PDA

View Full Version : Boost guage sender

delusional502
09-20-2006, 10:18 PM
This may be a stupid question.
Do I have my boost guage sender in the right spot?
My guage doesn't work at all so put another one in and still nothing, went to the engine and when running I unscrewed the hose and it appears to be sucking air and not blowing.
As I said, this may be a stupid question here but I'm stumped.
I've attached a pic showing the braided hose to the sender near the distributor if that's any help.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

P-Money
09-21-2006, 03:30 AM
at idle the carb butterflies are closed = vacuum. Once your up and running it will start to make boost. See this tread:
http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=125066

x7734x
09-21-2006, 05:40 AM
Yeah what he said blip the throttle and you should see a slight reading.

g935
09-21-2006, 09:20 PM
looks like you have it in the right place. Make sure that you don't have any leaks at the fitting behind the guage. Take the line off at the manifold and take an air chuck from you air compressor with just a little bit of pressure and fire some air through the line. The guage should jump. I did this the other day to mine to fix a leak that I couldn't trace. I fixed it in minutes. Hope this helps.
Geoff

502 JET
09-22-2006, 02:59 AM
Did you check the gauage on the water?
You can disconnect the boost line at the engine and connect to a vaccume pump to check for a leak.

ghittner
09-23-2006, 07:26 AM
I had the exact problem when I ran a boost only gauge. I don't know if it hurts the gauge when you are producing vacuum under the blower at idle and partial throttle, but I changed to a boost/vacuum gauge in one and it now works perfectly. My sender is right where yours is. The gauge was either bad out of the box or got hurt by vac. I still do not show any boost unless I'm under load ON THE WATER. Producing 8 pds.

DMOORE
09-23-2006, 02:32 PM
My boat is set up with the vacume/boost type gauges. It doesn't make any boost until about 60mph and 3200rpm's. Until then it is still in vacume. Even if I rev the motor in neutral it will usually stay in vacume. Yours might do the same, take her out a put a load on it.
Darrell.

ghittner
09-23-2006, 04:15 PM
My boat is set up with the vacume/boost type gauges. It doesn't make any boost until about 60mph and 3200rpm's. Until then it is still in vacume. Even if I rev the motor in neutral it will usually stay in vacume. Yours might do the same, take her out a put a load on it.
Darrell.
Same same.....

delusional502
09-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Thanks Guys,
I'll check with an air hose tonight and if that doesn't work I guess I'll have to take the boat out and give it a run.
There's worse ways to spend a day. :)

ghittner
09-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Go easy on the air pressure with the hose! You can blow a few pounds with your lungs.