PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter/water seperator question

1968Droptop
09-19-2006, 07:37 PM
I'm interested to know what you guys recommend for a fuel filter/water seperator ? I'm going to be building a 750HP Ford (give or take a few ponies). It'll have a single 1150 Dominator with mech fuel pump. The boat I just purchased has a fuel filter/water seperator in-line already. But it has some tiny inlets/outlets and I'm concerned it won't flow enough fuel. What are your recommendations ? As always, thanks !

Ken F
09-19-2006, 08:03 PM
HTP just took me through the exact same senerio. 1/2" id fuel lines from the tanks (including pick-up tubes) and everything has to be the same size clear to the pump. watch your tank switching valve too!!! Just had my Ford with a 1050 dynoed and with 3/8" lines fuel pressure was dropping to 4.1 lbs at 6200. Had to step up to the next larger size. Went with a Holley Mechanical pump (140 gph). At 6200 I was using 44 gallons per hour. So much for long cruzes eh? lol
Ken F

wet77
09-20-2006, 02:09 AM
bought mine from HTP also, I ran one line with a ball valve from each tank into the seperator and one line out of seperator to the fuel pump then to the fuel rail on the carb.
I just open or close which ever side draws more to balance out the system, it seem's to have worked fine for the last 2 seasons.
Also I am running return lines from a bypass type regulator at the fuel rail with a mallory marine electric fuel pump. Runs no less than 7.5 psi all day long.

flat broke
09-20-2006, 07:35 AM
You can find Sierra and Purolator separator/filter kits with 1/2" fittings. Probably the cheapest bet and they work. Hack job runs the Sierra version on his 735hp Ford with two 750s and has no problems with the setup. I ran the same separators with my 800+hp BBC and also had great results.
Chris

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
09-20-2006, 07:53 AM
Omc Supplied The Bigger Fuel Ports On Their Fuel Block, Don't Buy The 1 For A Mercruiser, It Has The Small Ports...bill.

GasGuzzler
09-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Got this one on mine. Can flow two lines in and out if needed, or block one off.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=-1&catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=14197

bp
09-22-2006, 05:54 AM
I'm interested to know what you guys recommend for a fuel filter/water seperator ? I'm going to be building a 750HP Ford (give or take a few ponies). It'll have a single 1150 Dominator with mech fuel pump. The boat I just purchased has a fuel filter/water seperator in-line already. But it has some tiny inlets/outlets and I'm concerned it won't flow enough fuel. What are your recommendations ? As always, thanks !
drill and tap the inlet/outlets to 1/2", change plumbing accordingly. it'll work just fine.

jrork
09-23-2006, 07:41 AM
You can find Sierra and Purolator separator/filter kits with 1/2" fittings. Probably the cheapest bet and they work. Hack job runs the Sierra version on his 735hp Ford with two 750s and has no problems with the setup. I ran the same separators with my 800+hp BBC and also had great results.
Chris
This is what I have on mine Droppy. 1/2 fitting with AN-08 lines the whole way. Double check the actual size of the pickup tube in your tanks as well like KenF says. Many seem to be small (mine were) and a point of restriction.
Mine also has an extra inlet and outlet so you can run lines in parallel (sp?) through it as well.