PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of a 1972 Sanger I looked at today!!!!

DansBlown73Nordic
08-24-2002, 04:54 PM
I have known of this boat for many years. I talked with this guy before with the same old story. Im going to restore it someday.... :rolleyes:
Well this time he said its for sale.... eek!
So today I went to take a look. It needs plenty of TLC...
It has some great points and some not so good.
It has a rail system,Casale looks real good,Plates are there and working. Paint is shot. The inside is a mess. Was set-up for a SBC.
See what you guys think :confused:

DansBlown73Nordic
08-24-2002, 04:57 PM
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/Sanger_Resized_1.JPG

DansBlown73Nordic
08-24-2002, 04:59 PM
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/Sanger_Resized_2.JPG

EricinNv
08-24-2002, 04:59 PM
I'd give you my opinion, but I don't have one yet. What do you think Dan? It Does seem to have lots of options (kinda like my Haskell)
[ August 24, 2002, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: EricinNv ]

DansBlown73Nordic
08-24-2002, 05:00 PM
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/Sanger_Resized_4.JPG

DansBlown73Nordic
08-24-2002, 05:01 PM
I think it looks like alot of WORK....... eek! eek! eek!

DansBlown73Nordic
08-24-2002, 05:02 PM
Oh and I forgot the Monkey is free!!!!!!!! wink

Hostile
08-24-2002, 05:08 PM
Dan
Looks just like I expected,all that is needed is
time and $$$$ How valuable does he think it is?
Give me a call.
Skeeter

Mohavekid
08-24-2002, 05:09 PM
Dan, you're right it's a lot of work. Whether it's worth it depends on what you're interested in and what you want. If you juust want a flat to have fun with, you probably can do better for less money buying a complete boat. on the other hand, if you have more time, talent, money and desire, this could be just the project for you. As I learned when I built a boat in similar condition, it took way more time and money that I figured and it ended up costing 2-3 times what I ended up selling it for. The up side is when it was done I knew every inch of it from top to bottom inside and out. I was done exactly the way I wanted it, from paint, to interior to engine set up. If you decide to go for it, good luck and thanks for saving another classic Sanger from the junk heap.

EricinNv
08-24-2002, 05:11 PM
Monkeys are cool. I got a Builders Emporium steel (forged of course) :D lawn rake with my deal. I say, follow your heart (and your pocket book). I wanted a V-drive really bad cuz it was a family tradition, but I got a Jet because the price was right (may not end up that way of course). But there's always next year, right???

HammerDown
08-24-2002, 05:14 PM
I don't know Dan...even if it was free...your talking a LOT of time, do ya have that?...and a lot of money, that only you can answer.

FLYTE RISK
08-24-2002, 07:02 PM
QUESTION IS do you have more time than money.... J/K How much does he want My Dad aran that same boat Back in the early 70's at marine stadium in long beach N.D.B.A than..As a matter of fact LARRY SHWABENLAND loaded he boat at Sanger onto my dads homemade trailer in stage 1 form..... eek!

DansBlown73Nordic
08-24-2002, 07:23 PM
The guy wouldn't give me a price. I think he thinks its worth alot eek!

Riptide01
08-24-2002, 07:28 PM
HANG ON HERE. I have to check the old Sanger brochures and see if the bow light and stern light were options. hahaha.
Dan what is he asking?
It looks very saveable.
Whats the bottom look like? Is it a runner bottom?
Sanger made the runner bottom , the ski boats and I believe a special bottom for the circle boats.
The bottoms were changing faster then the deck designs back then.

Riptide01
08-24-2002, 07:30 PM
Oooops answered my own question when I went back and looked at the pictures again.
Its not a runner bottom.
Can tell from the plates.

DansBlown73Nordic
08-24-2002, 08:02 PM
Its is a 1972. I asked the guy if he was sure it was a 1971 and he said nope its a 72....

DansBlown73Nordic
08-24-2002, 08:10 PM
Im pretty sure this is going to be my new Sanger!!! Just thought Id give you guys a peak.... :D

DansBlown73Nordic
08-24-2002, 08:11 PM
OOOOPSSS forgot the THE PICTURE!!!! http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/Sanger_Bubble_1.JPG

MJS
08-24-2002, 09:39 PM
Dans66Stevens,
Buy the boat.It do`est matter how much it cost as long as it`s not out of the ballpark. But we always have to start some where. I really hope you can get it for little or nothing.But where do you start,Old boats are the begining. Every boat I`ve ever had, Has always been an old boat.AND I`VE LOVED EVERY ONE OF THEM.Check out the new Threads, Under new Boat

HammerDown
08-25-2002, 04:26 AM
Dan, that looks like my friends new (75) Sanger Super Jet...his has 4 bucket seats...and a jet drive. So how much for this one? Seems like your hooked on the Sangers for some reason???? If I were you I'd be hunting down a 21 Daytona, for the ride if nothing else. (I know they made them in a V-Drive)
That boat (sanger) looks to be very clean, good luck are ya going to get it?

Backfire
08-25-2002, 05:50 AM
If the guy cleaned the trash out of it,cleaned the parts and the boat up and took it inside, he might get $1200 for it in this part of the world! If the paint was nice and it had foot override and a tandem trailer, perhaps 2 grand. In New York boats like this may be priceless, so if you really want a low profile long deck flatbottom and the price seems fair to you,GO FOR IT! It looks as though you could simply put a marinized engine in it and go after spending a couple of days cleaning out the trash! GOOD LUCK!

old rigger
08-26-2002, 07:52 AM
Dan66stevens,
except for the dopey running lights and the misaligned and mis-matched gauges in the dash,
what's not to like? All the hardware appears to be there, twin spun tanks, hell the things even been capped.
If the bottoms straight, the decks not full of stress cracks and the price is right, I'd jump all over it.
Restofreak can set you up with the other seat, and a SMC is about the cheapest motor to build
there is.
No telling what you'll find buried in all that crap. I bought a boat once that had been sitting for a while at one of the boat shops. It was a trade in. The motor was good, but the seats were shot. When I cleaned it out, under the deck up by the bow eye I found a little zippered pouch that was full of some previous owners vacation cash. (this also told me that the boat must have been sunk)
I was pretty young at the time and was trying to work my way up to a nicer boat. I redid the seats with the money in the pouch, put in some new carpet used if for the summer then sold it. If it was as cool as this one you're looking at, I'd kept it longer.

coolchange
08-26-2002, 08:17 AM
Check the left rear at the transom for stress and rot. also the right front tow board at the stringer. Thats a circle hull. See if the v drive rolls over smooth. At least it has J-drains so it couldn't fill with to much water. Ya Rip those lights were an option, but didn't see to many people with the cajones to do it! Remember the first guy to throw out a number loses. 1200 sounds about right.

Riptide01
08-26-2002, 03:56 PM
I was kidding...
Sanger didnt really install those lights at the factory. Did they???
Must of made Sanger Jack cringe when those left the factory.

DansBlown73Nordic
08-26-2002, 06:14 PM
The lights were added by the last owner....I couldn't turn the V-Drive because the drive shaft loop was covered with a huge BEE Hive!!! eek! eek! eek!

coolchange
08-27-2002, 08:59 AM
So was I....

shirkey4750
09-21-2002, 11:17 AM
Dan bought another boat, so if anyone else is interested in the 74 Sanger let me know. The guy that owns it realley wants to sell it.
John

DansBlown73Nordic
09-21-2002, 04:10 PM
yup Im headed out in the morning to pick-up my new Nordic Flatty!!!! :D I will post pictures tomorrow night.