PDA

View Full Version : California sues carmakers over global warming

Angry Inch
09-20-2006, 11:49 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14924286/
SAN FRANCISCO - California filed suit against the world's largest carmakers on Wednesday, charging that greenhouse gases from their vehicles have cost the state millions of dollars.
State Attorney General Bill Lockyer said the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Northern California was the first of its kind to seek to hold manufacturers liable for the damages caused by their vehicles' emissions.
Lockyer, a Democrat, said the complaint states that under federal and state common law the automakers have created a “public nuisance” by producing “millions of vehicles that collectively emit massive quantities of carbon dioxide.”
Carbon dioxide emissions and other greenhouse gases have been linked to global warming.
Lockyer's office said that “under the law, a ‘public nuisance’ is an unreasonable interference with a public right, or an action that interferes with or causes harm to life, health or property.”
“Global warming is causing significant harm to California’s environment, economy, agriculture and public health. The impacts are already costing millions of dollars and the price tag is increasing,” Lockyer said in a statement. “Vehicle emissions are the single most rapidly growing source of the carbon emissions contributing to global warming, yet the federal government and automakers have refused to act. It is time to hold these companies responsible for their contribution to this crisis.”
Lockyer said he would seek "tens or hundreds of millions of dollars" from the automakers.
The lawsuit names Ford, General Motors, Toyota and the North American units of DaimlerChrysler, Honda and Nissan.
LockyerÂ’s action comes 48 days before the November election. He is termed out of office this year and is running for state treasurer.
“This is the silly season of elections in the fall, and obviously he thinks this will gain him a few marginal votes,” said Sean McAlinden, an economist with the nonprofit Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, Mich. “I don’t think it means anything more than it says. It’s California politics.”
But activists welcomed the move.
"Industries responsible for the pollution that drives global warming should expect more suits like this until we have effective national legislation to stop global warming," David Doniger, a staffer with the Natural Resources Defense Council, said in a statement.
Carmakers earlier sued to block a 2005 California law that would require them to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from new vehicles.
California and 11 other states are also involved in a lawsuit challenging the Bush administration's refusal to regulate greenhouse gas emissions. The Supreme Court is expected to hear that case during its upcoming term.
Last month, the state Legislature passed a landmark bill designed to regulate emissions of greenhouse gases from industries. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is expected to sign the measure into law by the end of the month.
Reuters and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves.

Mardonzi
09-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Just read that,, does that mean that the State of Taxifornia should sue itself for condoning the sale of these vehicles by collecting sales tax and property tax on them as well as collecting road use and sales tax on the sale of "fossil fuel"??

Sleek-Jet
09-20-2006, 12:00 PM
That's like sueing your wife for getting pregnant... :rolleyes:
All this from the state the spawned the "Car Culture"...

BRSTQUEST
09-20-2006, 12:04 PM
What a huge waste of our tax dollars. I guess the state doesn't have any vehicles???? I bet most are made by the same manufactors they are suing. I hope that if Ford and Chevy are giving deals to the state they make them pay full boat now. Why doesn't the state sue McDonalds because it makes people fat and they end up going to the doctors more. Wait, why don't they sue road builders because people get hurt while driving. How about we sue the Sun because it causes skin cancer.......Why don't people stop blaming others for their problems and quit big lil pu$%ies!!!!!! God stuff like this pisses me off to no end

soupersonic
09-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Then we should remove the vehicles and start growing hay to feed the horses :)
Fock, my coffee's hot gdammit :mad:
Alright who's the focker that got my boat wet? :mad:

Sleek-Jet
09-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Then we should remove the vehicles and start growing hay to feed the horses :)
Fock, my coffee's hot gdammit :mad:
Alright who's the focker that got my boat wet? :mad:
PJ O'Rourke wrote in one of his books...
Pollution has always been around. At the turn of the century, New Yorkers were knee deep in horse exrement, from all the horse drawn wagons and carts. So, you can either die of typhoid at 28, or skin cancer at 80...
So... the choice is yours. :D

centerhill condor
09-20-2006, 01:00 PM
that's rich... you cali guys are gonna be walking to your jobs at the buggy whip factory. These state lawyers are out of control...if you have money they'll find a black robe to make you hand it over...I don't suppose they could sue the people driving the cars? would that make too many people mad?

Dave C
09-20-2006, 01:04 PM
they should sue my ass... its just let out some gas thats gonna destroy the environment too.... :rollside:

YeLLowBoaT
09-20-2006, 01:05 PM
they should sue my ass... its just let out some gas thats gonna destroy the environment too.... :rollside:
methane is 100x better then CO2 as a green house gas. :)

Dave C
09-20-2006, 01:13 PM
good... cuz there is a lot more where that came from AND we are going to mexican food tonight.... :rollside:
methane is 100x better then CO2 as a green house
gas. :)

Singleton
09-20-2006, 01:37 PM
shit, I need to move out of this state.
School sucks (privite school for kids), I pay out the ass in taxes (I like the beach view I have so I deal), but stupid lawsuits. Time to tell the GF we are moving.
Oh wait, no company in Az, Nz (need to be close to Havi) is going to pay me what I want. Guess I am stuck living in stupid as state.

wsuwrhr
09-20-2006, 06:39 PM
The new state motto of california, "Home of the dumbest politicians in the world live here" !!!!
And this guy actually gets paid for being such a bafoon !!!
I am now embarassed to be a Californian.
Common sense seems to be a thing of the past.
The gene pool needs some clorox.
Brian

Nord
09-20-2006, 07:03 PM
First of all this is the craziest sh*t I've ever read, however, for those of you who say your ashamed to be a Californian..........get the F*ck out!!! We live in one of the greatest states there is!! I've been to Tn. and it was nice and the people are friendly, but I sure couldn't stay out there and get paid what I get paid here thats for sure, plus there wasn't a hell of a lot for I guy like me who is used to having a lot of entertainment i.e. River, Beach, Snow covered mountains, etc....all within 15-45 minutes away... Then there is property value..... Its cheaper almost everywhere else, but that is pretty relative for the most part to the wages for the jobs, cost of living etc.... We pay more to live here because of what RE guys????
LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.....
~NORD~

wsuwrhr
09-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Angry
First of all this is the craziest sh*t I've ever read, however, for those of you who say your ashamed to be a Californian..........get the F*ck out!!! We live in one of the greatest states there is!! I've been to Tn. and it was nice and the people are friendly, but I sure couldn't stay out there and get paid what I get paid here thats for sure, plus there wasn't a hell of a lot for I guy like me who is used to having a lot of entertainment i.e. River, Beach, Snow covered mountains, etc....all within 15-45 minutes away... Then there is property value..... Its cheaper almost everywhere else, but that is pretty relative for the most part to the wages for the jobs, cost of living etc.... We pay more to live here because of what RE guys????
LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.....
~NORD~

Nord
09-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Angry
lol, no, but come one.........really....
I love California..........Even though the people are mean, the property is overpriced, the taxes are out of control, Property tax alone is crazy, I pay almost 2900 a year in property tax alone. The violence, the gangs.......and so on....
But it is a bitchen place to live...;)

xs ultra
09-20-2006, 08:26 PM
Just read that,, does that mean that the State of Taxifornia should sue itself for condoning the sale of these vehicles by collecting sales tax and property tax on them as well as collecting road use and sales tax on the sale of "fossil fuel"??
Good point!

YeLLowBoaT
09-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Lets see 48 days til the election. I predict we won't ever hear of this again in 49 days. :)

SummitKarl
09-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Why did I know this was going to be a "dateline San Francisco", before I even opened the thread :rolleyes:

jimslade
09-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Why don't they sue all them farm animals for their hay farts.

Wizard29
09-20-2006, 08:56 PM
Why don't they sue all them farm animals for their hay farts.
LOL!
Is that a major problem in Canada? :)

atxwrangler
09-20-2006, 09:03 PM
i'll bet my pacheck, the politicians that :rolleyes: thought this one up,won't get caught dead walking to work!

moneypit
09-20-2006, 09:04 PM
i wonder what kind of car he drives...

02C5RZ06
09-20-2006, 09:11 PM
You have got to love Cali :argue:

Flyinbowtie
09-20-2006, 09:21 PM
That idiot Lockyer is a politican with eyes on bigger and better things, and is just trying to find an issue that he can "identify" with the "people" over. As you would expect, he is too far removed from reality and too weak in the stomach to take on any real issues.The guy is an attorney AND an elected offical. Can you get any further removed for the real world?
Somebody already said it, whatever contracts the defendants have with the state for vehicles and maint. would certainly be one place to start. Moving any manufacturing facilites that might have left here OUT would be next, and, since the state likes the sales taxes, gasoline taxes, dmv taxes, and other revenue generated by the operation of these vehicles in this state, the next thing I'd think about doing is finding a way to STOP putting ANY of that revenue into the state's pocket.
I, too am about embarrassed to be a Californian.
Of course, we can always for for Moonbeam to replace him. :rolleyes:
I think I'll write-in somebody that has a chance to do a better job than either of these idiots.
Perhaps Donald Duck.

Cas
09-20-2006, 09:23 PM
i wonder what kind of car he drives...
probably has a limo with a driver along with free gas, maintainance and insurance.