOTKALLIN
09-19-2006, 07:53 AM
Victim shot three times
This is the same [b]Jake Bekkedahl as mentioned in the article that shot and killed another citizen of Lake Havasu City. Now in both cases, maybe rightly so. He is also the son of the Manager of the Lake Havasu Marina - another person who takes the law into his own hands by twisting the noise laws to his own desire. Is this a pattern of familial disregard? Could both of the shootings have been handled differently? Maybe/maybe not. The above departed dirtbag was scum as reported and the world is probably well ridden of him. There have only been two officer involved shootings in Lake Havasu City in history according to the same newspaper (yesterday's edition) and both "happened" to have the same Jake Bekkedahl involved. Coincidence? Or Cowboy mentality? You decide.
:argue: ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS. :argue:
Lake Havasu PD is lucky to have a cop on the force of this caliber. To even consider familial disregard and the marina in the same thread as a hero is a disgrace. How many times would you like this officer to put his life on the line while protecting YOU before you give him his due respct? Does he have to catch a child rapist, or a bank robber first? Maybe a terrorist? What is with you? :hammerhea
Maybe his dad has issues but Officer Bekkedahl is a hero that won't hesitate to save your life or mine when the fit hits the shan. Promote this Hero!

Schiada76
09-19-2006, 07:55 AM
Hell! Sounds to my like that officer needs to give lessons! :crossx:

socalmoney
09-19-2006, 08:21 AM
A couple of things here. You are asking us to vilify a Havasu Police Officer without giving all the info. Just because one Officer was involved in the only two shootings in the towns history does not mean he is out for blood. Here is an article that speaks of the other incident.
Judge's mother sues city
By Brian DiTullio
Tuesday, March 7, 2006 10:40 PM MST
Lake Havasu City and three of its police officers are being sued in United States District Court regarding a 2004 police shooting. The suit alleges excessive force, negligence and negligent infliction of emotional distress.
The lawsuit, filed Oct. 21, 2005, stems from the shooting death of Michael Judge by Lake Havasu City police on Oct. 25, 2004. The suit, filed by Judge's mother, Jackie Parrish, demands a jury trial with damages to be decided by that jury.
In interviews conducted by Today's News-Herald, and according to the reports of several different investigators, the facts of the case are that on Oct. 25, 2004, Judge left a message telling his mother he was leaving Lake Havasu City for a new life. Judge, 34, had complained that his job wouldn't allow him to advance, and that he wanted to start over somewhere else.
Judge argued with Parrish at the Home Depot on State Route 95 just after noon after she finally caught up to him. Carrying a handgun, his only real possession after a brain injury led to years of rehabilitation and dependence on his family and Social Security, Judge left his mother and began walking north along the highway.
Parrish called police, asking for help. A few minutes later, police confronted Judge on the highway and ordered him to drop his weapon. Judge, a very large man standing well over 6 feet tall and weighing about 350 pounds, refused and raised his weapon toward the police.
The three officers confronting Judge fired their weapons, hitting him four times and killing him.
Although several witnesses corroborated police statements that Judge raised his weapon toward them, this fact is not mentioned in the lawsuit, and Parrish alleges the shots were fired “without adequate justification or provocation.”
The officers involved, Jake Bekkedahl, Earl Chalfont and Aaron Stanley, all are named in the suit, as are their wives.
Parrish further alleges that the actions violated Judge's constitutional rights, were motivated by “spite or ill will,” and stated the city was negligent for failing to train the officers properly.
Neither Lake Havasu City nor the Police Department wished to comment at this time due to the pending nature of the lawsuit.
Parrish said on Tuesday that no one pressured her into this action.
“My filing decision is my own,” she said. “I'm completely alone in making my decision.”
Now if Officer Bekkedahl was in a situation where someone raised a gun at him, then I really don't think anyone can blame him for any wrong doing. This appears to be the case in both incidents.
The thing that seems a little shocking to me is out of 16 rounds, only 3 found it's target. I would like to know whose rounds actually hit the subject. It is possible that the three rounds came from the same weapon. To be hit in the hands which are chest level when raised up to fire a handgun is to be expected when aiming for center of mass. One round did get by and stop the fight. So far to me it sounds justified. I don't know the Marina owner so I can't comment on the whole family attitude that was mentioned.
Do LHCPD have to qualify monthly or quarterly with their duty weapons?

SHOTKALLIN
09-19-2006, 09:15 AM
I think the amount of rounds that were on target are about average for alot of shootings.

Kilrtoy
09-19-2006, 09:23 AM
this thread is the stupidest shit i have sen on here.
I have met this guy twice and he is one of the most personable people on this department, compared to the rest of them.
LET ME ASK YOU, IF SOMEONE POINTED A GUN AT YOU, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
I KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO? I WOULD DO THE SAME THING HE DID, DRT

uvindex
09-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Could both of the shootings have been handled differently? Maybe/maybe not.
.... Or Cowboy mentality? You decide.The article you posted says, "the officers gave commands to drop the weapon and within seconds the gun was pulled back and pointed at them again. Three officers discharged their duty weapons, striking Furgerson multiple times."
So are you disputing the facts given in the article? If yes, then please tell us what really happened. If not, then why is it "cowboy mentality" for LEOs to shoot a suspect who points a weapon at them?

ThongMagnet
09-19-2006, 11:13 AM
good riddance anyway.
Actually they were trying to shoot the gun out of his hands. two of the officers hit the hands using 6 rounds each, and the other officer missed the hands and hit the chest using only four rounds.
There are still two bullets left to shoot the azzhole who told them no one was in the apartment.

CP Dad
09-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Just goes to show how easy it is for people to Monday Morning Quarterback.......... It scares me to think that some percentage of the population actually feel this way. It is reassuring to see the large negative response to this type of thinking. It is very easy to say the officer could have handled it differently, however, if you're not the one looking at the business end of the other guy's weapon, how can you make that call????? The bottom line is that if you willingly put yourself between the officer safely going home to his/her family at night by presenting a deadly threat to a cop, good bye............. One last thing, Why are we calling this person a victim???????

SHOTKALLIN
09-19-2006, 06:14 PM
Actually they were trying to shoot the gun out of his hands. two of the officers hit the hands using 6 rounds each, and the other officer missed the hands and hit the chest using only four rounds.
There are still two bullets left to shoot the azzhole who told them no one was in the apartment.
Did they hook the azzhole roommate?

SHOTKALLIN
09-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Just goes to show how easy it is for people to Monday Morning Quarterback.......... It scares me to think that some percentage of the population actually feel this way. It is reassuring to see the large negative response to this type of thinking. It is very easy to say the officer could have handled it differently, however, if you're not the one looking at the business end of the other guy's weapon, how can you make that call????? The bottom line is that if you willingly put yourself between the officer safely going home to his/her family at night by presenting a deadly threat to a cop, good bye............. One last thing, Why are we calling this person a victim???????
Too many people have this retarded ass train of thought. They are the same retarded ass people who make donations to the ACLU.
Victim is definitely the wrong word. Better word is corpse.

Phat Matt
09-19-2006, 07:05 PM
This is the same Jake Bekkedahl as mentioned in the article that shot and killed another citizen of Lake Havasu City. Now in both cases, maybe rightly so. He is also the son of the Manager of the Lake Havasu Marina - another person who takes the law into his own hands by twisting the noise laws to his own desire. Is this a pattern of familial disregard? Could both of the shootings have been handled differently? Maybe/maybe not. The above departed dirtbag was scum as reported and the world is probably well ridden of him. There have only been two officer involved shootings in Lake Havasu City in history according to the same newspaper (yesterday's edition) and both "happened" to have the same Jake Bekkedahl involved. Coincidence? Or Cowboy mentality? You decide.
Are you a fu cking idiot? He is a cop doing his job. When was the last time you had a gun pointed at you. :mad:

Phat Matt
09-19-2006, 07:11 PM
I just read through the other replies. I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way.
I bet someone wishes the delete option was still available. If I were you, I would get rid of any pictures that show your boat, because I don't think you would be getting any love if LHCPD saw this PUBLIC forum.

TCHB
09-19-2006, 07:13 PM
Very Clear
Point the gun at someone and you better expect return fire is coming. Scum bag off the streets.

Kilrtoy
09-19-2006, 07:13 PM
I just read through the other replies. I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way.
I bet someone wishes the delete option was still available. If I were you, I would get rid of any pictures that show your boat, because I don't think you would be getting any love if LHCPD saw this PUBLIC forum.
Im sure they monitor this site on a reglular basis, they would be stupid not to.
I would not be surprised if they did not have a full time officer watching this site...

Phat Matt
09-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Im sure they monitor this site on a reglular basis, they would be stupid not to.
I would not be surprised if they did not have a full time officer watching this site...
I thought that is what you get paid to do. :p

vee-driven
09-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Took Out The Trash And Got Me Some Vacation Time Woohoo!!!!!

Trailer Park Casanova
09-19-2006, 07:20 PM
When I spent time on the US Marine Corps shooting team, I got to meet the best shots in the world in Tournaments.
We were competing in Honolulu in a charity tourney put on by the Honolulu PD.
Rifles and 38 cal targets. We carried 45's so we sucked with 38's, but competed anyway in the spirit of charity.
Teams from all over the world were there to compete.
Sandhurst, West Point, Phillipine Army, LAPD, Spain, HPD, to name a few of many.
The best overall shot was the Pres of the Phillipines, Marcos. He is arguably one of the best marksmen to ever live.
This post has nothing to do with his politics, or his corruption, or if ya love him or hate him, that doesn't concern this post:
He held a really nice party at the Illikai hotel after the meet for all the participants. Don Ho sang,, great food,, open bar lots of news media.
Lots of stories in the news at the time reguarding police shootings.
In those days cops could legally shoot fleeing felons. Look it up.
The LA Times turned left wing about that time,, and was really talking up the officer involved shootings.
A reporter from the Honolulu Star Newspaper asked Marcos about his remarkable skills, mentioning: " Why don't cops shoot to slow the suspect down, like shoot off their belt buckle so their pants fall down, or just wing them?"
Marcos, the best shot in the world at that time replied:
"That's just in the movies" said Marcos,, "Hollywood fiction" he said.
Then Marcos added:
"The movie cowboy tossing up the handfull of silver dollars and shooting holes in each one before they hit the ground is pure fantasy.
Shooting to just 'Wing' someone is un-realistic.
No one has ever been or ever will be that good.
You shoot to kill, or you don't shoot at all."
That, from one of the best, if not theee best pistol marksman that ever lived.

bignet
09-19-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm tripping out on the amount of information given in the article...They named the officers involved AND who pulled and who didn't pull the trigger?? :confused: They never give that info in the LA Times....They just say.."Someone got shot, and an LAPD officer was involved.." :rolleyes:
bignet

blown dough
09-19-2006, 09:01 PM
We saw the very beginning of the whole thing. We were driving and all of the sudden this little honda passes us out of the blue at a high rate of speed. My husband was pissed then all of the sudden about 5 or 6 cops went past us with there lights on, when we got to the end of the street it was blocked and we got turned around so we didn't run over the spime stripes.

SHOTKALLIN
09-19-2006, 09:01 PM
wasn't there a pic in his avatar before?

tntperformance
09-19-2006, 09:13 PM
:argue: ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS. :argue:
Lake Havasu PD is lucky to have a cop on the force of this caliber. To even consider familial disregard and the marina in the same thread as a hero is a disgrace. How many times would you like this officer to put his life on the line while protecting YOU before you give him his due respct? Does he have to catch a child rapist, or a bank robber first? Maybe a terrorist? What is with you? :hammerhea
Maybe his dad has issues but Officer Bekkedahl is a hero that won't hesitate to save your life or mine when the fit hits the shan. Promote this Hero!
Answer me this.. why would you leave a 16 year old and a 12 year old on the beach without parents?? This was after an arrest on the 5th of last month!
Both of those two were responsible 4-that. GET A CLUE!!!!

LHC30Victory
09-19-2006, 09:47 PM
sounds to me like this thread isn't about whether the LHC cops did their job right - it's about some sort of beef with Jeff Bekkedahl (and maybe his dad at the marina). If that is so, just deal with that issue cause I REALLY dont think ya want to pursue the first part :220v: :argue:

Kilrtoy
09-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Answer me this.. why would you leave a 16 year old and a 12 year old on the beach without parents?? This was after an arrest on the 5th of last month!
I'll buy a vowel Pat, Because Im clueless on this

BoatPI
09-20-2006, 06:56 AM
What needs to be done is STOP buying that raqg of a newspaper. What editor in using clear unbias thinking would permit the work "victim" to be used for the "suspect" of an assault on a police officer. There are some serious issues in that rag, and listing a felon as a "victim" is beyond a poor choice of words.

Phat Matt
09-20-2006, 08:01 AM
Why were the parents arrested in the first place?

blackcloud75
09-20-2006, 08:03 AM
Was the 16 y/o emancipated??? Does the 16 y/o have a drivers' license???? And have the responsibility of driving around a 12 y/o????
Just looking for my "CLUE"..........cause I ain't got none(refer to my sig)

IDRPSTF
09-20-2006, 10:09 AM
As a proprietor in this town I am glad to hear that the Police do not endanger themselves or citizens by hesitating and contemplating the political correctness of there actions. We (Citizens) are now safer to not have a wife beating, house robbing , law evading, gun waving, high speed chase starting, never be taken alive saying prick as a threat. This guy was a threat to our lives, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Next time I see officer Jake Bekkedahl, The doughnuts are on me!!!
And maybe a gift certificate to Sams (16/3) c’mon guys.

Phat Matt
09-20-2006, 10:14 AM
Next time I see officer Jake Bekkedahl, The doughnuts are on me!!!
Doughnuts are old school. It's all about the bagels now. :D