PDA

View Full Version : Marine Aluminum Flywheels

Mid-life Crisis
09-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Can someone point me in the direction of a place that sells Marine aluminum flywheels for an internally balanced BBC. I'm having issues finding one that is solid aluminum and not one that has the steel center made for a clutch :mad: I'm in the Orange County area so something local would be preferred.
Thanks in advance.

cfm
09-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Innovation Engineering out of GA.
770-972-2972
http://www.innovationeng.com/flywhls.htm

TRIMMIN
09-19-2006, 01:39 PM
I have a ??? When would you use a flywheel and when would you use a flexplate? Also why alum over steel, weight?

Highlimit9000
09-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Can someone point me in the direction of a place that sells Marine aluminum flywheels for an internally balanced BBC. I'm having issues finding one that is solid aluminum and not one that has the steel center made for a clutch :mad: I'm in the Orange County area so something local would be preferred.
Thanks in advance.
I have one not in use.

Mid-life Crisis
09-19-2006, 04:33 PM
I have one not in use.
Damn it!! I just spent 3 hours finding a new one and ordered it to be shipped by Thursday. I'm getting tired of paying full pop for all this new stuff :cry: Thanks for the offer...

LUVNLIFE
09-19-2006, 04:50 PM
Hate to say it but I have one I would part with also. BTW you weren't at Ming this weekend were you? Someone was looking for one there also.

Mid-life Crisis
09-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Hate to say it but I have one I would part with also. BTW you weren't at Ming this weekend were you? Someone was looking for one there also.
Wasn't me, but I'm tryin like hell to be running at Ming next Thursday etc.. :crossx:

FlatStupid
09-19-2006, 06:37 PM
Damn it!! I just spent 3 hours finding a new one and ordered it to be shipped by Thursday. I'm getting tired of paying full pop for all this new stuff :cry: Thanks for the offer... Your payin full pop! Right the F on!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought I was the only one. Yeehaw!

LeE ss13
09-19-2006, 07:11 PM
I have a ??? When would you use a flywheel and when would you use a flexplate? Also why alum over steel, weight?
A flexplate can kill someone. Tom Label of Auto Marine Engingeering was on the holding rope at Firebird when the boat next to him had the throttle stick on start up at wide open. The Flexplate exploxed and sent a 10 inch piece of ring gear into his shoulder. The X-Ray is one for the books.
"Also why alum over steel, weight?" ...... Your kidding, right?

Mid-life Crisis
09-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Your payin full pop! Right the F on!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought I was the only one. Yeehaw!
LOL I forgot that this was boat racing for a second. I need to shut up and keep spending. My apologies!!

HM
09-19-2006, 07:47 PM
I have one not in use.
Not any more. :D

TRIMMIN
09-19-2006, 08:10 PM
LeE ss13 I'm to new here to joke, but I'll ask my engine builder tomorrow.

schiada96
09-20-2006, 03:52 AM
With no converter or any type of support I don't feel they are stiff enough. Even the thick SFI approved ones.

Hallett
09-20-2006, 04:26 AM
With no converter or any type of support I don't feel they are stiff enough. Even the thick SFI approved ones.
I guess i have been lucky with my SFI no problems yet.

MAXIMUS
09-20-2006, 06:32 AM
I can tell you first hand, if you have a stout motor then a flex plate "sfi" will not make it. I have been plagued with starting problems & as soon as I switched to a fly wheel its been as sweet as pie... Flex plates flex & cause the gear to get crazy...

Life's Rough
09-20-2006, 06:56 PM
A flexplate can kill someone. Tom Label of Auto Marine Engingeering was on the holding rope at Firebird when the boat next to him had the throttle stick on start up at wide open. The Flexplate exploxed and sent a 10 inch piece of ring gear into his shoulder. The X-Ray is one for the books.
"Also why alum over steel, weight?" ...... Your kidding, right?
Flexplates have a wonderful use for everyone commenting, Racing or at the river a clean flexplate over an open fire is one of the best ways to cook Carne Asada. I belive they may even have some other use I just don't know what that is.

Pee Dub
09-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Your payin full pop! Right the F on!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought I was the only one. Yeehaw!
I thought I was the reason God made Gentiles, someone has to pay retail!!!!

FlatStupid
09-20-2006, 08:56 PM
Flexplates have a wonderful use for everyone commenting, Racing or at the river a clean flexplate over an open fire is one of the best ways to cook Carne Asada. I belive they may even have some other use I just don't know what that is.Pat you F'n beauty! There is more to life than vodka and carne asada. WTF was I thinkin? See ya in Bako Bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!