PDA

View Full Version : Long Beach

Ion
09-20-2006, 07:23 AM
A friend of mine and I are heading to Long Beach to visit a friend and hopefully do some fishing, among other things. Does anyone know the fishing m.o. around there? My friend in LB is not tuned into that scene much, so I'm hoping to find someone who knows a thing or two. And...re: the other things...any good eats, or must-sees in LB (aside from West Coast Choppers) or nearby? We're also hoping to hit Avalon on my friend's 25' Formula. That should be adequate, right?

NOTALENT
09-20-2006, 07:27 AM
Boat should be fine, I would have another boat go with you though. Check the weather and swells as well. Get sea tow as well....it would suck to get stranded. What type of food are you looking for?? Joes Crab Shack, Yard House, HOOTERS :crossx: Great places to eat.

Do F150's Float?
09-20-2006, 07:33 AM
And wave while you're going thru the marina. I might be able to see you from my office ;)

TrojanDan
09-20-2006, 07:34 AM
There are a couple of fishing boats in Long Beach but just travel 10 mins further west to San Pedro and there are a couple more operators out of San Pedro, 22nd Street Landing to be exact. Should be ok either way. They have 1/2 day, 3/4 day and overnight trips.
Long Beach has Pine Ave (or Street) in Downtown LB where a lot of good bars and restraunts are. :cool:

CBadDad
09-20-2006, 07:38 AM
If you're in the LBC gotta find Belmont Shore (2nd Street). Lotta good bars and restaurants within stumbling distance of each other. Panama Joes is one of my favorites.
The Belmont Pier also runs fishing boat charters.
If you're gonna do the downtown thing find Joes Jost. I thinkit's around 4th & Pine. Killer 20 oz schooners of ice cold beer and good bar grub too.
Have fun!

NOTALENT
09-20-2006, 07:40 AM
If you're in the LBC gotta find Belmont Shore (2nd Street). Lotta good bars and restaurants within stumbling distance of each other. Panama Joes is one of my favorites.
Panama Joes is awesome....They always have a live band as well....To bad its so small.
Whatever you do....if anyone tells you to go to Ripples....stay clear! :220v:

yamakazi
09-20-2006, 12:12 PM
If you're going over to the island, I would fish there for sure. Meter 80', drop some chum and wait a few minutes. HUGE schools of bonito will show up w/some yellowtail mixed in. It's a (almost) sure bet right now over there. Fish closer to Two Harbors, that's where we found the majority of them. Good Luck :)

Parker Dreamin
09-20-2006, 02:05 PM
If you're gonna do the downtown thing find Joes Jost. I thinkit's around 4th & Pine. Killer 20 oz schooners of ice cold beer and good bar grub too.
Have fun!
Joe Josts is a cool place to stop by and have a "special, egg and PBR".. It is on Anahiem, nowhere near 4th and Pine. Call 411 in Long Beach to get the exact address.

lilrick
09-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Have fun!
Joe jost's is at Anaheim and Temple

CBadDad
09-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Joe jost's is at Anaheim and Temple
I wouldn't reccomend someone not falmiliar with that area to go there.
Although the one on Anahiem is the original, there used to be one downtown too. I can't believe it didn't survive but I haven't been there in years. It was bitchen place and I have lots of great memories from those days.

steve-o13
09-20-2006, 02:48 PM
between avalon and the east end swarming with banita just a little ropalo light test and you wont be able to get them out of the water fast enough also three or four miles around the east end there is jellow tale look for kelp pattys and in avalon there is a guy who does fish charters either on a 40 food sport fisher or a 27 foot center consol there catching everything from yellow tale to big halibut.

Havasu1986
09-20-2006, 02:55 PM
Joe Josts is a cool place to stop by and have a "special, egg and PBR".. It is on Anahiem, nowhere near 4th and Pine. Call 411 in Long Beach to get the exact address.
I think they closed the Joe Josts near downtown

Ion
09-20-2006, 05:08 PM
If you're going over to the island, I would fish there for sure. Meter 80', drop some chum and wait a few minutes. HUGE schools of bonito will show up w/some yellowtail mixed in. It's a (almost) sure bet right now over there. Fish closer to Two Harbors, that's where we found the majority of them. Good Luck :)
Are there any particular times when the fishing is best? And...do you just drift, anchor or troll? I've never ocean fished off a friend's boat before and I don't think he's done much either. Are you using lures or live (aside from chum)? Any advice would be appreciated. If we decided to get on a charter, what can one expect to pay, per person, for a half-day?

Trailer Park Casanova
09-20-2006, 05:12 PM
A friend of mine and I are heading to Long Beach to visit a friend and hopefully do some fishing, among other things. Does anyone know the fishing m.o. around there? My friend in LB is not tuned into that scene much, so I'm hoping to find someone who knows a thing or two. And...re: the other things...any good eats, or must-sees in LB (aside from West Coast Choppers) or nearby? We're also hoping to hit Avalon on my friend's 25' Formula. That should be adequate, right?
Saltwater fishing now is hitting about 30 miles south of the Mexican border.
pretty slow up here.
Avalon is fun at nite, get a mooring and stay at the super cheap Hermosa Hotel.
At nite hang at Luau Larries.
Yardhouse is a good place to eat and drink in Long Beach.

scooooter7
09-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Or just go to the north side of the island and snorkle with a sling spear. You might get lucky and get a halibut or two.

breezeblocker
09-20-2006, 05:51 PM
corner of anaheim and temple. joe josts is a must see when in the lbc!! dont forget to buy a shirt ,and check out the "wall of fame".

wolfie
09-20-2006, 06:32 PM
corner of anaheim and temple. joe josts is a must see when in the lbc!! dont forget to buy a shirt ,and check out the "wall of fame".
But make damn sure your outta there after dark.

breezeblocker
09-20-2006, 08:23 PM
But make damn sure your outta there after dark.
i forgot about that, i usually go on sunday afternoon :rollside:

bchbum
09-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Better have your fishing license, they check all the time at Davies . Belmont Pier doesn't have fishing boats ,at this time . Pier Point landing has a bunch of different boats going out daily . :cool:

CBadDad
09-20-2006, 08:58 PM
Belmont Pier doesn't have fishing boats ,at this time . :
Just goes to show you how long it's been since I've been there.
I'll just shut up now.

all faded
09-20-2006, 09:18 PM
try tequila jacks at shoreline village